Milan must forfeit five games

CoachT

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if Milan hadn't been using an ineligible player, they wouldn't have had to worry about anyone turning them in. Why blame USJ? The blame should lie on the shoulders of the player's parents for trying to twist the TSSAA into thinking they were moving to Milan and then not doing it.

Didn't the inelig. player come from USJ? Doesn't his mom work at USJ? I would think the Milan principal would have taken extra steps to make sure the transfer complied fully with TSSAA rules. Mr. Carter can be consulted on these matters before the season starts, right?

But, SallyMae, who can blame Milan for blaming USJ? Everyone knows that this would only stir the bad-blood that already exists.

Didn't the inelig. player come from USJ? Doesn't his mom work at USJ? I would think the Milan principal would have taken extra steps to make sure the transfer complied fully with TSSAA rules. Mr. Carter can be consulted on these matters before the season starts, right?

But, SallyMae, who can blame Milan for blaming USJ? Everyone knows that this would only stir the bad-blood that already exists.

Why is there bad blood between Milan and USJ? Wasn't last year the first time they had ever played? Didn't Milan beat them soundly both times? Why does Milan hate USJ so much?

This should end all this blaming:

When I was still in Jackson back in August, I personally saw the player pulling out of his sub division in Jackson every day headed to Milan for school. They might have started staying in Milan since then, but he was definetley driving from Jackson to Milan at the time.

Once again, I feel bad for Milan's principal and Coach Morris, because they were definetley put in a bad situation. BUT, you know some of the players had to have known what was going on and likely some of the coaches as well. . .

Also, I feel bad for the player. He looked like he had started to work hard and had lost weight. I was happy that he was starting to hopefully realize some of his potential.

BUT. . . It's not USJ's fault that Milan broke the rules! USJ isn't even the school that most stands to gain from the forfeitures.

In 2003 season. CPA reported themselves when they found out they had an ineligible player on the team due to a clerical error related to his transfer. They were #1 in the Region when they reported themselves, and had to forfeit 4 wins, dropping them to last in the region at midseason.

The 4 games the ineligible player played in were all blowouts and the only reason he played was that CPA emptied their bench in the 2nd half. He was no factor in the wins. CPA didn't complain or blame anyone else. They just kept playing, ran the table the rest of the season, made the playoffs at 5-5 and eventually lost to DCA 21-12 (DCA ended up in the Blue Cross Bowl) in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Milan can still make a great season out of this year. Persevering through a setback like this will be a great life lesson for the players and coaches. "What doesn't destroy is makes us stronger".

Once again, I feel bad for Milan's principal and Coach Morris, because they were definetley put in a bad situation. BUT, you know some of the players had to have known what was going on and likely some of the coaches as well. . .

Oh..I have no sympathy for the Milan administration. It`s my opinion that they were the ones who ultimately are to blame here. They are the ones who are supposed to be familiar with the TSSAA rules. Players and families come and then they are gone, but the administration at Milan..principal, AD, coaches...are the ones who are in charge. They are the ones who are being paid to know the rules.

I hate it for Milan`s fans. I hate it for the team. I especially hate it for the player because he can`t play now. I see most Milan fans are accepting what happened and moving on, but some are just too obsessed with USJ. If a rule has been broken, does it really matter who turns them in?

I could sit here and speculate and make the case that Milan was blatently cheating and hoping they could get by with it. I`d prefer to think though that the administration just fumbled the ball. I`d prefer to think that the players family simply thought all they needed was a Milan address. I`m sure a Milan address was all that he needed to attend MHS, but more is required by the TSSAA in order to be considered a legitimate transfer. I know the family and don`t think they would have gone through the trouble and expense that they did to try and set up a "legal" transfer if they knew it wasn`t adequate to be considered eligible.

Again..Milan pays folks to know these things. It`s their job to verify what is going on as to compliance. I`m sure they`ll be a bit more attentive next time a transfer situation occurs. The kid went to USJ all his life and pretty much lives across the street from the USJ campus. It`s not like no one would have noticed things. I`ve read a lot of posts on here accusing USJ of cheating in the past. I`ve even seen folks gloating over them getting penalized last year over what amounted to be a clerical error. USJ actually turned themselves in when it found out about it. Someone in the Milan administration needs to step up and take the blame. I`ll be interested to hear what the administrations comments are in the paper. I saw the other day that the principal said they are gonna do what`s in the best interest of MHS. They should have done that though back in August.

Good Luck to the Bulldogs. I`ll be rooting for them to do well. They have always been a great representative to West TN football. I feel for the fans and players. But those that want to blame USJ for this are just way off base. It reminds me of Alabama fans blaming UT for them getting caught cheating.

hhmmm...don't do the crime if you can't do the time. It ain't rocket science to figure out what the living situation with the ineligible player was even before the season started. Maybe Milan thought it would fly under the radar? USJ received harsher punishment last year b/c of a delinquent tuition payment. My advice - quit whining and concentrate on winning out and show up in the playoffs without your ineligible player.

You sound like a bitter usj parent. Milan is not to blame for this, they run a fine program.The parents of the child are to blame. They did not tell the truth. Same thing happen in usj baseball program when players tution was not paid. The parents of those kids lied and it hurt everybody else. START BLAMING THE PARENTS.

This should end all this blaming:

When I was still in Jackson back in August, I personally saw the player pulling out of his sub division in Jackson every day headed to Milan for school. They might have started staying in Milan since then, but he was definetley driving from Jackson to Milan at the time.

Also, I feel bad for the player. He looked like he had started to work hard and had lost weight. I was happy that he was starting to hopefully realize some of his potential.

BUT. . . It's not USJ's fault that Milan broke the rules! USJ isn't even the school that most stands to gain from the forfeitures.

Milan did not break the rules. The parents did.

Oh..I have no sympathy for the Milan administration. It`s my opinion that they were the ones who ultimately are to blame here. They are the ones who are supposed to be familiar with the TSSAA rules. Players and families come and then they are gone, but the administration at Milan..principal, AD, coaches...are the ones who are in charge. They are the ones who are being paid to know the rules.

I hate it for Milan`s fans. I hate it for the team. I especially hate it for the player because he can`t play now. I see most Milan fans are accepting what happened and moving on, but some are just too obsessed with USJ. If a rule has been broken, does it really matter who turns them in?

I could sit here and speculate and make the case that Milan was blatently cheating and hoping they could get by with it. I`d prefer to think though that the administration just fumbled the ball. I`d prefer to think that the players family simply thought all they needed was a Milan address. I`m sure a Milan address was all that he needed to attend MHS, but more is required by the TSSAA in order to be considered a legitimate transfer. I know the family and don`t think they would have gone through the trouble and expense that they did to try and set up a "legal" transfer if they knew it wasn`t adequate to be considered eligible.

Again..Milan pays folks to know these things. It`s their job to verify what is going on as to compliance. I`m sure they`ll be a bit more attentive next time a transfer situation occurs. The kid went to USJ all his life and pretty much lives across the street from the USJ campus. It`s not like no one would have noticed things. I`ve read a lot of posts on here accusing USJ of cheating in the past. I`ve even seen folks gloating over them getting penalized last year over what amounted to be a clerical error. USJ actually turned themselves in when it found out about it. Someone in the Milan administration needs to step up and take the blame. I`ll be interested to hear what the administrations comments are in the paper. I saw the other day that the principal said they are gonna do what`s in the best interest of MHS. They should have done that though back in August.

Good Luck to the Bulldogs. I`ll be rooting for them to do well. They have always been a great representative to West TN football. I feel for the fans and players. But those that want to blame USJ for this are just way off base. It reminds me of Alabama fans blaming UT for them getting caught cheating.

Usj knew someone else was fixing to turn them in if they didnt. Usj knew what was going on.