Wilson Central Transfers

greenevillefan

I was hoping that I wasn't the only one in Tennessee that felt that way because at that moment when this was going on, I really felt like I was the only one that understood that the school should come first. You would have thought that I stole some money or something from them the way that it got so heated. Everything is better now. The real issue was that the kid didn't really want to play anymore but the parents wanted her to keep playing and so I agreed with the kid and defended her saying that we would be playing enough basketball to get her the experience she needed and that she didn't have to play and she was always coming back injured too. I was trying to protect the kid too. Needless to say, the kid wasn't telling her parents that she didn't want to play so it looked as if I was the only one going against it. I believe that I was the first person to experience the Nuke testing in North Korea... It got real ugly, real fast! Like I said, everything is better now. The truth surfaced and things are better. However, I don't like how AAU coaches in this area feel that this is the only way. If AAU was the only way, why don't we get rid of high school basketball all together and let the girls just play in the summer. What's the importance of playing from November to March... it would save time wouldn't it?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think aau is fun and the competition makes the player better. Playing with and against good players is a positive thing. When it comes to priorities though, I think the school team should be first. As far as this particular case is concerned, I do not know all the facts, and I don't want to judge the people involved. I will just say, Mt. Juliet lost two very good players, and a good Wilson Central team got better. I know this, I want to be there when these two teams play each other, I can't wait for that. :rolleyes:

Edited by worden55

unless you don't realize it AAU or anyother summer ball helps kids get into college

I agree with what you say, but also disagree. If AAU was not around kids would still be getting into college. Before AAU developed into what it is now, lots of kids, got scholarships. The good players will be found, but I believe there are a whole lot more college coaches talking to high school coaches about who they are recruiting than they are talking to most AAU coaches. I know there are some great AAU coaches out there, and some bad high school coaches. But I believe high school basketball is the real ticket for players. Most (not all) times the high school coach knows a lot more about that kid cause they see them almost every day at school, keep track of their academics and outside situation. None of which an AAU coach worries about. AAU is great to help improve players skills. But almost every team I have been associated with in high school has a player being given bad information by an AAU coach, and taking them away from what their high school program is trying to help the player with. This is from three different schools that has good players, and wins championships. I believe something needs to change about how these two programs work almost against themself, which does not help the player, it only sets them back. What the solution is, I am not sure. I think that might be part of the push by TSSAA and some of their rule changes. It is to be seen if that will help.

What are the facts, since you seem to know.

It is not up to me to speak for the two families who transferred, but I will share a couple of wrong statements.

The student's mom who teaches, does not even teach at Wilson Central. Their daughter isn't going to the school of their choice because she is a teacher; they moved to the Wilson Central school district.

The recruiting talk can stop, because no one was ever recruited by the Wilson Central coaches.

I applaud the parents for teaching their kids to stand up for what they believe in. Those two girls went through a lot to do what they did. Losing friends and everything they knew. Being a teenager is hard enough without having to make the tough decision they made.

The problems they faced went a LOT deeper than choosing AAU over high school ball. They gave 45-50 weeks out of the year to high school ball; missing a bus ride to play in their State Championship AAU games should at least be considered with a mature coach to player conversation instead of being given an ultimatum of being on the bus or being off the team.

They also give up being involved in any other activities in school due to such demanding bb schedules. When it is AAU season, such as April, three girls were severly punished with unreasonable running and workouts due to missing a high school practice for an AAU tournament. The real issues had to do with dealing with very controlling coaches who like to play mind games with their players. Nothing is ever enough.

As far as academics go; 4th period in block schedule should not be basketball~ Those coaches don't give the kids college futures a second thought. If they did; they would better prepare them academically.

Everyone on these posts are going to think what they want to and never know the whole truth, but I feel like I owe it to these families to set some of the record straight.

:D

It is not up to me to speak for the two families who transferred, but I will share a couple of wrong statements.

The student's mom who teaches, does not even teach at Wilson Central. Their daughter isn't going to the school of their choice because she is a teacher; they moved to the Wilson Central school district.

The recruiting talk can stop, because no one was ever recruited by the Wilson Central coaches.

I applaud the parents for teaching their kids to stand up for what they believe in. Those two girls went through a lot to do what they did. Losing friends and everything they knew. Being a teenager is hard enough without having to make the tough decision they made.

The problems they faced went a LOT deeper than choosing AAU over high school ball. They gave 45-50 weeks out of the year to high school ball; missing a bus ride to play in their State Championship AAU games should at least be considered with a mature coach to player conversation instead of being given an ultimatum of being on the bus or being off the team.

They also give up being involved in any other activities in school due to such demanding bb schedules. When it is AAU season, such as April, three girls were severly punished with unreasonable running and workouts due to missing a high school practice for an AAU tournament. The real issues had to do with dealing with very controlling coaches who like to play mind games with their players. Nothing is ever enough.

As far as academics go; 4th period in block schedule should not be basketball~ Those coaches don't give the kids college futures a second thought. If they did; they would better prepare them academically.

Everyone on these posts are going to think what they want to and never know the whole truth, but I feel like I owe it to these families to set some of the record straight.

:rolleyes:

I think the post turned into aau versus school ball. I figured it was a matter of time, before those close to the situation answered this post. I know for sure, the sacrifice of those who play in the MJ system, and there was a lot more to this situation, than was being written about. I was speaking of my feelings in general terms, concerning aau and school ball. I still have no opinion on this particular situatuion, because I was not close enough to the situation to form an objective opinion. It is obvious, many in this post are unaware of the story. I think because of the high profile of the players and the schools, this will be discussed for quite awhile. As a result, there will be a lot of misinformation spread on the subject. I did not want to be guilty of that, but this is also going to make this rivary more intense this season for sure! :blink:

:D

what i want to know is why 4th block shouldn't be basketball? Our girls did not practice 4th block. but i always thought it would be better, because they could continue practice after school without having to change clothes twice a day when they had to practice after school anyway.

OK, this is way off the original topic, and maybe it ought to be it's own thread, but....

If all you have are 4 classes a day, Basketball practice should NEVER be an option for the 4th class.

If you are interested in going to college, you should be using your class schedule to get prepared for college. Or do some other "activity class", like Annual Staff, but NOT a sport practice.

My Opinion.

As far as the other, if they transferred under the rules, then why they transferred is their own business. As far as teaching lessons, maybe the lesson the parents are teaching the girl is that I will stand up for you, if I can make it happen. Honestly, most families can't or won't be able to make the move these two families have evidently made.

2 years from now, these girls are going to be in college, hopefully looking back on an enjoyable finish to their high school experience. Good luck to them.

Edited by raiderray