Suggestion for TSSAA

Solomon

I posted some info above about what was on the T$$AA 2004 tax return and everyone thinks it is OK to pay 13 staff members $367,753. Plus another $348,793 for their pension plans. And all that for 40 hours a week and they don't pay the $7. To get into the games if they even go. I would like the state to look into this organization and its perks, I think we the taxpayers could get more for the kids.

I my opinion any kid who can show a valid school ID should be able to get into a game for free. But no the T$$AA needs err...wants the money. I’m told in 2002 the governor's salary was only $85,000 or about 36K less than Mr. Carter or the T$$AA.

Are you sure of these numbers? That only leaves about #21,000 a year for the other 12 employees.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure of these numbers? That only leaves about #21,000 a year for the other 12 employees.

Well Coach I'm no math wizard, but the 2004 tax return is on line and you can view it for yourself. My math tells me the average per employee is about wage 55K per year with the head guy getting about 130K as reported to the IRS. This does not include pension plans and other covered expenses. I just think the organization whom I believe are doing an OK job, should consider giving something back to the kids. Charging a student to watch their own taxpayer funded high school football team $5-7-10 is out of touch and wrong in my opinion.

I have a son at UT and he gets a ticket to the home games for free, if a money hungry program like the Vol's have can do it, why can't the high schools do it?

Well Coach I'm no math wizard, but the 2004 tax return is on line and you can view it for yourself. My math tells me the average per employee is about wage 55K per year with the head guy getting about 130K as reported to the IRS. This does not include pension plans and other covered expenses. I just think the organization whom I believe are doing an OK job, should consider giving something back to the kids. Charging a student to watch their own taxpayer funded high school football team $5-7-10 is out of touch and wrong in my opinion.

I have a son at UT and he gets a ticket to the home games for free, if a money hungry program like the Vol's have can do it, why can't the high schools do it?

UT students also pay for that ticket in their tuition. High schoool students should have to pay to get into games. Gate money is what helps support athletic programs. I would charge less for students though. I know at Ooltewah the students can purchase tickets early for $1 less than the regular price.

Edited by ImaOWL

UT students also pay for that ticket in their tuition. High schoool students should have to pay to get into games. Gate money is what helps support athletic programs. I would charge less for students though. I know at Ooltewah the students and purchase tickets early for a $1 less than the regular price.

UT students "pay" for their tickets through the student activities fee. It includes all athletic sporting events, plus every other student activity possible on campus. A per game breakdown does not even come close to the $44 face value for tickets.

And Coacht - that is exactly why I started this thread. I hope all who read this and agree with it talk to their schools about dropping ticket prices for students. 21st century grass roots activism at its finest. :thumb:

UT students "pay" for their tickets through the student activities fee. It includes all athletic sporting events, plus every other student activity possible on campus. A per game breakdown does not even come close to the $44 face value for tickets.

And Coacht - that is exactly why I started this thread. I hope all who read this and agree with it talk to their schools about dropping ticket prices for students. 21st century grass roots activism at its finest. :lol:

Yes, I know there are alot of things in those fees's at UT. But I think we can agree that $7 is too high for students to pay. I see nothing wrong with trying to lower the cost to the student and try to get more kids to the game to support the team.

During th play offs the the ticket is $7. and the two schools get 25% of that for some direct costs like travel and paint on the field ect.. Thats $1.75 per ticket. The T$$AA gets $3.50 per ticket and 100% of the program sales at the games.

Lets see if 500 people show up for the game thats $1750 the T$$AA get's just to pay the officals who make $80.00 plus travel each. That works out to be maybe $100. per zebra for that contest. I think there are 11 paid Officials, 7 on the field and a colck operator. I think during the play-offs the chain gang is paid for, but I am not sure about how many officals get paid. But if 11 are paid that would be $1100.00 for the Officials and $650. for the T$$AA. The officals should be paid well IMO because we want te best on the field.

I know there are smaller schools at the 2-1A levels where the gate maybe only 3-500 people in attendence, but at a school like Maryville playing Rhea Co this Friday, the crowd could be 2-3000 paying customers, or more then the T$$AA would pocket over $10,000.00. after expences. Let's see at 4A this week alone, if all schools drew only 2000 paying fans each during the 8 play-off games this Friday for only the 2nd round that is $56,000. the T$$AA would pocket. Let's not even add the other 32 games being played this week at the other classes.

Yea that is fair for one week of supervision! Besides golf and hotels in Destin, Fl is not cheap during those winter meetings! Nothing but the best for our kids.

As far as the pay that the officials receive for playoff games, it goes as follows: 5 officials on the field plus an ECO, regular game fee of $80 and $50 for the ECO. Only one person gets the travel allowance and if they travel in one vehicle that is usually paid to the person that drives. If it takes two or more vehicles, then each driver would receive part of it. The referee is usually paid the travel and he pays the driver or drivers. The chain crew, if furnished by the local association, is paid $15 per person and no travel. That is paid through the local association and reimbursed by the TSSAA. Just thought that I would set the record straight.

Yes, I know there are alot of things in those fees's at UT. But I think we can agree that $7 is too high for students to pay. I see nothing wrong with trying to lower the cost to the student and try to get more kids to the game to support the team.

During th play offs the the ticket is $7. and the two schools get 25% of that for some direct costs like travel and paint on the field ect.. Thats $1.75 per ticket. The T$$AA gets $3.50 per ticket and 100% of the program sales at the games.

Lets see if 500 people show up for the game thats $1750 the T$$AA get's just to pay the officals who make $80.00 plus travel each. That works out to be maybe $100. per zebra for that contest. I think there are 11 paid Officials, 7 on the field and a colck operator. I think during the play-offs the chain gang is paid for, but I am not sure about how many officals get paid. But if 11 are paid that would be $1100.00 for the Officials and $650. for the T$$AA. The officals should be paid well IMO because we want te best on the field.

I know there are smaller schools at the 2-1A levels where the gate maybe only 3-500 people in attendence, but at a school like Maryville playing Rhea Co this Friday, the crowd could be 2-3000 paying customers, or more then the T$$AA would pocket over $10,000.00. after expences. Let's see at 4A this week alone, if all schools drew only 2000 paying fans each during the 8 play-off games this Friday for only the 2nd round that is $56,000. the T$$AA would pocket. Let's not even add the other 32 games being played this week at the other classes.

Yea that is fair for one week of supervision! Besides golf and hotels in Destin, Fl is not cheap during those winter meetings! Nothing but the best for our kids.

How about trying this it may work for people you know. Everyone pitch in and get enough money to send 1 friend to to the game. they can text message$$ and or call (cell phone$$) other friends to how the game is going then they can send internet e-mails$$ to everyone else. then after the game they can get together in their cars$$ with 2.10 a gallon gas$$ and go eat$$ somewhere and talk about how the game went. Or they could rake a yard or wash a car and all go together. Come on give us a break.

How about trying this it may work for people you know. Everyone pitch in and get enough money to send 1 friend to to the game. they can text message$$ and or call (cell phone$$) other friends to how the game is going then they can send internet e-mails$$ to everyone else. then after the game they can get together in their cars$$ with 2.10 a gallon gas$$ and go eat$$ somewhere and talk about how the game went. Or they could rake a yard or wash a car and all go together. Come on give us a break.

But but but but... What could we cry about then? Dang those people who make all that big money. We should become Communist so we'd all be the same.

But but but but... What could we cry about then? Dang those people who make all that big money. We should become Communist so we'd all be the same.

Nope, I just want the official group for high school sports in TN, and a tax-exempt entity by the way, to do what they state in their Constitution.

Section 2 and 3 of Article 1:

Section 2. The purposes of the corporation shall be as stated in the Charter of Incorporation and, in addition, to stimulate and regulate interscholastic athletic competition among the member schools in accordance with the standards established by those schools in the TSSAA Bylaws.

Section 3. The mission of the TSSAA is to serve its members by providing leadership and coordination for the administration of interscholastic athletics, which will enhance the educational experiences of students. The TSSAA will promote participation and sportsmanship to develop good citizens through interscholastic athletics, which provide equitable opportunities, positive recognition and learning experiences to students while maximizing the achievement of educational goals.