District 11AA

Big Country

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Harpeth Indians, and the whole Harpeth basketball program with the clean sweep of the district titles, MVPs, Players of the year and coaches of the year. Now lets try to avoid that post-sycamore let down we tend to get sometimes (i.e. McNairy last year) :thumb: good luck in the region tourny and hopefully we can get to the title game atleast so we have a shot at the state tourny. I'm not asking for any miricles by beating Liberty just because they are that good. Just take care of business one game at a time and you should do fine.

I've probably seen more basketball than you have or ever will. But that doesn't make me an expert. I do have an opinion just like you.

I do know that you can tell a lot about a team when you see them play. NO matter who they play. You can see their talent, their court awareness, and the coaching. We have some really good coaches in 11AA. We have some really good talent in 11AA. But 11AA doesn't have the ability to keep up with 12AA last year or this year. 2 years ago Waverly did. 3 or 4 years ago Sycamore did. But no one this year. I will root for upsets but that is what it would be an upset. Just heard McNairy upset Southside in the consolation last night.

I don't see how you can say this year's Harpeth team isn't just as talented or has less ability than the Waverly team of 2 years ago or the Sycamore team of 3 or 4 years ago. It wasn't like those teams set the world on fire. They were no better or different than any other past district champions. I would definitely put this years Indians team up against either of those teams. Having said that, I realize Harpeth most likely won't beat Liberty, but they can get to the finals and earn a berth to the sectionals. One thing to remember as well, this year's Liberty team is better than the Bolivar teams of 2 and 4 years ago also. I'm realistic and know it will be a tough 2 games to just get to the region final and then it will be almost impossible to beat Liberty.

Now that all of the joking is aside I will be serious for one final time this season prior to the Region & State Tournaments :lol:

Harpeth played an outstanding game tonight. Scott Newton may be the regular season MVP but the real "Sycamore Killer" this year has been Kevin Giltner. That trend continued tonight and led Giltner to being Tourney MVP. For Sycamore I must say that THEY WERE NOT ON THE GAME TONIGHT!!!! The War Eagles fell in a hole early and gained a ton of momentum at the end of the first half when they stormed back to take what looked to be a 2-POINT LEAD heading into the lockerroom. That was before #15 for Harpeth hit one from the Stratton's Parking Lot to give Harpeth a 21-20 edge heading into the intermission. Wilson's team really built off of that great clutch shot and took over to start the third period and Froedden's team did not have an answer. Harpeth hit every big shot from then on while Sycamore did something that they never do which is LOST THEIR COMPOSURE!!!! Nicholson is really the only Sycamore player that I recall doing much of anything that I'd consider to be "positive" late in tonight's game. Credit Harpeth's defense for most of it but also to be a "big time team" Sycamore's players have got to avoid allowing Harpeth to get on "THE BIG RUN" against them that always seems to decide the outcome of the game. In the first meeting it happened right before the half when Giltner hit the big shot to give the Indians all of the momentum in the world and in the previous meeting prior to tonight it was Newton who came out early and carried Harpeth to a huge lead that they held onto late. Tonight #15 hits a shot prior to the half to halt a Sycamore rally and it seemed to "take all of the air out of the sails" of the War Eagles.

I would certainly love to see these two teams play for a fifth time in the Region 6AA Final. I don't believe it will happen becuase Liberty Tech is a great team and barring any kind of REALLY FLAT PERFORMANCES next week they'll at least get 1 of 2 against one of these two teams.

Sycamore will not lose to McNairy Central at home on Saturday Night. Guys like Austin Lohin, Derek Cannon, Murray Harris, & John Kinman do not want for their playing careers to end in their "own backyard". McNairy Central has a great basketball player on their team in Ken Bingham. Sycamore's players are aware of what he did to Harpeth last year in the Regional Opener. That game did occur after all following the War Eagles crushing of what all 12AA fans were calling "a very good Lexington Tigers bunch" :thumb:

Has Jackson South Side beaten anyone lately besides Camden & Chester Co.????? They lost both their second and third meetings to Bolivar Central. They lost both their second and third meetings to McNairy Central. They also lost to a Lexington team that has been home for over a week now. Jackson South Side started off the season looking like a real threat to compete for the state this year as Slube said but now they will be very fortunate just to survive the opening round of the Regional Tourney over the weekend. Harpeth is a team "on a roll" and they will be reminded numerous times about last year's disaster after winning the District Title. It's going to be a long bus ride back to Jackson on Saturday night for the Hawks.

ON A SIDE NOTE: I wish both of these teams student sections would decide to cheer THE ENTIRE GAME instead of starting out cheering then standing in silence for 2+ quarters before getting involved in the game once again when crunch time arrives. The crowds next week will be a huge key for District 11AA & I encourage all of the Harpeth, Sycamore, & even the Cheatham Co. fans to unite as one and cheer these two outstanding Men's Basketball teams on to victory THROUGHOUT THE DURATION OF THE ENTIRE GAME!!!!

I plan on being at Waverly Central High School next week and I'll be the biggest District 11AA fan in the house as well. That means that I'll be a Harpeth & Sycamore fan (and maybe even a Creek Wood or Cheatham Co. fan if either of them can pull an "upset special" on Saturday Night). I already have hopes of seeing a Harpeth vs Sycamore V next week. Hopefully that same hope applies to you all as well.

Well to answe your side note most of the Harpeth students were into the game most of us have some sort of knowledge of the game of basketball. We also had to watch what we said because of the lady cop right beside came over to us before the game and said if things get hostile y'all will have to sit down. After the 1 2 3 4 you can't beat us Sycamore chant she came and sat 2 people down from me in our student section. But, did Sycamore's fans chant anything in the 2nd half? I heard a couple defense chants in the 1st half.

I thought the student section did all right too. I was across the gym and there were all sorts of administrators and rent a cops going by and talking to the students every so often. As long as they aren't using profanity, throwing stuff or tearing stuff up, let the students be............students. I love the '2 a days' chant! Pretty creative.

I thought the one official was horrible both ways. He T'd up Lohin in an emotional district tournament championship game when I didn't see Austin gesture or change facial expressions after being called for the original foul. Bad form I thought. As a Harpeth fan, you want to beat Sycamore with their best on the court. Later Giltner gets hammered after a rebound and falls to the ground to get a traveling call. I thought the other 2 refs did a decent job, but that one guy was clueless.

Congratulations to the Indians on their Harpeth sweep of MVP and Coach of the Year awards. All were very deserving. Go district 11AA! I'll be rooting for our district guys and girls when they aren't playing one another. Heck yeah!

When the awards were being presented Jamie Wilson told me to "keep picking against Harpeth" :lol: I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN THIS YEAR NO MATTER WHO THEY PLAY OR WHAT THEY LOOKED LIKE THE GAME BEFORE ;)Harpeth beats Jackson South Side on Saturday night BIG!!!!!

Congrats to Creek Wood on the big comeback win over Cheatham Co. You guys made every big shot and got every offensive rebound known to man. I told your coach afterwards that you guys played well and that I wish you the best of luck against Bolivar Central on Saturday night. I'll take Bolivar by 10 in a game that could be closer and have "upset" written all over it if Creek Wood comes to play.

Speaking of Cheatham Co. all I can say there is that some nights the ball doesn't bounce your way. Coach Stigall and his staff have done a great job this season and getting back to the Regionals is nothing to hang your heads about. Liberty Tech is the best team in the state in any classification and I believe they'll end the Cubs season for the second year in a row on Saturday night.

Sycamore has a "monkey on their backs" and it's known as the Harpeth Indians. With that said however they are still in the Regionals and still playing at home on Saturday night in Pleasant View. McNairy Central is a team that plays into Sycamore's hands I believe because the War Eagles traditionally excel against teams with one great player (ie Jake West & Cody Dunn). Sycamore wins at home by 15.

HERE IS MY OFFICIAL REGION 6AA TOURNEY BRACKET WITH PREDICTIONS

Quarterfinals

1.) Liberty Tech over Cheatham Co. by 25

2.) Sycamore over Creek Wood by 15

2.) Bolivar Central over Creek Wood by 10

1.) Harpeth over Jackson South Side by 20

Semifinals

Liberty Tech over Sycamore by 10

Harpeth over Bolivar Central by 15

Championship

Harpeth over Liberty Tech by 1 (In the Sectional Harpeth will host Giles Co. while Liberty Tech will travel to MLK)

LIBERTY TECH WILL NOT BEAT ALL THREE CHEATHAM COUNTY TEAMS (at least I hope not) :thumb:

Was Your User Name Catfish? Just wondering

I don't see how you can say this year's Harpeth team isn't just as talented or has less ability than the Waverly team of 2 years ago or the Sycamore team of 3 or 4 years ago. It wasn't like those teams set the world on fire. They were no better or different than any other past district champions. I would definitely put this years Indians team up against either of those teams. Having said that, I realize Harpeth most likely won't beat Liberty, but they can get to the finals and earn a berth to the sectionals. One thing to remember as well, this year's Liberty team is better than the Bolivar teams of 2 and 4 years ago also. I'm realistic and know it will be a tough 2 games to just get to the region final and then it will be almost impossible to beat Liberty.

You are kidding me right? That Bolivar team had 3 DI prospects on it's team and the game went to the wire with Waverly. In fact Waverly led part of the way. Ricco Ralston on that team from Waverly is head and shoulders above any guy on this Harpeth team. I have a picture of him dunking over Chism in that game. Chism 6'9" Ralston 6'. You don't have the shooter like Jonathan Leonard who could take over a game with his three point shooting or a guy who battles the middle like Ryan Hollis or one who played defense like Curtis Reid who was consistently put on the other teams best player. That Waverly team would humiliate this year's Harpeth team. This year's Harpeth team is not as good as last year's Sycamore team in my opinion.

I don't think Harpeth will get to the finals because I'm not sure they will beat Southside Saturday. But if they do, it's not a matter of unlikely they would beat Liberty. Liberty will beat them by 25+.

Edited by papatiger

:thumb: The Waverly team from 3 years ago didn't even humiliate the Harpeth team of 3 years ago. They won the regular season game at Harpeth by 3, at home by 6 and beat the Indians by 11 in the tournament. That was a 14-14 Harpeth squad that was very young. One senior I believe and Waverly had 5 seniors starting didn't they? Giles County beat Waverly in region by 11 and Bolivar creamed them by 21 in the substate.

I mean, admittedly we're all homers to a degree here and comparing teams is dangerous business, but I think this year's Harpeth team could handle the Harpeth team of 2004-05 easily and Waverly at least got a game from them during regular season. Why you hatin' on Harpeth?

You are kidding me right? That Bolivar team had 3 DI prospects on it's team and the game went to the wire with Waverly. In fact Waverly led part of the way. Ricco Ralston on that team from Waverly is head and shoulders above any guy on this Harpeth team. I have a picture of him dunking over Chism in that game. Chism 6'9" Ralston 6'. You don't have the shooter like Jonathan Leonard who could take over a game with his three point shooting or a guy who battles the middle like Ryan Hollis or one who played defense like Curtis Reid who was consistently put on the other teams best player. That Waverly team would humiliate this year's Harpeth team. This year's Harpeth team is not as good as last year's Sycamore team in my opinion.

I don't think Harpeth will get to the finals because I'm not sure they will beat Southside Saturday. But if they do, it's not a matter of unlikely they would beat Liberty. Liberty will beat them by 25+.

What are you smoking? I do think this year's Liberty team is better than the Bolivar team of 2 year's ago and will win their second straight state championship. Reading your other posts you are definitely the biggest homer around when it comes to Waverly. That Waverly team orf 2 years ago struggled against Harpeth in a year that Harpeth was way down. This year's Harpeth team has size, depth, an inside and outside game. I thought the Waverly team 2 years ago was good, but to say they would humiliate this year's Harpeth team? You lose any and all credibility you might have had. That Waverly team was rather small if I remember correctly. Harpeth is big and quick at every spot. Are any of those Waverly players playing anywhere now? Nothing wrong with being a homer, but take off the blue tinted glasses every now then. Oh, and if Liberty does beat Harpeth by 25 points, it will be right on par of what Bolivar did to Waverly that year.

Edited by philmeyer

What are you smoking? I do think this year's Liberty team is better than the Bolivar team of 2 year's ago and will win their second straight state championship. Reading your other posts you are definitely the biggest homer around when it comes to Waverly. That Waverly team orf 2 years ago struggled against Harpeth in a year that Harpeth was way down. This year's Harpeth team has size, depth, an inside and outside game. I thought the Waverly team 2 years ago was good, but to say they would humiliate this year's Harpeth team? You lose any and all credibility you might have had. That Waverly team was rather small if I remember correctly. Harpeth is big and quick at every spot. Are any of those Waverly players playing anywhere now? Nothing wrong with being a homer, but take off the blue tinted glasses every now then. Oh, and if Liberty does beat Harpeth by 25 points, it will be right on par of what Bolivar did to Waverly that year.

Right on phil!!!!! Now I don't have to respond, couldn't have said it better myself.

Just wait till HHS1 gets online. :thumb: