William Blount @ Farragut - Round 2

FHS_Admiral

Come on Govman. You know better than to misquote me that way and to take it personally.

I re-read my post just to make sure, and I did not say that "we're all a bunch of losers" as you quoted me to have said. I said that there is a prevailing loser mentality (and I gave what I thought were supporting examples of that...something I learned there in the hallowed halls of WB at a time when I also did not think they were full of losers). Perhaps I should have said "victim mentality."

But either way, you should realize that I meant no personal insult to you or any of the fine individuals you named. This is a football board, and none of my comments unless otherwise noted should be taken out of the context of football. I wasn't talking about YL or the math department...just the attitude that I've seen and heard from the fans and how that is paralelled by some things with the team's leadership.

I've never had anything but kind words to say about you or about any of the people you pulled into the discussion. By the way, find me at the game Friday night and I'll apologize in person. I plan either to be at the UT basketball game or to be there pulling for the Govs.

Oh, my bad ... you said, "I just can't imagine WB being able to do that. They have such a loser mentality at that school from the top down with their constant whining about officiating and other teams fans, punching out or otherwise abusing opponents' fans, players and press box personnel, and planning to tear down goal posts before getting blown out." (anything misquoted there?) ...yeah, on second thought, I don't see why anyone associated with WB would be offended by that.

Edited by GovMan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, my bad ... you said, "I just can't imagine WB being able to do that. They have such a loser mentality at that school from the top down with their constant whining about officiating and other teams fans, punching out or otherwise abusing opponents' fans, players and press box personnel, and planning to tear down goal posts before getting blown out." (anything misquoted there?) ...yeah, on second thought, I don't see why anyone associated with WB would be offended by that.

haha...

Wow...and this is after I offered to apologize and tried to make it clear that I was just talking about football...

Wow...and this is after I offered to apologize and tried to make it clear that I was just talking about football...

OK, so you're just talking about "football". Are you saying our young men on the team "have a loser mentality?" Are you referring to the coaches? Do you want to label the entire program based on the actions of a small representation of fans? I'm not trying to misquote you or accuse you of anything you didn't say on here. Just WHO is it specifically that has the "loser mentality?"

You don't need to appologize to me. You chose to become a Maryville supporter and that is great. I have been and will be a William Blount supporter and when anyone gets on here and starts attacking WB (whether it be the school or just "football" ... I take offense. I think anyone from Maryville that is on here will attest to that.

You can take pride in Maryville's program and build them up and support them without having to resort to taking shots at WB. I'm very proud of Maryville. Great team, great coaches, great program. I cheer for them every football game they play, with the exception of one.

You stated your feelings, don't come back and try to turn the Old Govman into the bad guy.

OK, so you're just talking about "football". Are you saying our young men on the team "have a loser mentality?" Are you referring to the coaches? Do you want to label the entire program based on the actions of a small representation of fans? I'm not trying to misquote you or accuse you of anything you didn't say on here. Just WHO is it specifically that has the "loser mentality?"

You don't need to appologize to me. You chose to become a Maryville supporter and that is great. I have been and will be a William Blount supporter and when anyone gets on here and starts attacking WB (whether it be the school or just "football" ... I take offense. I think anyone from Maryville that is on here will attest to that.

You can take pride in Maryville's program and build them up and support them without having to resort to taking shots at WB. I'm very proud of Maryville. Great team, great coaches, great program. I cheer for them every football game they play, with the exception of one.

You stated your feelings, don't come back and try to turn the Old Govman into the bad guy.

I've thought too highly of you for too many years to try and turn you into a bad guy Govman.

I didn't mean this as an attack. It's just an observation. I don't mean to offend anyone, and I cheer for William Blount in every game of the year except for one. It was a higher calling that placed me at Maryville after high school. Over the years I've spent getting close to that school and those kids it only makes sense that I would become a supporter of their team. This does not mean that I wish ill toward WB.

If you read my post as if I'm just any other guy off the street with no sort of nostalgia or affection for WB whatsoever, then I guess you could take it the way you have. But you should know better than to read me that way, and I did say I was in the Govs' corner. I am a Gov fan. If I took a shot, it was clearly at Farragut. I said that it was my fear (not my hope or desire) that the loser mentality I've observed at WB would prevail. I also said that I may have misspoken and that I'd gladly change those words to victim mentality instead of loser mentality.

I've not had a relationship with any of the WB players this year, so I don't really know their attitudes. I do know what I've heard in the papers, on boards like this and from people within the shool. And I know that it leads me to think that at the top of that program there exists a mentality that I would label as a victim's mentality: Your coach told Maryville he'd never play us again. His dad punched out a guy. Some coaches got into a verbal dispute with fans. Head coach complained in the paper about officiating... I also know that the longest nail gets the hammer. Yours is about the only positive voice I've heard coming from WB this year...the rest have been angry, arrogant or making excuses. Consequently, I, and many others on the outside, conclude those to be the prevailing voice of the WB supporters. And yes I know that we all have our bad apples...

So, I take all of that...I take the fact that WB does not have a great tradition of success in the postseason past round 1...and I say that I fear that WB cannot overcome that as well as an equal and worthy opponent. That's what I meant to say in one post two days ago that is just now getting hashed out and explained.

And my apology to you is that I have clearly offended you, and I do strive to be above reproach. Maybe I've gotten calloused and thick-skinned in my support of the Rebels who are constantly under attack, or maybe what I said was really (although unintentionally) mean-spirited. Whatever the case may be, after hearing your response I know that I didn't intend it the way you took it.

I've thought too highly of you for too many years to try and turn you into a bad guy Govman.

I didn't mean this as an attack. It's just an observation. I don't mean to offend anyone, and I cheer for William Blount in every game of the year except for one. It was a higher calling that placed me at Maryville after high school. Over the years I've spent getting close to that school and those kids it only makes sense that I would become a supporter of their team. This does not mean that I wish ill toward WB.

If you read my post as if I'm just any other guy off the street with no sort of nostalgia or affection for WB whatsoever, then I guess you could take it the way you have. But you should know better than to read me that way, and I did say I was in the Govs' corner. I am a Gov fan. If I took a shot, it was clearly at Farragut. I said that it was my fear (not my hope or desire) that the loser mentality I've observed at WB would prevail. I also said that I may have misspoken and that I'd gladly change those words to victim mentality instead of loser mentality.

I've not had a relationship with any of the WB players this year, so I don't really know their attitudes. I do know what I've heard in the papers, on boards like this and from people within the shool. And I know that it leads me to think that at the top of that program there exists a mentality that I would label as a victim's mentality: Your coach told Maryville he'd never play us again. His dad punched out a guy. Some coaches got into a verbal dispute with fans. Head coach complained in the paper about officiating... I also know that the longest nail gets the hammer. Yours is about the only positive voice I've heard coming from WB this year...the rest have been angry, arrogant or making excuses. Consequently, I, and many others on the outside, conclude those to be the prevailing voice of the WB supporters. And yes I know that we all have our bad apples...

So, I take all of that...I take the fact that WB does not have a great tradition of success in the postseason past round 1...and I say that I fear that WB cannot overcome that as well as an equal and worthy opponent. That's what I meant to say in one post two days ago that is just now getting hashed out and explained.

And my apology to you is that I have clearly offended you, and I do strive to be above reproach. Maybe I've gotten calloused and thick-skinned in my support of the Rebels who are constantly under attack, or maybe what I said was really (although unintentionally) mean-spirited. Whatever the case may be, after hearing your response I know that I didn't intend it the way you took it.

Apology accepted-and extended--I'm obviously touchy about the subject. There are more "positive voices" at WB than just myself. Just remember--and I know you do--let's don't let the kids pay the price for the misguided actions of some adults affiliated with the program.

Believe it or not--there are a "few" adults associated with the Maryville program that I'm not real crazy about either, but there are many, many more (you included) that I consider great people and great friends.

And by the way, my oldest daughter (getting ready to graduate) considers your momma one of her greatest teachers of all time. My son (who has her now) just considers her the "hardest" teacher he's ever had. :D In a year or two and on down the road, he'll realize how much he appreciates her though.

We're good ... I know you're a "Gov" at heart and always will be. Keep influencing those kids.

Edited by GovMan