Sports Illustrated HS Football Preview

FBEmeritus

home and home contracts have a way of cutting deeply into your numbers. travel expenses are a killer.

How many home games would Maryville play where they could net $85,000.00.

Remember that you can run but you can't hide from competition. Riverdale did this for years under Rankin and look what happened when they played a good team (McCallie) early in the season. Let's give credit to Riverdale and Coach A. for not running from a good in-state program.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many home games would Maryville play where they could net $85,000.00.

Remember that you can run but you can't hide from competition. Riverdale did this for years under Rankin and look what happened when they played a good team (McCallie) early in the season. Let's give credit to Riverdale and Coach A. for not running from a good in-state program.

What a stupid post...everybody knows Riverdale is down and will continue to be down. That is one of the reasons Rankin got out of Dodge. Game was already scheduled so what choice did coach A have?

Bottom line is this game would NOT net $85,000 and you are a dumbarse for stating that. Nobody is running from anybody and in the end MHS plays the best in 4A virtually every year. It was clearly explained yet you are too stupid to understand. Enjoy you envious but sad existance cause we love watching people like you grimance as another gold ball is lifted into the air..... B)

What you are saying is that Heritage and William Blount are easy wins and you can play all of your subs to get them some experience while resting your starters. Do you not feel that a game with BA, Riverdale or MBA would not draw 10,000 fans? 10,000 fans X $6.00 per ticket would be $60,000.00 in gate receipts. Concessions would probably add a gross of $40,000.00 with a net profit of $25,000.00 on concessions. That type of game would net Maryville close to $85,000.00 for one game, do you make that much money off of the Heritage or William Blount games when you are the host?

Dude, you need to get a clue and get a grip. Bottom line is that it is a rivalry and a traditition. When I said it is a good gate I was talking about how much local interest there is in the game. Not about money. Tradition & rivalry is why they will always play.

What a stupid post...everybody knows Riverdale is down and will continue to be down. That is one of the reasons Rankin got out of Dodge. Game was already scheduled so what choice did coach A have?

Bottom line is this game would NOT net $85,000 and you are a dumbarse for stating that. Nobody is running from anybody and in the end MHS plays the best in 4A virtually every year. It was clearly explained yet you are too stupid to understand. Enjoy you envious but sad existance cause we love watching people like you grimance as another gold ball is lifted into the air..... :thumb:

Are you sure that the Riverdale vs McCallie game did not come about due to an Ohio team backing out of a game @ the last minute?

If the game could attract 10,000 fans it should net around $85,000.00. I showed you the numbers in an earlier post and I have been in charge of big games before so I know a little about the subject but in no way would I be considered an expert like yourself.

FYI, I do not have a problem with Maryville hoisting state championship trophies and I wish them well. Maryville is a good high school program in the Tennessee 4A classification but with the success they have had the last 10 years do you not feel that they could use a little challange during the regular season? Why would Maryville not try to copy programs like Byrnes & Hoover and play the best teams possible?

Why would you say that Riverdale is down and will continue to be down? Were they not the top ranked team in 5A during the pre-season polls?

We have been told on this message board several times that Rankin decided to leave Riverdale because he wanted his kids to grow up in a small town the same as he did. I know for a fact that he interviewed for a job around five years ago so with that being said I don't feel that he made a "knee jerk" decision to find a position at another school.

Edited by cbg

My bad. I thought you were talkin about opportunities for schools to meet that otherwise haven't and the large gate the games would generate. I meant to say that what you made as a home team this year you would actually need to spend on travel the next . Not much of a gain afterall.

But really all you wanted to do was bash one of the best programs in your own state.

Sorry but I do not live in Tennessee (South Florida) anymore but I do try to follow the teams. I am in no way bashing anyone, but what I am doing is throwing out a challange for one of the best teams in Tennessee to walk outside of their comfort zone and be challanged. This would be good for not only the players but also the coaches and fans.

What would it cost for Maryville to play a team from Middle Tennessee? I couldn't be more than $10,000.00 for a bus trip and meals and it would only be one trip every other season. If it did cost 10 grand you would still be +75 for the home and home series.

You don't seem to understand numbers but I am not sure you really want to understand.

Edited by cbg

Maryville is one of the best teams in the state. But to think they could do like Hoover or even play Hoover might be a stretch. As far as the Riverdale game goes they requested 3000 tickets last week for the Mccallie game in Chattanooga. Probably less would show for a game at Maryville due to distance. That would mean Maryville would have to pack 7000 fans in the stadium for 85,000 dollar profit theory. Maryville needs to keep on keeping on. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

LOL....are you stupid or just trying to stir the pot. Obviously comprehension is an issue with you.

Please tell us what you think is going on?... Have you ever been to a Maryville game? Ever witnessed those boys execute the GQ offense? Have you ever observed the discipline of a Maryville football team? Take some time and watch these Maryville teams win state championships with less tallent than their opponents. If you knew a little about football then you would understand..

Most of these kids start playing together at age 7. Of the 23 seniors on this years team 13 of them fall under that catagory. Over 100 of the 138 team members played together in the Maryville youth leagues.

Mayville has the best coaching staff in the state and this staff has been together for several years with little change.

That's only the tip of the iceberg as to why Maryville is consistently good. Drive by the school on a normal Sunday in ....let's say March and note the 15 to 25 kids running pass paterns and QB's throwing....all on their own. This is almost a dailey occurance during the off season. Stop by after a three hour practice an see how many kids stay an hour afterwards to hone their skills.

You see...it's not too difficult if you desire to be champions. Maybe someday you will obtain that desire in whatever you do. :thumb:

He is stupid and he is trying to stir the pot. His idiotic inuendo shows a lack of class and guts. If he has accusations to make he should just do it rather than ask veiled questions and sophmoric hints at improprieties. Maryville doesn't have to waste one second answering whiners such as this. The proof of their program is in their trophy case. The keys to their success are obvious to everyone but ol Blue and White. Lots of hard work , outstanding coaching staff, youth footall feeding the program and a winning culture bringing out the best in the student athletes.

Just wondering how many of the football team pays tuition to go to Maryville and are zoned for either Heritage or William Blount? This would be a good project for someone.......I'm not from that area, but I've heard that the kids that play for Mayville are allowed to come from the county as well as the city as long as they pay tuition.......that sorta puts a damper on the schools who have to stay within their own district lines..... just wondering.....

I'll admit it, I'm a pessimist and a nay-sayer...and I didn't realize that having an opinion made me an idiot or mean't I had a lack of class or guts...I merely stated what I thought...I don't throw down things you say, so please extend me the same courtesy...if you don't like it, merely say it...although, I will be honest...I wasn't aware of all the hardwork and extra stuff Maryville does to be a great program...and yes, I have been to a Maryville game before...but surely you understand as an outsider, I don't keep up with what all goes on and this and that...which is probably stupid of me, I'll admit if I'm going to have an opinion on something...but I hope you don't believe I'm not the only one who has, or at least had, that same opinion...

Just wondering how many of the football team pays tuition to go to Maryville and are zoned for either Heritage or William Blount? This would be a good project for someone.......I'm not from that area, but I've heard that the kids that play for Mayville are allowed to come from the county as well as the city as long as they pay tuition.......that sorta puts a damper on the schools who have to stay within their own district lines..... just wondering.....

:P ....how many of these drive-by Einsteins with the same question does the Maryville threads get a year.

Tuition is $2,500 per year if there is room. Generally speaking if you are not in the city schools as a tuition student now then you will not get in. The school system, which is rated as one of the if not the top public system in the state, is very full. Maryville has ONE starter that is a tuition student and at last count 3 or 4 out of 138 that are not in the city. Hope that helps.

BTW....most of the tuition students that attend Maryville do not play sports.

No...you were not just wondering...just another jealous hater.... :thumb:

I'll admit it, I'm a pessimist and a nay-sayer...and I didn't realize that having an opinion made me an idiot or mean't I had a lack of class or guts...I merely stated what I thought...I don't throw down things you say, so please extend me the same courtesy...if you don't like it, merely say it...although, I will be honest...I wasn't aware of all the hardwork and extra stuff Maryville does to be a great program...and yes, I have been to a Maryville game before...but surely you understand as an outsider, I don't keep up with what all goes on and this and that...which is probably stupid of me, I'll admit if I'm going to have an opinion on something...but I hope you don't believe I'm not the only one who has, or at least had, that same opinion...

Statements such as:

" or...there could be more going on then "good coaching"...

are an obvious slam on a top program. Suppose you enlighten us as to what evidence or specific alegations you have to support this " more going on than good coaching " statement. You can feign indignation all you want about having your motives questioned but you are deliberately trying to taint a successful program with rumors and garbage. Why ? Who knows ? Maybe Maryville kicked the crap out of you and your alma mater years ago and you just can't get over it.

Check this video of Tyler Maples.Tyler Maples

I have said this more than once. When Maryville was going 5-5 in 1989,1990,1993 and 1996 I never heard anyone complain about tuition students. As MLREB pointed out there are less tuition students now. Maryville is winning big right now because of coaching.

Edited by REBELRON