Hillwood Interviews

shadow

Thanks for the positive statement.

Glad to hear the good stories. Where is your son going to school?

What is an IB course?

Although my son is graduating from HIllwood next week, I'd like to with the new coach all the luck in the world. There is talent there if he can figure out a way to tap into it. As far as all the conversation about how "bad" Hillwood is, my son is graduating with honors after taking many courses of AP classes and some IB courses...and Hillwood is one of a handful of schools in the state to offer IB program. My son will be attending college on a full ACADEMIC scholarship and also will be playing football at a DI AA school in the fall. Also as editor of his school newspaper, he won numerous award from Vanderbuilt for the quality of the paper and it's writing. So, I feel safe in saying he got a pretty fair education from Hillwood. Also as far as the diversity, he has said many many times he would not trade that "education" for any education in a Williamson county school where every student looks and dresses like he does.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SACDAWGS, there weren't 18 applicants for Hillsboro and they have been to multiple clinic bowls. Spin Art. Also, the Independence game is the only one that Hillwood won. Wasn't that like 21-20 or something?

The fact is the Hilltoppers had three straight winning seasons in 02,03 and 04. Before that I believe it was 1996 when they had a winning season. Before that it was 1990. There is an absolutely brutal problem with eligibility over there. Apathy runs rampant. Bobby has his work cut out for him. No amount of "heel clicking" is going to change that. Unfortunately, there is nothing else being done over there.

I guess you can not believe what you read in the Tennessee papers. Sheesh!

As for the IHS game last year between the two teams...it was fun game to watch, both teams playing in the monsoon that took place that night. Yes, the hilltoppers did win the game in overtime. I saw some good young talent on both teams. Sad to hear about players not being eligible. To gain the fame on Friday nights...

Congrats to you and Jared . I assume he gets to go back to receiver at Morehead? Never said the education was not available at Hillwood. You can lead a horse to water............... Good luck Jared.

Yes he will be back at receiver and very happy for it. Appreciate the good wishes. As far as basketball goes, he just didn't enjoy it much his junior year and thought he would enjoy being their biggest fan more his senior year, which he did. This of course was much to my disappointment, I'd much rather watch him play than sit in the stands with him.

Edited by hillwoodfan

I am a student at Hillwood currently and I am VERY unhappy with EVERYTHING that has and has not been done! The principal is a total JOKE! B) , He didn’t want to be at Hillwood and he is not wanted at Hillwood! :ph34r: Why would almost thirty teachers leave in one year, to me that’s unheard of!? The answer is Mr. Lang! Things are not getting done on or off the playing field! And as for test score, congrats to the one hundred people in the school who try hard, as for the rest they need a new school with better teachers. Those kids should just stay home, I am not trying to say all these mean things but these are the way things are as I see them as a student at Hillwood, and it is awful

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for making me laugh this hard in the morning. 4'10" cheerleader is who they put in charge. Hillwood's trouble began when they relocated all the north Nashville kids from Cheatham Place projects up to 23rd avenue north to Hillwood High from McGavock in the fall of 2001. McGavock was suddenly "cleaned up" by Tribue and Hillwood went from being a hidden "gem" in West Meade to the horrible stink-hole it is now. You can spin that with whatever PC approach you want to, but that is the sad truth. Now Pearl-Cohn only has 700 students (built for 1500), Whites Creek barely has 1000 (built for 1800)., but Hillwood has 1400. They had 1000 when the zones were changed. There are more students attending magnet schools living in the Hillwood cluster than any other school zone. I would bet that there are more students attending private schools from their zone as well. It should have been closed 20 years ago instead of Bellevue. It is too late now. Over 50 teachers have left the school in the last two years. Several retired earlier than they had planned just to get away from what is going on there. Others have transferred to other schools in the system or out of county. The bottom line is you can lead all the cheers you want to, but only so much dirt will fit under that rug. B):) Quit hiding it and start cleaning it out. :D

lol.............excuse me may I ask what the Cheatham Place projects have to do with Hillwood's trouble it could be anything going on in that school causing trouble so my question is what are you saying.............? and why so much disrespect towards the school? ......"Hillwood went from being a hidden "gem" in West Meade to the horrible stink-hole it is now." lol :thumb:

I usually just read these posts; they sometimes have some interesting facts included. This one has several interesting reflections. HERE IS ONE THAT I THINK IS QUITE INTERESTING.

In the late 60's, at the onset of that social experiment called "busing"..........the Metro Nashville School system had roughly 90,000+ students. The system had 25 or so neighborhood type HS's.

Now, some 40 years later (Nashville has at least doubled in population)......the Metro system has just recently passed 70,000 in student population and spending quite a bit more money than it did in the 1960's. The system has what? 13 HS's!

Some very good neighborhood schools (both white and black) were closed to enhance the "experiment" and the results are quite apparent. Segregation of the schools was absolutely wrong, but taking the "neighborhood" out of the schools was also a mistake.

It worked somewhat in the 70's, when we still had some of the outer ring schools like Dupont, Madison, Bellevue, etc, but the judicial intelligensia just had to close these and finish the "experiment".

Bet you cannot guess were these makers and enforcers of the LAWS send their kids to school..............public schools??

Now, for you folks setting out there in the counties surrounding Nashville..........it will soon be your turn; get that smug look off your face! Public Education is broke; because we have allowed the never-do-wells, the whiners and complainers, the thuggish actors, to be the controlling factors in every aspect how a school will be run.

Every action of school boards and building administrators (these are now selected with spine-less attributes) is guided by a "paralyzed fear" of someones perceived loss of liberty..................we have just about lawyered ourselves out of business!

How do we fix it...................run them like the "privates"! How do they solve their problems-----EASY! they send then back to their zoned public school.

Some child just might have to be left behind!

The point about neighborhood schools is brilliant, and certainly blacks and whites alike paid a high and unpleasant price for this failed experiment. I cannot imagine that anybody at Pearl, Cameron, Haynes, or Meigs was anymore pleased about the closing of their school than people were at Goodlettsville, Madison, Donelson, or Cumberland (or any of the other Metro Nashville public schools sacrificed in consolidation).

But one point that is often overlooked is the impact of size of the school. Individual attention is very important during adolescence; phrased another way, it is detrimental to force children into a large, impersonal atmosphere where only a handful of standouts (who stand out for either positive or negative actions) have real identities. They exist in anonymity. It is no accident that the school shootings have occurred in very large schools such as Columbine.

I'm an MBA grad, and probably its biggest asset was a low student/faculty ratio. Everyone had an identity, and if a student started to drift off course, somebody noticed it and acted on it immediately. Oddly, there were very few expulsions: most who left MBA did so without being asked to leave. Common reasons were unhappiness with the workload or the all male nature of the school. I only remember a few who were actually given their marching orders.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what if we took all the BLACK KIDS form Hillwood there football team would be nothing because form what i have seen the BLACK KIDS make up the hole team.

Not only is this the stupidest post i have ever read but completly untrue. There would be a football team, there have been good football player of both races on hillwoods team in the past 3 years. To say something like that shows ur stupidity.