Loss of Respect for Watertown

tnchad1980

Not start your starters.....Come on man. It's nobody elses fault that Red Boiling is terrible. How about this???? Get all of the atheletes in the school to play football instead of just basketball. If you can't do that......Let the kids that want to play football go to Macon County. I guess coaches are supposed to punt on first down against RBS because they can't compete. Has RBS ever thought about dropping their football program all together? They can't compete and the admin. don't care to.

Offense is supposed to score points. Defense is supposed to stop the offense from scoring points. It's not RBS oppositions' job to keep from scoring.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not start your starters.....Come on man. It's nobody elses fault that Red Boiling is terrible. How about this???? Get all of the atheletes in the school to play football instead of just basketball. If you can't do that......Let the kids that want to play football go to Macon County. I guess coaches are supposed to punt on first down against RBS because they can't compete. Has RBS ever thought about dropping their football program all together? They can't compete and the admin. don't care to.

Offense is supposed to score points. Defense is supposed to stop the offense from scoring points. It's not RBS oppositions' job to keep from scoring.

Excellent suggestion! provide transportation from school to school, let kids that want to play, play. RBS gets to keep their beloved basketball and everyone would be better off. Macon needs another paid assistant coach, move the money over. Everyone wins.

Excellent suggestion! provide transportation from school to school, let kids that want to play, play. RBS gets to keep their beloved basketball and everyone would be better off. Macon needs another paid assistant coach, move the money over. Everyone wins.

That's a great idea. It could be done too, if both parties agreed. I know there is a small school in Maury Co (can't remember the name), they don't have a football team, so their kids who want to play get to play at one of the bigger high schools in Columbia. This school has basketball and baseball, just not football. That way the kids at RBS who work so hard would actually have a chance to win in football, but they wouldn't have to lose their school that they grew up in.

Nothing to cry or get over or build. I'm not an RBS fan, I am actually in Atlanta Georgia right now. I was on the TSSAA site and was reading. When Smith Co walked on TC jacket fans were complaining about them running up the score...so make up your mind what's accpetable and not TC fan :rolleyes:

Does it make a difference what city you are in as to who you are a fan of??I doubt if anyone felt sorry for TC after that game. You can't help but feel for RBS,but what is a coach to do? As stated in previous posts, you can't just tell your 2nd and 3rd team players to just quit. This is their chance to show what they can do!! Now I'll give an example of running up the score--2 weeks ago when LA went to AE, AE had the ball, up 35-0, driving with 30 seconds to go in the half and what do they do? Call a time out so they can have time to score another TD, which they did. Not much made of this since LA had knocked AE out of playoffs last year, but I'll bet nothing like this happens to RBS.

I was at the WT/RBS game last night. The score at half time was 48-0. He didnt play the starters the whole 2nd half. The thing I have a problem with is the play right before the half, with about 40 seconds left, Thompson made about an 80 yard run for a TD. There was a flag (can't remeber what we did) and it got called back. By this time, there was about 12 seconds on the clock and instead of taking a knee, WT ran the same play again and this time WT scored. That, in my opinion was totally uncalled for. I'm not trying to take any thing away from Thompson, it was a great run, just don't understand why you would risk getting our best player hurt. To the RBS players I would just like to say that I have a ton of respect for you guys, keep your heads up and your hearts in it and you will eventually get a win. I thought it was really sad when RBS scored and the WT fans were cheering louder for them than the RBS fans. Good luck RBS,

Thompson should have been pulled out of the game earlier than an attempt for the 40+ point. This is not a wise decision (look what happened to Oklahoma RB Adrian Petterson). Nor is this an area in which the coaching staff at Watertown made an ethical decision about the sport of football. This is plain and simple Running Up of the Score. Very similar to a game played earlier in the year when Friendship ran up the score on Clay County. Starters that are all-regional type performers should not be in a game when winning by more than 5 TD's.

One suggestion:

Pull out your star player first.

Then skilled players.

Followed by linemen.

Thompson should have been pulled out of the game earlier than an attempt for the 40+ point. This is not a wise decision (look what happened to Oklahoma RB Adrian Petterson). Nor is this an area in which the coaching staff at Watertown made an ethical decision about the sport of football. This is plain and simple Running Up of the Score. Very similar to a game played earlier in the year when Friendship ran up the score on Clay County. Starters that are all-regional type performers should not be in a game when winning by more than 5 TD's.

One suggestion:

Pull out your star player first.

Then skilled players.

Followed by linemen.

I wasn't at the game, but I know Coach Webster and he would never run up the score. I have a tremendous respect for both programs, and there's no reason to talk bad about either program.

I agree with most of the other posters in that you can't tell your 2nd and 3rd teams not to score.

And, if I played for RBS, I wouldn't want a team to punt on 1st down. That would be even more insulting.

If people from RBS want to complain about it, how about taking initiative to do something about it. Invest in your football program.

Pay some coaches, get a subpar weightroom(last I saw it subpar would be an improvement), and encourage the school's athletes to play.

The schools has lots of athletes. I see them every year in basketball, so get them to play football. It may be harder than it sounds, but that's what you'll have to do.

I wasn't at the game, but I know Coach Webster and he would never run up the score.

Well,I was at the game and Webster may not, but Goolsby would.(a time out was called in order to be able to run that last TD, my opinion WT was just trying to pad Thompsons stats at the expense of RBS and what makes this more glaring is the RBS defense had 2nd teamers in on that last defensive series) I can remember when in a Junior high game between Smith County and RBS in the mid 90's and Keith Goolsby was SC coach , the owls were up some 40 points late in the 4th qtr, RBS was about to score against SC 2nd team and Goolsby put the 1st team defense in to prevent a score, so don't defend his actions.

It is time to close this thread. You do not have anyone from RBS team or coaching staff that is complaining. We went through this mess last year after Trousdale Co. THe Watertown game is over and done and I am sure the RBS team, coach and his assistant have put this one behind them and are preparing for next weeks game. Give Watertown credit, they have a good team and their younger players did score some TD's. I don't recall anyone getting on here and crying when Friendship defeated Clay Co. by the same score. GIVE IT A REST!!!

With all this talk about so called running up the score by Watertown. Where's all the love for Forrest putting it to Nash Christian ?

I was wondering when this would come up. Last year I remember when TC beat RBS and the up roar about it. I didn't post anything but remember thinking that it was kinda bad to do that. After friday when the Rockets of Forrest put up a big number vs. Nashville Christian I saw what the TC people were saying. When you have young guys in you can't tell they to only give 50% or not score. Sometimes its just the way it works out. Forrest scored 21 in 3 and a half minutes. 35 in the first quarter. First team offence was out into the second and first team D was out at the half. You score on dives, you score on punt returns(in the first quarter) you score on int's, you score on fumbles, sometimes nothing can go right on one side and nothing wrong on the other. Unless the frist teams stayed in the whole game and were throwing or something trying to score thru the 4th you really can't give them grief.. Get off their backs get over it and get ready for next week. Most teams at one point or another have been on both sides of a blow out.

I was wondering when this would come up. Last year I remember when TC beat RBS and the up roar about it. I didn't post anything but remember thinking that it was kinda bad to do that. After friday when the Rockets of Forrest put up a big number vs. Nashville Christian I saw what the TC people were saying. When you have young guys in you can't tell they to only give 50% or not score. Sometimes its just the way it works out. Forrest scored 21 in 3 and a half minutes. 35 in the first quarter. First team offence was out into the second and first team D was out at the half. You score on dives, you score on punt returns(in the first quarter) you score on int's, you score on fumbles, sometimes nothing can go right on one side and nothing wrong on the other. Unless the frist teams stayed in the whole game and were throwing or something trying to score thru the 4th you really can't give them grief.. Get off their backs get over it and get ready for next week. Most teams at one point or another have been on both sides of a blow out.

Thanks voiceofrockets, I couldn't agree more. I believe you've hit the nail square & drove it straight through. Have a good week & good luck Friday

Close and remove this thread! More coach bashing on Coach T whether you win or lose. I guess some people just won't close or remove a thread because they like to see coaches criticized.

As far as running up the score; I believe it is far more embarassing to have 8th graders score, a team to try not to score, or be given things than to simply get beaten.

There are things that can be done to keep scores down but the biggest thing is on the team getting beaten, don't throw the ball, don't turn in over, run between the tackles and play a safe conservative defense that allows you to tackle the running back when he breaks through the line.