THE GOVS...Remind anybody of Vols last year?

theDL

I don't play the drums but my brother does.

Dang ... I thought you were your "little brother." It's actually big brother ... my old team mate on the Bungalow Jets. The man who once jacked S.J.'s jaw in the old Maryville Junior High gym? Or do you still remember that one? :ph34r:

How are you old friend?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang ... I thought you were your "little brother." It's actually big brother ... my old team mate on the Bungalow Jets. The man who once jacked S.J.'s jaw in the old Maryville Junior High gym? Or do you still remember that one? :ph34r:

How are you old friend?

Not many Bungaloo Jets still around......at least not many that will claim to be but I did see a few old Jets the other night. Bo, Ronnie, June Bug, and Slow Joe Collins.

they dont remind me of last years vols in that they were not predicted to win a national, or state, championship, or were not ranked #2 in the nation, or state, however they have had a season's worth of games that were eerily similar, however i'd say they are more like last years michigan wolverines, every game they played in came down to the last play in the 4th quarter it seemed like, and there weren't as many preseason championship asperations from them...i'd say they are this years '05 michigan wolverines

they dont remind me of last years vols in that they were not predicted to win a national, or state, championship, or were not ranked #2 in the nation, or state, however they have had a season's worth of games that were eerily similar, however i'd say they are more like last years michigan wolverines, every game they played in came down to the last play in the 4th quarter it seemed like, and there weren't as many preseason championship asperations from them...i'd say they are this years '05 michigan wolverines

That's a very good assessment, and hopefully we'll run the table next year too ;)

I think TVGov does a good job. Holden Lail does a good job. I was dissapointed in his Maryville comment. I enjoy watching the broadcast. I have never met TVGov or Holden Lail. I have met Govman. Govman is a great guy and a great ambassador for WB.

The WB fans I have a problem with are Rick Young,Bruce Borden and Richard Shewmake. Those guys cried about Maryville on articles they wrote in the newspaper. Anyone that knows Rick Young knows he is the biggest crybaby around. He threatened to never play Don Sentells team again. His Fairview midget team played Sentells Maryville Rebs team last week. One of the Rebs players got hurt. The Fairview team took a knee. Rick Young told his team to get up. He told them we don't take a knee for those guys.

Anyone that knows Rick Young knows he is the biggest crybaby around. He threatened to never play Don Sentells team again. His Fairview midget team played Sentells Maryville Rebs team last week. One of the Rebs players got hurt. The Fairview team took a knee. Rick Young told his team to get up. He told them we don't take a knee for those guys.

GovMan,

Things like this is why we will always have problems in the Maryville/William Blount football games in the future. This adult is teaching hatred for Maryville Football to boys ages 9 to 12.

Jerry Thompson, PLEASE CANCEL THE MARYVILLE / WILLIAM BLOUNT SERIES and let's try to create some peace and harmony. Mabey after 6 or 7 years some of this City/County haterd will have graduated out.

I know that Maryville has some problems also so I guess both of the schools could use some time for healing.

Rebel9

GovMan,

Things like this is why we will always have problems in the Maryville/William Blount football games in the future. This adult is teaching hatred for Maryville Football to boys ages 9 to 12.

Jerry Thompson, PLEASE CANCEL THE MARYVILLE / WILLIAM BLOUNT SERIES and let's try to create some peace and harmony. Mabey after 6 or 7 years some of this City/County haterd will have graduated out.

I know that Maryville has some problems also so I guess both of the schools could use some time for healing.

Rebel9

Rebel9,

It is hard for me to believe that any adult would ever tell his kids to "not take a knee" "we don't take a knee for those guys." But, it is equally hard for me to question anything RebelRon would ever say. ONEOLDCOACH ... if you are out there ... could you confirm, deny, or at least give a little detail of this incident? I'm not in any way doubting you RebelRon, but could there perhaps be more to the story?

You might be right friend, on the wisdom of doing away with this inter-county rivalry (I'm not sure how much of a rivalry it really is ... we've won like 3 times in 20 or so meetings). But I hate to do it. My motives might not have the best interest of both schools involved. It just seems to me like though, for WB to walk away from it, you're telling the kids ... "hey, if you have a big obstacle in your way in life, just quit. Walk away. Take the easy way out."

It seems to me like, on this board, since the WB / MHS game, that many of "us" on this board have made some strides (I'm not always perfect) in realizing that there are a lot of us on both sides that respect each other and really have the best interest of our schools, our communities, and our young people at the top of our priority list. I tend to agree with a point that Stars n Bars has made a few times ... I don't think it is the kids as much as the adults making this such a huge issue. I know that alot of the Maryville kids and alot of the WB kids carry on friendships and hang out together and support each other. I talked to a young man at Little Caesars the other night, he was working there, that plays for Maryville. Incredibly classy young man. He recognized me from having done a pre-game talk for the Maryville team. He was very complimentary of WB ... talked about how much tough luck they had experienced, and told me he hoped we would get into the play-offs and win some games. I could take you to several WB players that would tell you straight up, "we hope Maryville wins it all this year." These kids might be the exception ... not the norm ... I'm not sure.

To teach these young people, hey it's ok to want to step on to the field or onto the court and beat these guys, is ok. What an incredible achievement it would be for WB football to someday beat Maryville. I'd love that. There's obviously a huge chip on our shoulders cause you "own us." The challenge is to not let that turn in to 'hate' or 'illwill'. I'm doing everything in my power to teach my own kids ... it's ok to want to beat Maryville everytime you ever play against them ... but win or lose, it's just a game.

You might be right ... maybe dropping the game would help. BUT ... i wish folks like you, me, and others could "change the atmosphere" of the match-up, without doing away with the game. If the game does take place next year, maybe on Thursday night, a bunch of us ought to get together, have a bon-fire, lock arms and sing, "KumbaYa". :lol: In all seriousness, I assure you I'll do everything in my power to try to provide a better setting ... but it's just hard to control some folks sometimes.

Not many Bungaloo Jets still around......at least not many that will claim to be but I did see a few old Jets the other night. Bo, Ronnie, June Bug, and Slow Joe Collins.

MLREB, when you brought up those names of famous Bungalow Jets, I started humming Elton John's song, "Da.....da.......da.......da..........Della and the Jetsssssss." :thumb:

When I thank of Bungalow I thank about the Bungalow Saints too. A couple of the Saint's All-Stars would have to be Dropsy and Turry Dan McFall. Don't you agree Gov-Man?

Edited by STARSNBARS

It would be a shame to cancel this series. Sounds like some of the adults could take a lesson from the players and younger fans.........I have coached travel ball for many years and the bottom line is the kids just want to play if the parents and adults will allow them to do so......

Edited by VTEC

MLREB, when you brought up those names of famous Bungalow Jets, I started humming Elton John's song, "Da.....da.......da.......da..........Della and the Jetsssssss." :thumb:

When I thank of Bungalow I thank about the Bungalow Saints too. A couple of the Saint's All-Stars would have to be Dropsy and Turry Dan McFall. Don't you agree Gov-Man?

Yes, the McFall boys would definitely go into the Saint hall of fame. And of course, the Ford Motor Sports hall of fame as well. Elementary school wise though ... they were Cardinals, were they not?

Stars ... here's some trivia? Name a couple of great Golden Gloves boxers from Bungalow town?

BTW ... none other than Holden "the Professor" Lail was my first basketball coach at Bungalow. And my football coach for the Saints was a Mr. Pettigo. Anybody familiar with him?