ALL TIME GREATEST PLAYER IN TN

CHS 2007

Best TN High School football player while in high school: Troy Fleming

Best TN High School football player in high school, college, and NFL: Reggie White

Best TN High School football player total career: Steve Spurrier

I have to agree.

The greatest athlete overall might have been Steve Sloan (Steve Spurrier would be another) whose teams won state championships in football and basketball at Bradley Central in 1961-62 (their girls team also won the state championship that year). Sloan also played on the golf team that was runner-up 2 years while he was there.

Edited by Bighurt

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Richard Dent from TN, or did he just play at TSU?

A player who could have been among the greatest was Ralph Thompson from Hillwood. I think he graduated in '90. He won the 100M and 110M hurdles in the state track meet his senior year. He signed with UGA and I think played as a freshman, and was MVP of the spring game the following year...and then got into some trouble and never really contributed. Not sure exactly what happened to him...but he was a stud.

My brother and I had our picture taken with Ralph at picture day down in Athens when we were kids. Still have it. He was number 26 I believe. Wonder what happened to him.

I'll go ahead and throw out Ingle Martin from MBA 98-00. Parade All American. Played QB, DB, K, and P. 2 time Mr. Football.

I guess you two are Riverdale fans? Dennis Harrison is the best football player Riverdale has ever produced and has 136 NFL games under his belt to prove it.

Dennis Harrison

Position: DE/DT

Height: 6' 8'' Weight: 280

Born: 7/31/1956, in Cleveland, OH, USA

High School: Riverdale (Murfreesboro, TN)

College: Vanderbilt

Regular Season Stats

DEF INTS FUMBLES

Year AGE Team LG GP SK SFY INT YDS LNG TD TOT OWR OPR YDS TD

1978 22 PHI NFL 16 0.0 0 1 12 12 0 0 0 0 0 0

1979 23 PHI NFL 12 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1980 24 PHI NFL 15 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1981 25 PHI NFL 13 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0

1982 26 PHI NFL 9 10.5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0

1983 27 PHI NFL 16 11.5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 16 0

1984 28 PHI NFL 16 12.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0

1985 29 LAM NFL 12 3.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1986 30 ATL NFL 11 1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0

1986 30 SFO NFL 5 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

1987 31 ATL NFL 11 1.5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

10 NFL Season Totals 136 39.5 0 1 12 0 0 0 0 7 16 0

Edited by biglon68

In my opinion it could be none other than Reggie White. I think he is without a doubt the best player the state of Tennessee has ever had, and I don't think there is even a close second.

Best NFL defensive lineman ever: Reggie White

Best NFL offensive lineman ever: John Hannah

Both prepped in Chattanooga

Edited by Rabble Rouser

High School Only

You go with Troy Fleming and Ralph King at running backs

http://www.murphyfair.com/staterecords_rushing.html

Rushing Yards Career

Troy Fleming Battle Ground Academy 9,442 1995-1998

Rushing Touchdowns Career

Ralph King Riverdale 95 1998-2001 (48 in one season!)

Steve Spurrier was a pretty fair ball player at QB

And Doug Atkins went to UT on a basketball scholarship! http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=17

He was amazing in college and the NFL though!

Tennessee has three Hall of Famers in the NFL:

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/birthplace.jsp

No one has mentioned one of them B)

Edited by davidlimbaugh

Im suprised that no one here has brought up Longmire from Bruceton Central. He was a solid two-way player and could be played as both a Running Back and a Wide Reciever and is ranked in the top 50 nationally in several offensive categories. I'm also suprised no one brought up Patrick Turner. Although his stats weren't stacked like other recievers, he was always the guy you could give the ball to in clutch situations. He was also the #1 ranked prospect a few years ago and now is a solid 3rd reciever at USC behind Smith and Jarrett.

Patrick Turner had the size, speed, and ability but his stats weren't up there with the best. Not degrading his potential but he just wasn't used that much.

Unless someone else has won a USA TODAY National Defensive MVP like the Collins kid from Jeff County we are all only using up good oxygen to discuss this topic.

He may not have had a great college or NFL career but we are only taking about high school accomplishments.

Unless someone else has won a USA TODAY National Defensive MVP like the Collins kid from Jeff County we are all only using up good oxygen to discuss this topic.

He may not have had a great college or NFL career but we are only taking about high school accomplishments.

I agree. A group of friends and I were talking about this last night and we agreed he's the best at least in the last 20 years. He was just so imposing. Now many will say Albert Davis is the greatest ever. On tape he's the best I have seen. Jason Witten and Brandon Warren are just behind Todd Collins. You know Collins actually played 7 or 8 years in the NFL....enough to participate in the NFL pension which is fabulous.