The Limbaugh Plan

westtennsports

A perfect example this year? My pick to win AAA state tournament, South Doyle, didn't get out of the district tournament...

And look out west, Collierville, Houston and Germantown are all in the same district - so one of them is odd-team-out....

Yeah, 4AAA was really interesting. I think S-D and William Blount tied for first in the regular season but neither one of them made it out of the tourney.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riverdaleman, I meant that the district winner would host the region tournament. I thought I said that at the beginning of this thread. Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough there. D1 regular season champ hosts region in odd year, D2 regular season champ in even year.

Hope that clears it up. I like sharing our ideas. It's been a fun topic to talk about. Yeah, the Germantown, Houston, and Collierville district is a tough one too. Under my plan, those would be three worthy teams to be in a region tournament.

Good Luck to all the teams left in the tournaments!

Edited by StudCantrell

It is definitely the time of year to discuss the Limbaugh plan. Though I have never personally met David (and consider that a loss), I fully back his plan for playoff baseball in the state of Tennessee.

It goes as follows (corrections allowed - I'm going on what I think I remember):

Regional Tournament would be a four-team, double elimination tournament lasting from Monday through Wednesday. Winner advances to sub-state.

For example:

Game 1 - (D14 #1) vs. (D13 #2)

Game 2 - (D13 #1) vs. (D14 #2)

Game 3 - Loser 1 vs. Loser 2 (loser eliminated)

Game 4 - Winner 1 vs. Winner 2

Game 5 - Loser 4 vs. Winner 3 (loser eliminated)

Game 6 - Championship

Game 7 - If Necessary

Sub-state (or sectional) would be between the two regional winners, but would be a best-of-three series, instead of a one game chance. This would probably be best played on Saturday and Sunday the same week as the regional.

This keeps a team with a stud pitcher from walking through region and sub-state. Let the best "team" win!

I like this plan in general... with some changes. I appologize if I repeat someone's idea as I didn't read all the comments. Some divisions play a 3 game season against each conference opponent, but all 3 games are played in the same week. This would help take care of the 1 ace pitcher. I would then like to see the winner of the district's regular season automatically advance to the next level with some type of tournament to determine the #2 seed. You could concievably still have the same district playoff senario. The conference champion, automatically advances, but if someone places higher than them in the district tourney, the reg. season winner would drop to the #2 seed.

good idea.................question: why is there such inequity in the number of teams in the districts throughout the state?...............i know that teams change classes from time to time and that new schools open from time to time...........please don't tell me about travel since we have teams in our district that are at least 90 miles apart..........i don't ask this because i have a beef just curious how come it's this way

The districts are based on geography. Unfortunately, in some classes, there are big gaps between schools so there is a travel issue. In AAA, you have a West Tennessee District that is everything outside of Shelby County which is only 4 teams. Moving Henry County to the West Tennessee AAA district doesn't solve any problems, especially since North Side, Dyersburg and Haywood are AA now. Sure you could move either some Shelby County teams into it to level it out, or you would have to move a Lawrence County and/or Columbia into West Tennessee.

Another big thing is the geography mindset, meaning, you won't see a West Tennessee team go to Middle Tennessee district or Middle Tennessee team go to West Tennessee district. You're more likely to see some mixing in the Plateau region. Though, we have seen more mixture in football to even the number of teams in the regions (the 2A region that includes Adamsville and Richland comes to mind).

The districts are based on geography. Unfortunately, in some classes, there are big gaps between schools so there is a travel issue. In AAA, you have a West Tennessee District that is everything outside of Shelby County which is only 4 teams. Moving Henry County to the West Tennessee AAA district doesn't solve any problems, especially since North Side, Dyersburg and Haywood are AA now. Sure you could move either some Shelby County teams into it to level it out, or you would have to move a Lawrence County and/or Columbia into West Tennessee.

Another big thing is the geography mindset, meaning, you won't see a West Tennessee team go to Middle Tennessee district or Middle Tennessee team go to West Tennessee district. You're more likely to see some mixing in the Plateau region. Though, we have seen more mixture in football to even the number of teams in the regions (the 2A region that includes Adamsville and Richland comes to mind).

nothing about the district system is simple...........for example rutherford county has 6 aaa schools and they are in two districts...............wilson county has two schools and they are in separate districts..................like i said before we have two 90 mile trips in our district from coffee county(lawrence county and columbia).......just seems to me to be a big difference in an 8 team district and a 4 team district............not saying i have all the answers to this it just seems odd

Edited by riddlers

I totally disagree about letting the regular season champion get an automatic bid to the region. Most high school baseball games are all about pitching matchups and the team that gets a favorable schedule can take his #1 pitcher through the toughest part of the schedule and throw anybody agains the weaker sisters. Making it to state is all about surviving and advancing through the tournaments............except at the sub state level which is a farce. Either play double elimination tournaments all the way through to decide who the state champion is or have pool play. The Limbaugh Plan comes closest to determining the best team than any other. I also think the TSSAA should determine how the districts are represented at region. It should be the same across the board.

I totally disagree about letting the regular season champion get an automatic bid to the region. Most high school baseball games are all about pitching matchups and the team that gets a favorable schedule can take his #1 pitcher through the toughest part of the schedule and throw anybody agains the weaker sisters. Making it to state is all about surviving and advancing through the tournaments............except at the sub state level which is a farce. Either play double elimination tournaments all the way through to decide who the state champion is or have pool play. The Limbaugh Plan comes closest to determining the best team than any other. I also think the TSSAA should determine how the districts are represented at region. It should be the same across the board.

Which brings up another thing that our district does that i like they call it the "david price"rule we play each team back to back days if we play oakland on monday we turn around and play them again on tuesday so again it takes more than 1 pitcher to win our district.

It is tough to get on the bus and go from Lawrenceburg to Manchester and then back and then to school the next morning.

You should try Savannah to Dyersburg or Ripley or Covington. :angry: When I was in high school, our shortest district trip was 45 miles (Savannah to Bolivar or Lexington). We had to go to Somerville on a Tuesday night for a basketball game once. I think it was midnight by the time we got home, and we were expected in class the next day.

Nothing is perfect with the district system. You just got to piece it together the best you can.

Which brings up another thing that our district does that i like they call it the "david price"rule we play each team back to back days if we play oakland on monday we turn around and play them again on tuesday so again it takes more than 1 pitcher to win our district.

i like that too riverdaleman.............we play ours on tues/wed in 8aaa everyweek.......each team has one week off thru the season since we have an odd number of teams

Edited by riddlers

Yeah. Our district tries to do that too. Still, I think the regular season is for seeding and the hot teams at tournament time should advance from the district. Then either double up on teams at region or have twice as many go to state and do away with the one game sub-state or sectional game that's a one and done deal or if you have to have it, make it a 2 of 3 series.

This is straight from the Georgia (GHSA) website:

The maximum number of baseball games allowed (not including state playoffs) is twenty-six (26).

The season shall begin with practices commencing no earlier than February 13, 2006 and the first competition being scheduled no earlier than February 27, 2006. A one-week conditioning period is allowed beginning on February 6, 2006. The use of equipment is allowed during conditioning. Attendance is not mandatory and no player may be cut. A school shall not allow its baseball team to engage in an interscholastic practice and/or scrimmage game. The baseball season ends for a team or individual when that team is eliminated form the region or state playoffs, or wins the State Championship.

STATE PLAYOFFS:

Four teams from each region will advance to the state playoffs and must be determined by May 6, 2006. Regions must determine their four winners within the 26-game playing limit.

The time-frame for the state playoff is as follows:

1. Round 1: DH on May 12, If game on May 13, rain day on May 15

2. Round 2: DH on May 17, If game on May 18, rain day on May 19

3. Round 3: DH on May 23, If game on May 24, rain day on May 25

4. Round 4: DH on May 29, If game on May 30, rain day on May 31

5. Finals: DH on June 2, If game on June 3, rain day on June 5

Now, while I like the playoff series, what about the rest of it??? we ain't got it so bad in TN do we???