USA vs. Morocco

BigG

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the US is now ranked in the top 5 or whatever, what i noticed most, outside of the tactical things mentioned before is a lack of passion. I was at the 96 olympics when we surprised argentina before falling and those "kids" had so much energy and just wanted to prove themselves. Some of those guys are now veterans we rely on and we have brought in some great players to make a squad that can contend, my worry is that the last showing in 02 and our recent move into the upper level of national teams will make this team forget how they got to where they are now. We have the players to play, but we can't try to be too pretty. We're good because we work harder and smarter than our opponent. Just my thought.

I think they always struggle with teams that play a defending style of soccer and look for the opportunity to counter. It was a wise move to warm up with Morocco since they will play the Czechs and the Czechs will be better at that style and quicker to counter with faster forwards. Hopefully, they learned from the game last night and will be prepared to deal with the Czechs.

I think that Reyna may have peaked physically several years ago and his tremendous reputation may be holding back the development of Mastroeni (who, I thought, may have been the best US player last night) and Bobby Convey as an inside player. I just don't think he is the US's best player anymore and I swear Donovan steps up and plays better when he's not in the lineup. I thought Convey brought great energy to the match and I would love to see him move inside like he plays on the younger national team (U-23?), with Beasley and Dempsey outside. I also think Gibbs was adequate at left back but I think Eddie Lewis has more of a presence at that spot. O'Brien has fabulous skills. I hope he can gain match fitness in a month.

Overall I was pretty disappointed. The US defense was sufficient (could've been better), but the offense was marginal to say the least. As was mentioned on here before, I believe the US looked a little "gun shy" as well.

the defense was only sufficient because of how much bigger they were than the forwards. it was funny to watch the little forward try to outjump onyewu, but he, and the rest of the defense, seemed a lot slower on full out sprints than i thought they would be. i don't know if anyone else noticed, but it always looked like the moroccan forwards on the back side were open. it was like gibbs and onyewu didn't think it necessary to pay much attention to them. a fast forward with a good touch,much like the ones that will be playing in the world cup :) , could easily get a through ball from the midfield and put it away.

the defense was only sufficient because of how much bigger they were than the forwards. it was funny to watch the little forward try to outjump onyewu, but he, and the rest of the defense, seemed a lot slower on full out sprints than i thought they would be. i don't know if anyone else noticed, but it always looked like the moroccan forwards on the back side were open. it was like gibbs and onyewu didn't think it necessary to pay much attention to them. a fast forward with a good touch,much like the ones that will be playing in the world cup :) , could easily get a through ball from the midfield and put it away.

You are right. Onyewu's strength is his size, not his speed, and he did seem a step behind the Moroccan forwards. I think it's safe to say the whole team could use a little improving. But I think we could double our skill and still not get out of our brutal pool. But that's just my opinion.