Strange things that have happened in a high school game

REBELRON

Here are 2 things that have stuck out at Maryville games over the years.

1. During a playoff game in 1997 a referee had to pee. Instead of going to the bathroom he called timeout,walked to the trees in the endzone on the scoreboard side and peed. I was there and saw that.

2. I didn't see this game live. I watched the film on it several times. Maryville played Cleveland in the 1970 state title game. Maryville had a great team that year. They were way ahead of Cleveland when Bob Hood was on his way to another touchdown. A funny thing happened before Bob Hood made it to the End Zone. A fan comes out of the end zone and tackled him. What Maryvile and Cleveland fans were there that day?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gallatin playoff game during the early 90's. When the teams were warming up a opposum got on the field on the opposing teams side. I can't remember the team, possible Henry County. The players couldn't warm up properly because of concern for the animal. While all of us in the stands were getting a huge laugh from the spectacle. A Gallatin offical finally persuaded the opposum off the field through the band entrance.

During the 91' playoff game at Bartlett, the wind was blowing so bad that Gallatin kicked an extra point that went through the uprights only to get blown back through. For the record it was ruled no good.

Gallatin vs Smyrna during the early 80's. Gallatin fumbled the ball deep in Gallatin territory. A Smyrna player picked up the loose ball and got turned around and ran the wrong way to the opposing goalline. The Smyrna fans and players were all yelling at him to turn around while the Gallatin players were blocking for him. Once he reached the endzone and was walking to the referree to give him the ball a Gallatin player hit him causing a fumble which Gallatin recovered for a touchdown.

Opening kickoff, South Carolina high school championship game in the 1970s:

The kicking team hung their kicker, a BIG kid, from the goal post. Whistle blew, he dropped and took off running for the kickoff. The more he ran, the slower he got. About 10 yards from the ball he fell down. The crowd and opposing team started laughing and a player on the kickoff team walked up, kicked the ball ten yards, and they recovered the onside kick.

A streaker ( CROACH) raced across the field during half-time against Lincoln County and tried to get over the fence and got HUNGGGGGG if you know what I mean. It was a Comcast Game of the week. Then when we played Riverdale, another Streaker ( Croach) ran into the endzone and scaled that fence only to be nabbed by the cops. He was cuffed and walked in front of everyone. We wonder what Croach will do this yr.

In William Blount's first year of football (1979) they played at Knox Doyle (now known as South-Doyle) when Jimmy Colquitt was the punter. A fog rolled in during the game and settled about 7 feet above the field. The players could all see each other, but the players could not see the stands, scoreboard, or press box because of the fog. When Colquitt would punt, the ball just disappeared in the cloud above the field.

Edited by Red Rebels

Now defunct Castle Heights Military Academy in Lebanon was hosting Goodpasture in the late 70s. early 80s. Goodpasture kicked off and the CH return man ran straight ahead into a scrum of sorts. The ball came flying out forward and the Goodpasture kicker (who was loping along minding his own business) caught the fumble on the fly, cruised around the pile and scored a TD.

7th grade year in middle school ball we ran the wrong ball play successfully twice in one season.

You break the huddle and run up to the line like you are running a regular play. Just before everyone lines down, the QB looks at the center and says "That's the wrong ball." The coach is on the sideline with another ball yelling "Here's the right one!" The center picks up the ball, hands it to the QB, and the QB starts to jog to the sideline. The team will start to huddle up. If the defense falls for it, about the time the QB reaches the sideline the coach points down the field and the QB takes off.

• 2 weeks later...

A streaker ( CROACH) raced across the field during half-time against Lincoln County and tried to get over the fence and got HUNGGGGGG if you know what I mean. It was a Comcast Game of the week. Then when we played Riverdale, another Streaker ( Croach) ran into the endzone and scaled that fence only to be nabbed by the cops. He was cuffed and walked in front of everyone. We wonder what Croach will do this yr.

I didn't see it, but I remember when that happened.

Also in the 2001 playoffs, third round, the Riverdale/Oakland game got delayed because Oakland used a smoke machine when they ran onto the field, and the smoke covered the field and wouldn't go away, lol!!

i was there for both of those. wow that was funny.... and planned in my algebra 2 class the day we had a sub.