Maryville vs Mo-town West (again!)

Past30

I have no dog in this race.

The bottom line is how many State Title's has Maryville won and how many has West won.

Maryville has lost as many title games as West has played in.

So until you have a Gold Ball in the Trophey case you are like the rest of the football teams on I81 and eastward a big fish in a little pond.

I attribute Maryville's success to their fine head coach. He is a great instructor of the game, and his players respond well to him. If they ever lose him, I think Maryville will be joining the other fish in the small pond...lol

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has nothing to do with the game. Are Burke-Tarr and Burke-Toney named after the same Burke? I know Burke-Toney has been there quite awhile.

Yes, I think it was Jim Burke from Morristown. Lived where the old Quincy's was. I think he was in politics also. Think the 11e bridge going over the Holston river in Knox co. is named after him also(old suspension bridge that was torn down)

Troho, nobody likes you.

It will be a close game.

ksetrojan i am sorry, but when people start posting erroneous facts (ie west beat maryville 2 times in TEN years, when its half that) i will correct them....if that makes me unliked....so be it. I compliment their coach, because i sincerely think he is a GREAT coach, and I get back "we won championships b4 GQ ever got here"...i will respond....i think GQ deserves alot of praise, as any head coach should...and i stand by the fact he deserves alot of the credit for their success.

hmmmm......Morristown has a population of about 26,000....Maryville has a population of about 25,000

I HAVE AN IDEA! let's split Maryville HS into 2 separate high schools and see how may state championships...no wait.....semi-finals they can get to! LOL

hmm, maryville has 3 other high schools in their county and two of them are 5a. its sad that ur just trying to come up with more excuses to make youself feel better about gettin embarrassed on the field. you have no idea what you are talking about. just because mowest gets outcoached, outclassed, and outplayed, doesnt mean you have to whine about it and come up with ridiculous excuses with nothing to back them up.

hmm, maryville has 3 other high schools in their county and two of them are 5a. its sad that ur just trying to come up with more excuses to make youself feel better about gettin embarrassed on the field. you have no idea what you are talking about. just because mowest gets outcoached, outclassed, and outplayed, doesnt mean you have to whine about it and come up with ridiculous excuses with nothing to back them up.

hmmm.....i decided to delete that post because i only meant it as a joke....but since u responded....i said MARYVILLE has a population around the same as Morristown, not all of Blount County...but anyway, i was not making excuses because the game has not been played yet. As i said in a previous post, best of luck to both teams. If Maryville wins, I will pull for them in the state championship as I have in the past, because I support East TN teams.

If Maryville takes care of the ball, they win. West will make turnovers hurt more than most. West is well coached as is Maryville. The challenge will be if Maryville can stop West's running game, and if West can slow down Maryville's overall offensive game. I truly believe that the only team that can beat Maryville is Maryville itself. But, that's why they play the game. West has had more success than anyone else against the Rebs. It will come down to big plays and special teams.

If Maryville takes care of the ball, they win. West will make turnovers hurt more than most. West is well coached as is Maryville. The challenge will be if Maryville can stop West's running game, and if West can slow down Maryville's overall offensive game. I truly believe that the only team that can beat Maryville is Maryville itself. But, that's why they play the game. West has had more success than anyone else against the Rebs. It will come down to big plays and special teams.

well said I40, and I agree. With most teams, West is able to wear them down with their depth. This is not the case with Maryville. I found this out a year ago. West will need some breaks, and they will need to play the best game of their season. I have the upmost respect for Maryville (I have made jokes in previous posts, but pls understand that is aimed at conceited and/or ignorant Maryville fans that have posted b4 me). I hope it is a good game, and congrats in advance to the winner.

Morristown West beat Maryville twice the past 5 years, not 10 (if you want folks to believe you are a sports analyst, you might want to get your facts straight). And both times, Maryville fans had to come up with some excuse why they lost, rather than just accept they got beat. In 2001, they said it was because of the 9/11 distraction, as if Morristown West is less patriotic somehow. And now I hear they lost the semi in 2003 because THEY played their worse game? I guess that kind of mentality comes with winning so many games. Anyway, best of luck to both teams...it is a great accomplishment to make it this far.

Ok here is some info for you. Past ten years Morristown W has played Maryville 10 times.

96 54-28 Maryville

01 31-24 MW

02 49-7 Maryville

02P 28-10 Maryville

03 14-6 Maryville

03P 14-17 MW

04 38-0 Maryville

05 28-0 Maryville

So looking at some of the facts the past 10 years Maryville is 8-2 vs. MWest and the points scored is 249 or 24.9 for MHS and 99 or 9.9 for MW over the past ten year period. Yes that is all history except this group of seniors is 2-1 vs MW and the scores have been 80-17 for the three games. Since the loss to Morristown when these seniors were standing on the sidelines MW has not even scored on this current group of players. Think that is a factor? I do in terms of mental state. Yes they are all kids and that makes it even more of a mental thing.

On Sep 22 Knotz West played MW pretty tough at Burk-Tony (Sp) but lost 24-19. Knotz West had more yards on O but also had 2 Int. and I think 3 fumbles but MW beat them. Maryville soundly beat Knotz West 49-12 and also last night pounded a Red Bank team on their home field 38-14 where just one week prior Red Bank beat the same Knotz West team by a score of 28-12. Yes that is also history, but it is very recent history and enough information for this student of the game to think Maryville might blow Morristown West off the field.

True there is the preverbal "Any Given" day thing and the "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile thing too" But I would want more to go on than that wouldn’t you?

Ok here is some info for you. Past ten years Morristown W has played Maryville 10 times.

96 54-28 Maryville

01 31-24 MW

02 49-7 Maryville

02P 28-10 Maryville

03 14-6 Maryville

03P 14-17 MW

04 38-0 Maryville

05 28-0 Maryville

So looking at some of the facts the past 10 years Maryville is 8-2 vs. MWest and the points scored is 249 or 24.9 for MHS and 99 or 9.9 for MW over the past ten year period. Yes that is all history except this group of seniors is 2-1 vs MW and the scores have been 80-17 for the three games. Since the loss to Morristown when these seniors were standing on the sidelines MW has not even scored on this current group of players. Think that is a factor? I do in terms of mental state. Yes they are all kids and that makes it even more of a mental thing.

On Sep 22 Knotz West played MW pretty tough at Burk-Tony (Sp) but lost 24-19. Knotz West had more yards on O but also had 2 Int. and I think 3 fumbles but MW beat them. Maryville soundly beat Knotz West 49-12 and also last night pounded a Red Bank team on their home field 38-14 where just one week prior Red Bank beat the same Knotz West team by a score of 28-12. Yes that is also history, but it is very recent history and enough information for this student of the game to think Maryville might blow Morristown West off the field.

True there is the preverbal "Any Given" day thing and the "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and awhile thing too" But I would want more to go on than that wouldn’t you?

My apologies, but I thought you were indicating they had played each other ALL 10 years, which obviously was not the case (as in they did not play each other in 97,98,99, or 2000)....and in 96 West was pretty much a mediocre team at best.

Oh, and since you are going by recent history....i did not see you mention they beat a 4-6 Brainerd team by only 4 points (which Red bank beat 77-8)....see, don't go by scores and stats to predict the outcome of a game....

Edited by troho