Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

I am glad we are talking about the game and that is where I have been with my past few posts.

But after getting my knotz skews senile and seeing yet another story about the suspended players I was angry! This Edwards Clown went out of his way to slander these kids by headlining that Alcohol was the reason these players got pulled over. He has shown his biases toward the Maryville football community and this story does not belong in the sports page. He could have used the space to write about the great rivalry. Click the link for Prep Extra and here is the top four stories one day prior to the game.

1. Alcohol, loud noise led to Maryville suspensions

2. Maryville players violated noise ordinance

3. Maryville suspends four players for Alcoa game

4. Four Maryville players suspended

Nothing about football really or the great game that we in Blount County have come to enjoy as an annual event. I have emailed this idiot and intend to phone some talk shows and write his boss. I hope others who think he has gone too far to do the same. He has crossed the line and is taking away from the rivalry.

I expect Maryville to again soundly defeat Alcoa simply because I don't think Alcoa can match points with Maryville. Maryville's "O" too has many playmakers with big game experience and enough D to slow that powerful running game Alcoa has. Alcoa will get some points but it won't be enough. Everyone have a good day and let's get ready to have us a football game with class.

Edited by FBEmeritus

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately, the WB/Clarksville game is on Saturday afternoon, so I'm wide open on Friday night to be at the "Skeeterdome". Got some of my "higher ups" working on some reserved seating ... but if that doesn't work out, me and my boy child will go by McDonalds at 4:30, grab a sack full of cheeseburgers, and be standing at the gate by 5:00 so we can go in and "mark" our territory.

My thoughts as an "outside" third party:

*Concerning the suspensions ... (and I'll tread lightly here cause I know Vol General is watching over my shoulder). I DID NOT start the thread earlier in the week to be a "neon sign". I hated the fact that the Times ran pictures of the young men. In this day and age though ... it IS news ... and it wouldn't have made any difference if it happened at Maryville, Alcoa, WB, or Heri

I respect George's position of just telling the media it's an "internal " issue, but at the same time, I almost wish the "factual story" could be told, because it is---and will- be blown out of proportion and distorted. I'll say this and finish on this one ... not only should George and staff to be highly commended on how they dealt with this incident ... but the parents of the players involved should be highly commended as well. If more parents acted as responsibly as these folks have, it would make a difference. If you know what happened, you'll know what I'm talking about.

*The 'elitist' attitude that occasionally surfaces on here that somehow "Maryville" kids are a cut above other kids and therefore, are not expected to make mistakes, does a terrible disservice to the kids. Now, before anyone jumps down my throat, if you have not perpetuated this attitude, I'm not talking about you. I'm just saying that "kids are kids" wherever they are in school. There are exemplary ones; there are those that are constantly causing trouble; and then there are those who are average kids and sometimes make poor choices and need correction and discipline. None of us ... no matter which school we support, should "throw stones." As teachers, coaches, ministers, parents, etc. ... we're all in this together.

*Now to the game ... "off my soap box":

No way I can not pick Maryville. If I ever thought Alcoa was going to win, it was last season. I of course, wasn't even close. This year, at least at this point, I perceive Maryville to be "stronger" than they were last year and it would seem that Alcoa---with the loss of several big time performers---would most likely not be "as strong" as they were last year.

BUT THAT'S WHY THEY PLAY THE GAME! Alcoa may well completely shock me. They may be a ton better than they were last year. I've heard it stated that the Tornadoes are more "one dimensional" with Cobb at qb. DON'T AGREE. I believe he "adds" a dimension. He can run !!! As far as his arm, no one can question his arm strength after the "long throw contest" at the jamboree. I know accuracy is an issue, but with Lanxter, Somers, & company, I think he just has to get it "in the general direction" and they'll take care of the rest.

I also think alot of people are overlooking RB Ryan Singleton for Maryville. Maybe he's not real flashy, but I know a whole lot of high school teams that would love to have him for their "feature back." Adequate speed, very strong, finds the hole real well, very smart. And there might be a couple more backs for Maryville that will surprise some people.

I think George will figure out how to get it in Maples' hands; I believe "big" Douglas will be a tough match-up for the Tornado D; and overall, with Hunt/Burnette and the "stable" of other receivers, I just think Maryville will have too much "o" for the Tornadoes to stop.

I look forward to hearing Jud say "Welcome to Mareee-ville High School" and to watching two great teams go toe-to-toe. I'll wear my dark blue / orange WB cap, so if anyone doesn't know the "GovMan" maybe you can pick me out.

Good luck to both teams. Go Governors.

Outstanding post sir-your soapbox statement(elitist attitudes) is all I've been trying to get across. Some of these kids have been playing one another most of their lives, some are friends and some are relatives so let's just let them have a great game. It's football time in Tennessee let's go Alcoa/Maryville. Good luck to the Govs on Sat.

I am glad we are talking about the game and that is where I have been with my past few posts.

But after getting my knotz skews senile and seeing yet another story about the suspended players I was angry! This Edwards Clown went out of his way to slander these kids by headlining that Alcohol was the reason these players got pulled over. He has shown his biases toward the Maryville football community and this story does not belong in the sports page. He could have used the space to write about the great rivalry. Click the link for Prep Extra and here is the top four stories one day prior to the game.

1. Alcohol, loud noise led to Maryville suspensions

2. Maryville players violated noise ordinance

3. Maryville suspends four players for Alcoa game

4. Four Maryville players suspended

Nothing about football really or the great game that we in Blount County have come to enjoy as an annual event. I have emailed this idiot and intend to phone some talk shows and write his boss. I hope others who think he has gone too far to do the same. He has crossed the line and is taking away from the rivalry.

I expect Maryville to again soundly defeat Alcoa simply because I don't think Alcoa can match points with Maryville. Maryville's "O" too has many playmakers with big game experience and enough D to slow that powerful running game Alcoa has. Alcoa will get some points but it won't be enough. Everyone have a good day and let's get ready to have us a football game with class.

This is a great rivalry-one of the best in the country- the fact that Unapproved Website is in town is a testament to that. However after visiting both teams-I think that it'sgoing to be one for the books. There will be some surprises as well...

This is a great rivalry-one of the best in the country- the fact that Unapproved Website is in town is a testament to that. However after visiting both teams-I think that it'sgoing to be one for the books. There will be some surprises as well...

knotz skews senile lol

For the record I think that they have gone way too far with this......

hey tank buddy you booze you lose haha......alcoa police officers rock don't they???? see you on the sidelines hahahaha

I know a few Alcoa police officers and they are all above something like singleing out one kid over a football game and I am also sure you won't be on the sidelines but in the stands. You don't know the Baker family. Tank is a fine young man, and who like many of us have made a mistake that he is paying for it.

I know a few Alcoa police officers and they are all above something like singleing out one kid over a football game and I am also sure you won't be on the sidelines but in the stands. You don't know the Baker family. Tank is a fine young man, and who like many of us have made a mistake that he is paying for it.

Wow, I wonder how many former football players on Coacht has had a beer or two during football season?

Was it dumb, yes!

Is a part of growing up, Yes!

If you take the chance, you have to pay the price if you get caught.

Sounds like the Rebs coaching is teaching that lesson.

Good for him!

My Coach in HS would have done the same.

I would say that this gives Alcoa a better chance to win but Maryville is a Football Machine with plenty of spare parts to fix there missing cogs.

Looks like that great line didn't get suspended! They can still block for who ever runs thru that hole. Heck I could get a couple of yards myself behind that line with 100lbs overweight and two bad knees, back etc.

Should be a great and close game!

Hey Fbe. You graduated high school in like 1980 so just stay out of the high school business. Thankz holla back

First of all you don't know me and secondly I am convinced you can't put me out.

HS football is a hobby. I played it, watched it, support it and do all I can to promote it simply because it is where the game is in it's purest form. PeeWee is great but not very well organized.

This fine forum allows many to talk about the game. The Alcoa vs. Maryville matchup stands at 53-21-3 all time. The game has been played since 1927 except two years.