Clinton Football

coonhunter291

I don't follow Clinton like I do other teams in the offseason, but if they did actually beat OR next week, that might be the most lopsided turnaround I've ever seen, from one year to the next. Plus, you are talking about a game in week one. They may be better, but it always takes a high school team a few weeks to iron out the kinks, especially a team such as Clinton. I just think when you play OR and Maryville in the first 2 games, it's very difficult to get on track, especially when you get outscored 111-0 in those games like last year. Playing those teams is almost like playing 2 small college teams. Granted, Campbell County and South Doyle should be cupcakes, but even that was a struggle last year for the Dragons. Personally, I would like to see Clinton find a way to get back to their winning ways of the mid 90s, but I just don't see it happening any time soon. Great coaching helps, but you have to have personnel at every position in order to beat the best at this level.

Edited by osunut2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is gonna be the best season for Clinton football since 1997, that year they even beat oak Ridge, some teams better LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!!

1. Maryville

2. Central

3. Powell

4. Clinton 6-4

5. Halls

6. West

7. South Doyle

8. Lenoir City

I have always been a big fan of both clinton and oak ridge football...I am a campbell county native (lifetime) but a big football fan so I have followed many local high school programs since teh late 50's and early 60's... yes that qualifies me as an old man...

I remember when clinton was as feared as oak ridge... unfortunately for clinton, teh dragons have fallen upon hard times as of late...I do not know what clinton folks thik about jimmy gaylor but I think they lost a pretty darn good coach when he left...dont know the circumstances but I always like and respected him...of course I have know several oak ridge coaches over the past 15-20 years...they too all seemed like good coaches...

oak ridge is still an elite program...clinton has struggled but will more than likely return to the big time ...their region is a tough though which may slow down their progress record wise..

good luck to both programs ... I think the cats will prevail again this year!!!

ps i was there the last time clinton defeated OR...it was quite a night for the dragon fans

Clinton has many great coaching staff, and several good Freshmen that are starting, I agree playing Oak Ridge and Maryville back to back is very hard, it takes away alot of confidence, that is why it is so important to give Oak Ridge a good game, even if they lose by 15 or 20 that will really boost the team, ALOT!!!!

But I think the Clinton Football team really has it in them this year, I know they have what it takes to beat Oak Ridge, if they will just do it!!!! I know, I have seen them play in scrimmages, the way you would play to beat OR.

and YES, Gaylor was a Wonderful Coach!!!!

Edited by coonhunter291

Clinton has improved, MUCH, their offense is So Much better, their Defense is OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything is different this year, the only coach we have this year that Clinton has this that they had last year is pretty much just Coach shattuck, our defensive coach came from Maryville!!!!!!!!!

I do think that Clinton will make it to the playoffs, atleast the first round. They are looking Really good in the scrimmages, Tall Receivers, Good quarterback, Big Line, Good Runningbacks, this season will be MUCH better than last year.

Surely you are not refering to the same OUTSTANDING defense that gave up 9 touchdowns to Catholic (6 to one back) and the MUCH BETTER OFFENSE that couldn't smell the end zone.

Edited by futbolfan

The Catholic scrimmage was TERRIBLE, but shattuck got after them, and Improved MUCH, MUCH more after the Catholic scrimmage, and tied with Fulton, shut out Rutledge, and beat Greeneville, plus another thing is that Catholic is just an Awesome football team, Harrison Smith is best in the state!!!!

I know that does sound stupid after the Catholic scrimmage, but it is true!!!!

Edited by coonhunter291

That's not my name but the facts are correct. 5 times since 1949...57 years or about once every generation through the Clinton school sytem. Most times when a baby is born in Clinton the parents drive them over to Blankenship field and say baby...."one time during your schooling at smoking truck school system you may get to see our high school beat Oak Ridge High School."

OUCH!!!!!!

Ole Dad

OLE DAD (KEITH) I know who this is Randall, u never get your facts right. HA HA