Oak Ridge sees return of Ron Gray?

Ole Dad

I do not know who is teaching you history, but here are the facts:

Bill Young coached for seven years from, 1981 until 1987, he had a overall record of 57-21.....73.1%.

But, his playoff record was 3-5, and he failed to make the playoffs in 1981, and 1986. In his last two years at Oak Ridge he was 12-10. Coach Young is a fine person and a good coach, but no one would survive those type of numbers at Oak Ridge.

Coach Gaddis overall record was 119-24....83.2% and won one State Championship, his leaving had nothing to do with wins or losses.

Coach Stevens is 18-7 in two years...72.0%

And if your willing to bet that Fulton and Catholic would be succesfull in 2-5A, you would lose that bet.

:thumb: Amen... B)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lussier left because he had his required time to retire from the state school system. Also his son who lived in Nashville had cancer and it just worked out for him with Father Ryan. Can you say double-dip.

Don't know about the children, my baby is 38 years old. But she went to Oak Ridge. And Ole Dad lives in Fla.

Race has nothing to do with the displeasure of Coach Stevens. Won Loss and other issues involving the team are the problems.AND a lot of the folks in town didn't want him as coach they wanted some else.

Oh and this is just my opinion. Can't speak for anyone else.

Bounder, now for some GOOD news. The wife's Christmas dinner is the weekend after the Bowl Games for a change so Lunch is ON!

Now we just have to pick a place and time.

Now one question to Oak Ridge folks. How much did Gulmire's broken thumb cost y'all this year? Would y'alls record have been better? I am really sorry he got hurt so early in the season as I admired the way he led y'alls team last year in the game against us. :o

I see in Tank's article in the paper today that Coach Stevens is ready to turn the program around and do whatever it takes. Toward that end he is meeting bi-weekly with his staff. Therein lies the major problem. Coach Stevens idea of committment is "we can meet twice a month for a couple of months" and that's a big effort on his part. The problem is that successful coaches at this level work year-round "daily" to be successful. Having an extra 20 hours a year in effort is nothing in the scheme of things. He needs to "buck up" if he wants to win and "sell out for the program". Also, he said the coaching staff will return in tact. He better be finding some competent coaches to fix the problems and focus on some extreme efforts if he wants to compete at this level. Just my opinion.

Ole Dad

Bounder, now for some GOOD news. The wife's Christmas dinner is the weekend after the Bowl Games for a change so Lunch is ON!

Now we just have to pick a place and time.

Now one question to Oak Ridge folks. How much did Gulmire's broken thumb cost y'all this year? Would y'alls record have been better? I am really sorry he got hurt so early in the season as I admired the way he led y'alls team last year in the game against us. :o

Edited by Ole Dad

Lost Old Dad I think we should meet at Toots , maybe around noon or 1:00 on sat of the 3,4 and 5A games. Nothing set in stone but not a bad place. Maybe take over the porch area as there will be quite a crowd of us. Looks like Tnbreakers ,Ole Dad and a few other whom will go unnamed at this time as it's nobodys business.

Just to clarify, he said as far as he knew, the staff would be back for the most part. It's mighty early in the game to know for sure. Opportunities may arise for coaches, offers could be extended, who knows what will happen until the season is completely over.

And I also think that while the bi-weekly meetings seemed a bit subpar in print, the feeling I got was that would be the official meetings, while work was going on continuously. Please don't think I am here singing praises or trying to make a situation look better than it is. I report. That's what I do, from people in official positions to report on. While I don't share the overall feelings of doom some have expressed on here, I do realize that there are problems. I also realize that I am not an authority on how to fix those said problems.

I see in Tank's article in the paper today that Coach Stevens is ready to turn the program around and do whatever it takes. Toward that end he is meeting bi-weekly with his staff. Therein lies the major problem. Coach Stevens idea of committment is "we can meet twice a month for a couple of months" and that's a big effort on his part. The problem is that successful coaches at this level work year-round "daily" to be successful. Having an extra 20 hours a year in effort is nothing in the scheme of things. He needs to "buck up" if he wants to win and "sell out for the program". Also, he said the coaching staff will return in tact. He better be finding some competent coaches to fix the problems and focus on some extreme efforts if he wants to compete at this level. Just my opinion.

Ole Dad

Lussier left because he had his required time to retire from the state school system. Also his son who lived in Nashville had cancer and it just worked out for him with Father Ryan. Can you say double-dip.

Don't know about the children, my baby is 38 years old. But she went to Oak Ridge. And Ole Dad lives in Fla.

Race has nothing to do with the displeasure of Coach Stevens. Won Loss and other issues involving the team are the problems.AND a lot of the folks in town didn't want him as coach they wanted some else.

Oh and this is just my opinion. Can't speak for anyone else.

I have kids who play at another school in the area, mainly because I live on a 45 acre farm with livestock about 10 minutes out of Oak Ridge. But, I supported the hiring of Stanton, and still hope he can be successfull here, which has been reflected in my posts. I do think there are issues to be addressed, but I think it's way too early to start talking about making a change.

Tank,

The next time you speak to Stevens ask him if he is still taking the time to coach other sports going forward or does he feel that focusing on a return to a "winning" football program will be his priority. I knew the previous coaching staffs over the past 30 years pretty well and I remember them working year-round and attending clinics and meeting and talking to college coaches regulary to gain new information and schemes. I hope we return to a laser focus on the task at hand either with this staff or one that will supply the necessary efforts to return OR football to Glory.

And by the way, I wasn't knocking the reporting.....just the facts that were delivered to you.

Ole Dad

Just to clarify, he said as far as he knew, the staff would be back for the most part. It's mighty early in the game to know for sure. Opportunities may arise for coaches, offers could be extended, who knows what will happen until the season is completely over.

And I also think that while the bi-weekly meetings seemed a bit subpar in print, the feeling I got was that would be the official meetings, while work was going on continuously. Please don't think I am here singing praises or trying to make a situation look better than it is. I report. That's what I do, from people in official positions to report on. While I don't share the overall feelings of doom some have expressed on here, I do realize that there are problems. I also realize that I am not an authority on how to fix those said problems.

Tn,

Yeah, me too. I sent my pointy hat to the cleaners though so I could post again. I think you are right about 4-5 coaches gone.

Ole Dad

I would guess at least 4 coaches, but what would I know, I cannot see through my white sheet and pointy hat~! :thumb: Give me a break.