Maryville vs Mo-town West (again!)

Past30

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real champions show good sportmanship whether they win or lose.

Your multiple factors excuse theory make you sound like a sore loser.

Not a sore loser at all. I'm just am a guy who understands what could have been. Kind of like seeing a cute young lady when your 16 and she does not know how great a guy you really are. If you ever take the time to watch ESPN or another sports event, you'll notice that sometimes the losing coach will try to explain what happened and talk about the factors that he thinks transpired to cause him to lose the game, even when he believes he had the best team. The best team does not always win; just ask the New York Yankees or Manning's Indy Colts, maybe you heard of them. The rebels shot themselves in the foot in 03 a great deal like MW did in the state game that year vs. Hillsboro. Because of those mistakes the Trojans lost by a mere 21 points and failed to bring the gold ball back to their school. They should have been state champions that year, they had the team. Hillsboro took advantage of a one dimensional team and a few mistakes MW committed. I thought they were the best team in that game and said it here.

Also take note the field is in just OK shape and it will be really, really cold Friday night, but the game will be played anyway starting Friday night at 7 PM. Maryville won't move it or play Sat afternoon for any excuse. $450K for turf! Wow what a waste of taxpayer money! For that kind of cash they could re-sod the field twice a season for the next 10-12 years!

My main point is if Maryville does not give MW any opportunities, the Trojans will not win. I don't think they are a good enough team to Score "Enough" points to match Maryville and make their own opportunities vs. this Defense. If we were talking about last years D I don't think MW would score!

I have a question for you; what do you know about how real champions show sportsmanship?

Look for me I'll be the guy with the Rebel hat on.

Edited by FBEmeritus

the guy with the rebel hat on..... 2f9d. your a funny man. there were factors that year you coulds say, FBE, but when it comes down to it you cant take away from us, we played hard, all out. our d showed up big time and our O got it done. that was an awesome game. i'm glad i played in it. i give rouse a hard time every day for it at CN! HAHA. anyways, cant wait for the game.

Not a sore loser at all. I'm just am a guy who understands what could have been. Kind of like seeing a cute young lady when your 16 and she does not know how great a guy you really are. If you ever take the time to watch ESPN or another sports event, you'll notice that sometimes the losing coach will try to explain what happened and talk about the factors that he thinks transpired to cause him to lose the game, even when he believes he had the best team. The best team does not always win; just ask the New York Yankees or Manning's Indy Colts, maybe you heard of them. The rebels shot themselves in the foot in 03 a great deal like MW did in the state game that year vs. Hillsboro. Because of those mistakes the Trojans lost by a mere 21 points and failed to bring the gold ball back to their school. They should have been state champions that year, they had the team. Hillsboro took advantage of a one dimensional team and a few mistakes MW committed. I thought they were the best team in that game and said it here.

Also take note the field is in just OK shape and it will be really, really cold Friday night, but the game will be played anyway starting Friday night at 7 PM. Maryville won't move it or play Sat afternoon for any excuse. $450K for turf! Wow what a waste of taxpayer money! For that kind of cash they could re-sod the field twice a season for the next 10-12 years!

My main point is if Maryville does not give MW any opportunities, the Trojans will not win. I don't think they are a good enough team to Score "Enough" points to match Maryville and make their own opportunities vs. this Defense. If we were talking about last years D I don't think MW would score!

I have a question for you; what do you know about how real champions show sportsmanship?

Just a couple of facts:

1. According to weather.com The predicted high in Maryville for Friday is 64 with a low of 40 (I don't consider that really, really cold).

2. The turf field will SAVE Hamblen County money in the long run. An estimated $200,000 has been spent on that field in the last 3-4 years just so it could be a mud pit.

I am sorry you have such disdain for Morristown West. I guess if we had won 94 out of our last 96 games (or whatever it is) that would have been good enough for us. All you guys have to do is keep winning and De La Salle's streak will be yours.

God Bless.

Edited by cuz

Not a sore loser at all. Because of those mistakes the Trojans lost by a mere 21 points and failed to bring the gold ball back to their school. They should have been state champions that year, they had the team. Hillsboro took advantage of a one dimensional team and a few mistakes MW committed. I thought they were the best team in that game and said it here.

I'll answer your question for you - I may not know how a "real champion" shows sportsmanship but I (along with most of the Trojan faithful) know how to accept defeat with grace and class, for that is one of the things the MW program teaches. Having some friends and colleagues from Maryville, I can be sure I was one of the first to congratulate them on their win last year - even going to the visitors side immediately after the game to do so.

Courtesy of wikipedia (edited slightly for length):

Sportsmanship is, in a basic sense, conforming to the rules of sport. More grandly it may be considered the ethos of sport. It is interesting that the motivation for sport is often an elusive element. However, it often emerges that skills are honed to increase performance and achievements in competition, rather than the converse.

Sportsmanship expresses an aspiration or ethos that the activity will be enjoyed for its own sake, with proper consideration for fairness and ethics and respect and fellowship for one's competitors.

Often the pressures of competition, individual achievement, or introduction of technology can seem to work against enjoyment by participants.

Poor sportsmanship is the converse of good sportsmanship.

Poor sportsmanship can either be the winners "rubbing salt in the wounds" of the losers.

Another example of poor sportsmanship failing to congratulate the winners.

Some stats as presented by PrepExtra for both teams:

First Downs: MW 134 M 151

Total Yards: MW 3111 M 3190

Offense

(Plays / Avg Yards) MW 401 / 7.8 M 409 / 7.8

Rushing

(Plays / Avg Yards) MW 313 / 7.7 M 263 / 5.6

Passing

(Comp/Att/Int/Avg) MW 48/88/2/8.0 M 106/146/2/11.7

Sacks MW 25 M 7

Touchdowns MW 47 M 50

(Rush/Pass/Def) MW 34/10/3 M 27/18/5

PPG Scored MW 38.5 M 38.5

Points Allowed/Game MW 9.2 M 12

West has rushed for 932 more yards than Maryville

Maryville has passed for 1011 more yards than West

Another web site predicts the score to be Maryville 31 West 19

I feel West will give Maryville a game and if we are able to make some breaks we can pull out the win. However, it is hard (read impossible) to argue with success and Maryville is certainly successful. West will be able to handle Maryville's running game and if we can minimize the passing game, then we will be in the game.

I will not make a prediction (I feel either team can win and believe it is too close to call), but do not see the above score happening if we are able to play our game.

im an upperclassmen student, so i have a somewhat reserved seat in the student section, and i get there no later than 550...as just a fan, i would get there no later than 515 if you want a choice seat, and not have to stand the majority of the time...

i appreciate that, i will be there rooting on the mighty rebels of Maryville!!! GO REBELS!!!

Another example of poor sportsmanship failing to congratulate the winners.

Sometimes extended success breeds smugness (definition: annoying self-satisfaction). Smugness does not allow you to see that the other team beat you and you have to find excuses for the loss.

There is no doubt there are always reasons, and sometimes you are your own worst opponent. However, the team you are playing has to be good enough to take advantage of your mistakes. That in and of itself makes them the better team that day. In the playoffs--all that matters is that day.

It is true that the 2003 team did not play their best game in the championship (the win over Maryville seemed to take all the emotion out of the team), but I can say the best team on that day won. If we played best two out of three perhaps we would have won the other two, but that is not how the game is played. As has been atttibuted to John Majors: if ands and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a Merry Christams. What happened, happened and no amount of reasons will change the outcome. West won the game and went to the ship, end of story.

I am hoping for a similar outcome come Friday!!

Edited by leectn

FBEMeritus

I like you but MOWest beat Maryville fair and square in the 2003 playoffs and the regular season 2001 game. They were not flukes. In the 2003 playoff game MOWest's defensive line dominated the Maryville offensive line. Maryville had no answer for Brandon Fanney. Maryville had 6 turnovers. Almost all of them were forced by MOWest's great defense. Besides the last 2 Melrose teams. That MOWest team in 2003 had the best defense a George Quarles team has seen. That loss in 2003 motivated the Rebels to win the state title the next few years.

The loss in 2001 wasn't a fluke either. The fluke was how in the hack did that MOWest team lose to Cocke County? I still think the 2001 MOWest team was the best MOWest team I saw. They were good on offense and defense. In the regular season MOWest whipped Maryville. They ran that tailback down Maryville's throat.They also had a good quarterback,receiver and tight end. MOWest earned my respect big time that day. After that loss in 2001 the Maryville team got better and made a run that would be hard to top. I still say that I never saw a Maryville team play better than what Maryville did between the Powell game of 2001 to the MOWest regular season game in 2002. They were like a machine during that period. They whipped 3 darn good teams in 2001 in Red Bank,MOWest and Hillsboro.

I love Maryville to death. But! I truly believed if Maryville could have beaten MOWest in the 2003 semifinals. Hillsboro would have beaten Maryville. Maryville wasn't near as good up front as the teams of 2001,2002,2004,2005 and 2006. Hillsboro would have pushed Maryville around big time. I still think Maryville would have scored some points on Hillsboro. I just don't think Maryville would have been able to stop the Hillsboro running game. The 2003 team overachieved big time.