Alcoa vs Smith County

clintabbott

If SC plays their best game...it will definitely be closer than your 1st...2nd...and 3rd round games. How's that? :D

Antwan I have a question. I remember Coach Mainard when I lived in the Boro. I had a college kid who did an internship for me in 93 and he loved playing for him....he started at LB on the first couple of teams Gary had at Riverdale. Anyway, my question is: did he go to Riverdale with Gary from Smith County? Also, whatever happened to Scott Dirkson? I remember him at MTSU and I could never figure out why he didn't pan out. He had a great look about him. Thanks....and I am one Alcoa fan who has been to a Smith County game. I love your town and the "hole." I know Scotty Yeaman. The folks in Smith County really know their football and I think the folks in Alcoa have a lot in common, especially in their love of high school football. Anyway, Gary had a heck of a staff at Riverdale, especially in the early years. Ron Crawford was my neighbor as that is another assistant who has gone on to much success at Brentwood High.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Antwan I have a question. I remember Coach Mainard when I lived in the Boro. I had a college kid who did an internship for me in 93 and he loved playing for him....he started at LB on the first couple of teams Gary had at Riverdale. Anyway, my question is: did he go to Riverdale with Gary from Smith County? Also, whatever happened to Scott Dirkson? I remember him at MTSU and I could never figure out why he didn't pan out. He had a great look about him. Thanks....and I am one Alcoa fan who has been to a Smith County game. I love your town and the "hole." I know Scotty Yeaman. The folks in Smith County really know their football and I think the folks in Alcoa have a lot in common, especially in their love of high school football. Anyway, Gary had a heck of a staff at Riverdale, especially in the early years. Ron Crawford was my neighbor as that is another assistant who has gone on to much success at Brentwood High.

No...at least I don't remember anyone from here going to Riverdale. I think I would probably remember that.

Scott is doing quite well from what I hear. He graduated from MTSU. He does not live here. Maybe someone else can tell you where he lives.

Thanks for the compliments. If you haven't been to a game here in the last couple of years...you won't recognize the place. Coach Maynord...and his staff...have done a great job upgrading our facilities.

Ron Crawford was almost our head coach too. He would have been a great one...obviously.

No...at least I don't remember anyone from here going to Riverdale. I think I would probably remember that.

Scott is doing quite well from what I hear. He graduated from MTSU. He does not live here. Maybe someone else can tell you where he lives.

Thanks for the compliments. If you haven't been to a game here in the last couple of years...you won't recognize the place. Coach Maynord...and his staff...have done a great job upgrading our facilities.

Ron Crawford was almost our head coach too. He would have been a great one...obviously.

That's interesting....so Maynord isn't from Carthage? My memory is bad I guess but I don't remember him being on the staff at Riverdale prior to Gary arriving but I'm sure I'm wrong. I don't know if I will make it to the game as I live in the Tri Cities. I would love to see the town.

Maynord was the head coach at White County when Rankin was the head coach at Smith County. They both went to Riverdale that year, and Maynord was hired to be his defensive coordinator. Curious as to who that linebacker was? I remember watching the Warriors play when he coached there. There was a slu of good linebackers. Crawford is an exceptional coach.

Edited by I Love HS Football

That's interesting....so Maynord isn't from Carthage? My memory is bad I guess but I don't remember him being on the staff at Riverdale prior to Gary arriving but I'm sure I'm wrong. I don't know if I will make it to the game as I live in the Tri Cities. I would love to see the town.

Maynord is from Livingston. He played for Livingston Academy. I think he was at Riverdale from '90 - 94.

Edited by Antwan

I'm looking forward to the trip down, and, sorry, but I don't want the game to be close! We had 3 close ones this year, and I really don't want another one!

From everything we've heard about Smith County, it sounds like ya'll have some great high school football fans. Should be an exciting atmosphere!

There should be a good crowd...especially for a 2a game. It should be a great atmosphere. How many fans will Alcoa bring?

Edited by Antwan

Not sure, but, at the away games we fill up the visitors' stands. A couple of years ago, at David Lipscomb, I could've sworn the stands were bowing in the middle! We were right on top of each other!

I remember that DL game also, long trip but worth it to be on the field when the flag bearing the A was stuck in the ground. That game was a classic case of revenge. I will be there and I am bringing a few others, how much room is on the visitors section? We may have to come extra early.

I remember that DL game also, long trip but worth it to be on the field when the flag bearing the A was stuck in the ground. That game was a classic case of revenge. I will be there and I am bringing a few others, how much room is on the visitors section? We may have to come extra early.

The visitors side holds about 1000-1100.

You can see about half of the vistors side in this picture.

pic23656.jpg

Here is the home side.

4_1.jpg