Best MHS Team In A While?

GovMan

Spent a while this morning talking about he upcoming year for Maryville football with one of their strong supporters. I think the conclusion we both reached was that this year's team will be "scary good."

Does the 2006 squad have the potential to be one of the best Rebel teams ever? Or is that overkill? Seems like there are studs (1 - 2 deep) in every position.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent a while this morning talking about he upcoming year for Maryville football with one of their strong supporters. I think the conclusion we both reached was that this year's team will be "scary good."

Does the 2006 squad have the potential to be one of the best Rebel teams ever? Or is that overkill? Seems like there are studs (1 - 2 deep) in every position.

Might be a little overkill but they are deep at most all positions. They will still need to play as a TEAM and take each game as they come. They do have great senior leadership and the junior class is very strong. The soph class will help out also in some key areas.

This might be a bit of over kill. While the offense is loaded and very deep the defensive front seven have only three starters retuning and a loss of possibly the best depth they have ever enjoyed. Might see Husky and or Douglas doing a little two way duty like Smith and Tucker from last year. DB's and LB's are very tallented but again depth will be an issue if an injury occurs at LB. DB's should be very good with maturity, size and experience being plentiful.

Offensively.......not much to say other than they are loaded.

Skill position wise they are loaded. There isn't near as much line depth as 2004 and 2002. Both those teams offensive linemen just played offensive line. Defensive line just played defensive line.

The 2006 senior class is very good. I sit here and think about how much better it could have been. TJ Franklin transfered to Catholic. 3 or 4 good kids quit. I remember watching them as freshmen in 2003. They destroyed everyone. A Maryville coach compared this class to the 1998 Chuck Prugh class and the 2002 Carl Stewart led class.

The 2007 class was thought to have been weaker but with the addition of Burnett,Douglas,Clendenen and now the kid from Florida this class will be awesome.

I don't know a lot about the upcoming sophomore and freshmen class except that the sophomore class is full of skill players. The freshmen class is full of big linemen.

I give credit to Quarles and his Rebels for dominating 4A the past years, but I don't think this team will be the best Maryville team in a while. They will be good though, but not as good as some of those Rebel teams in the past. They still have to go through 3 or 4 teams this year that could cause some problems, but if they prepare right like they have always done, they can handle them. The games I'll be looking out for are when Maryville plays @ Powell and Maryville @ West. I think these games could give Maryville some trouble if Powell and West prepare for them right and make Maryville make mistakes and turnovers and have hardly any themselves, cause we all know Maryville is good at making teams turnover the ball.

I think Powell will give them a good game because they will be a better team with there being no one man offense anymore plus I think Lowe will make them a tougher opponent to play. With the addition of Cruze, Powell will have a more balanced offense and from what I saw at the Oak Ridge scrimmage, their defense will keep them in the game. This match-up will depend on how Powell's offense plays and if Maryville can make them make mistakes or not.

For West, I think they will give them a good game. West will be too good of a team this year to lose close games like they did last year. Also West did give Maryville a good first half, only being down 14-12. With not many West players graduating, they should be able to hold Maryville to a low score and maybe walk off the field with a win.

With all that said, Maryville should make it into the play-offs with home field advantage. The only way this could be a bad season is if they don't make it to the 3rd round of the play-offs.

I have many thoughts on this years Maryville Team. I will be bold and say they run the table again this year mainly because of Maryville’s ability to replace good players.

I think the Offence will be better balanced with more key play makers and have greater experience in the back field and at receiver. The concern is in the O line but none better than Ellis to get that done. Coach E has a proven track record at getting the big fellas to play sharp as a cohesive team.

I can't even think the Front seven will be better than last year’s corp. of Voto/Wood, Tucker, AJ, Killebrew, Cable and Smith. LB's Lawhan, Hall, Kimsey, Caylor. When Coach Gaylor read off the Defensive stats from that group during the awards dinner, I was very impressed. I think he said that group scored and recovered more turnovers than any in Reb history. Not an overly impressive group in Tee shirts but always in the right place, in the right scheme and ready to step up and bring heat on every play. Great defensive in my view. The good news is the LB corp. should be among the best at Maryville and I can see Wood and Douglas having a great year up front. The secondary is more solid than recent memory.

Maryville is ready to defend their Crown and I can't see anyone in 3-4A that can play them this year. But in football one never knows till the buzzer goes off. But I'll also go out on a limb and say all roads to the state game lead through Lawrence Street!

while i am not sure if this is the best team we have had in a while i do think it is one of the strongest in comparison to the opponates it will face this year. so best team? no but most domonate maybe.

just some questions to ponder

who do you think will be starting next to tank in the backfield will it be singleton shuler or mcoy.

will burnette become the sole starting quarterback or will he still be rotating with hunt?

will anyone be playing both ways.

Just an opinion; best Defense in many a year was last years. best Offense was the 2002 squad. best overall team from offense to defense and the kicking game was 1998. didn't get to see many of those games- but just an opinion.