Smith County @ Westmoreland

Stark1

Well I would call it that since well the team in 2000 only made it to 2nd round and lost to Polk Co. wasnt it? and in 95 it was a one man Team, Clint Brown, we all know it was. the team philosphy was to give him the ball, and let him make plays.This year, is the better team since it is actually more of a team?!?! instead of a one man show and, or only making it to the 2nd round. I mean Westmoreland does have 15 seniors this year, the most they've ever had. :D

In 2000 Westmoreland lost to Goodpasture by 1 point in the regular season and David Lipscomb by 6 in the regular season. They then went to upset the #3 team in the state (Tyner) in the first round and then lose to Goodpasture by 8. A number of records in the record book are set by players who played in 2000. Any of the guys on the team this year who actually seen the team from 2000 play would admit that they were pretty good.

If you are an actual Westmoreland fan, there is no way that you can say that the team of 1995 is not the best Westmoreland has ever had, and more than likely the best we ever will have. Yes, Clint Brown did win Mr. Football two years in a row, but a lot of that had to do with guys like Derek Bandy, Nicky Booker, and another Mr. Football winner Corey Dobbs blocking for him. They also had a heck of a passing game that no one could stop, therefore no one could focus on the run. They started seniors at every position but two...on both sides of the ball. They also beat the eventual state champs in week 1 of the season, pretty convincingly. Some sloppy play and a questionable onside kick recovery ended their season at Meigs County in the fourth round of the playoffs.

There is nothing to take away from this year's team. They are a really good one. And this is probably one of the most exciting seasons that Westmoreland has ever experienced. But to say they are the best ever, I'm not so sure.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boobi (or whoever said it),

This Westmoreland team doesn't touch the Westmoreland teams from the mid90s. I played against them. They were stacked up. If they wouldn't have had Clint Brown, they'd have likely gone just as far. Their quarterback was an outstanding athlete too (but not the only one), and they had a great defense. There were lots of very good athletes who might have been stars on other teams. Brown just pushed them over the top and made them a state championship contender that year.

But those guys are long gone. One will never know who the best team is.

Regardless, this Westmoreland team has a chance to advance one round further. However, it's hard to see that they've improved since week 8. It seems that Smith County has.

Who's the favorite? Who knows. Smith County seems to be playing better. Westmoreland won the first one.

It should be a great atmosphere for high school football on Friday night in Westmoreland.

Good luck and safe travel to all.

In 2000 Westmoreland lost to Goodpasture by 1 point in the regular season and David Lipscomb by 6 in the regular season. They then went to upset the #3 team in the state (Tyner) in the first round and then lose to Goodpasture by 8. A number of records in the record book are set by players who played in 2000. Any of the guys on the team this year who actually seen the team from 2000 play would admit that they were pretty good.

If you are an actual Westmoreland fan, there is no way that you can say that the team of 1995 is not the best Westmoreland has ever had, and more than likely the best we ever will have. Yes, Clint Brown did win Mr. Football two years in a row, but a lot of that had to do with guys like Derek Bandy, Nicky Booker, and another Mr. Football winner Corey Dobbs blocking for him. They also had a heck of a passing game that no one could stop, therefore no one could focus on the run. They started seniors at every position but two...on both sides of the ball. They also beat the eventual state champs in week 1 of the season, pretty convincingly. Some sloppy play and a questionable onside kick recovery ended their season at Meigs County in the fourth round of the playoffs.

There is nothing to take away from this year's team. They are a really good one. And this is probably one of the most exciting seasons that Westmoreland has ever experienced. But to say they are the best ever, I'm not so sure.

I'm from Smith County and graduated in 95. Westmoreland had a great program in general in the 90's. A very tough and hardnosed team back in the day. Westmoreland today is a good program as well, but is tough to compare to the teams of 94 and 95. Congrats on winning the region but the new season has started and I can't see you beating us twice in the same year. Smith County also had some tough teams in the early 90's but lacked something other than talent if you know what I mean. Can't really compare them to todays team either. I hope its good football weather come friday night. How is the field up there? Has it been torn up with the home games in the playoffs?

I have been to every football game in the past 20 + years. There have been 2 teams that have been to the semi-finals 77' & 86'. So until someone makes it to the finals these are the best 2 teams ever regardless of stats & stars.

i do believe the 95 team was put out in the third round if i'm not mistaken. they were awesome though, probly better than this team but not by much.