Football Stadiums

VolunteerGeneral

Since this seems like a true football fan's thread.........................................

Camden's old high school was one block south of the court square. Part of the old building remains. When the new high school was built (currently the Camden Jr. High School) from 1958-60, there was much discussion as to whether to build a football stadium at the new high school or continue playing football at the city park field (currently the CHS baseball field). Several of the county commissioners were against spending additional money to build a new stadium and field simply because they didn't think the money should be used for football. The vote was close. It went something like this: There were 12 for and 12 against prior to the vote. A group of parents and businessmen got together and went to one of the county board members who was against the vote, and told him that they were really disappointed that he was against the motion because they had wanted to name the field after him. He switched his vote in favor of the field. The new field was leveled by the bulldozers and a concrete structure was built for seating. The total cost was $20,000. The field was named "Wright Field" after the county commissioner who voted on the 13-11 winning side of the motion. The group of parents started calling themselves the Camden Quarterback Club, and have supported the Lions ever since.

*****I can remember when Paul Ward was the head coach at Huntingdon. He was one of the greatest high school coaches I have ever seen. Now days, some of the colleges would probably try to hire a coach like him.

Hey, I have some memories of playing on that old field in Camden too!!!! That was back when the McKelvy brothers were there and Cliff Allen. I work with Cliff now.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Springfield's is named after Boyce Smith, greatest coach ever at Springfield and probally the greatest coach until the end of the world in Springfield. He is ranked 4th in the state as all-time winningest coach with 288 victories from 1928-1972 (288-116-34 .696), he also made the ripley's believe it or not Touchdown a Minute in 1930, the team average a touchdown a minute back in 1930.

Tom Davis Memorial Stadium, home of the 2005 3A State Champion Livingston Academy Wildcats, was named after the first American soldier to be killed in the Vietnam war. Tom was a graduate of LA. A very well deserved honor I would say! I had the opportunity to visit the Vietnam Memorial in D.C. a couple of years ago and had to fight back the tears when I saw his name at the top of the list on the wall.

Edited by OldCatFan

Tom Davis Memorial Stadium, home of the 2005 3A State Champion Livingston Academy Wildcats, was named after the first American soldier to be killed in the Vietnam war. Tom was a graduate of LA. A very well deserved honor I would say! I had the opportunity to visit the Vietnam Memorial in D.C. a couple of years ago and had to fight back the tears when I saw his name at the top of the list on the wall.

I was there too OldCatFan in '91, very emotional time for me too being Tom's sister married some of my kinfolk..It is a very well deserved honor!!

I graduated from Cleveland High School> The Stadium at Cleveland is BENNY MONROE STADIUM. Named after Ooltewah's coach. I am a big Ooltewah fan now because of Coach Monroe. Funny thing is Benny Monroe does not coach at BENNY MONROE STADIUM. He coaches at JAMES MONROE STADIUM.I do know that when Benny wanted to come out of retirement, the job at Cleveland was open. They made him apply. That is like making Spurrier reapply at Florida. I also know Rankin from Riverdale applied too. Neither were chosen. The principal said they were "wanting to go in a different direction" :D Glad he is at Ooltewah now theyll keep going in the right direction :thumb: Rankin seems to go in that same direction as well :) Just hate it for my Blue Raiders. At least they did make the playoffs this year. Better than last year. :(

Edited by lovehsfootball