Alcoa vs Smith County

clintabbott

Ain't nothing like a Friday night football game at SCHS...I don't think I'll sleep a wink this week...anticipating the game on Friday...

I think Coach Rankin is going to see a different place when he gets to town on Friday night...I know that when he was here...(He was vice-principal my very first year teaching, and I've always considered myself lucky to have begun my career with him and Roger Lewis as my administrators)...there was a pride to the team...to the field...

In the 21 years that I have been here...the stadium has never looked better...the team has never believed in themselves as much as they do this year...and I don't think I've ever seen as much community support as I have in the past few years... and I credit Coach Maynord and his staff for that...

I kind of laughed when the kids were saying that they were going to meet Alcoa in the 4th round...it wasn't even the second week of the season...the coaches were telling this bunch of kids that they could do it...and they've done it...I couldn't be more pleased for them...made a believer out of me...

GO OWLS...do your thing...make us proud...

PS...if I lived close enough...and could pay $400 for my boy to play for Rankin...oh yes I would...can't blame anyone for that...but I lucked out...for free...my boy gets to play for Maynord...and in my eyes...this year...he's the best...

GO OWLS!!!

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maynord was the head coach at White County when Rankin was the head coach at Smith County. They both went to Riverdale that year, and Maynord was hired to be his defensive coordinator. Curious as to who that linebacker was? I remember watching the Warriors play when he coached there. There was a slu of good linebackers. Crawford is an exceptional coach.

Mark Nobles. He is now an attorney in Murfreesboro. He played and started in 90-91. Adam Wright was another good kid on that team and he played at Tech for couple of years I think. Crawford's step son, Wright and Noble's best friend, was another good kid. That staff turned Riverdale around quickly. That 91 team went 10-0 and lost to Franklin County in the first round in an upset. I remember, I was in the press box at Floyd Stadium!

Mark Nobles. He is now an attorney in Murfreesboro. He played and started in 90-91. Adam Wright was another good kid on that team and he played at Tech for couple of years I think. Crawford's step son, Wright and Noble's best friend, was another good kid. That staff turned Riverdale around quickly. That 91 team went 10-0 and lost to Franklin County in the first round in an upset. I remember, I was in the press box at Floyd Stadium!

Yeah, I remember nobles and wright. Wright was either a de or te. Can't really remember. Was that when Brian Davis was the QB and Osborne was the TB? Do you remember seeing a guy play by the name of Kenny McGowan? The hardest hitting free safety in high school football I have ever seen. Broke two sets of ribs. That is for sure, Riverdale was not the Riverdale as people know it today before Rankin and his staff came to town. Oakland was the daddy before then.

Edited by I Love HS Football

Not sure, but, at the away games we fill up the visitors' stands. A couple of years ago, at David Lipscomb, I could've sworn the stands were bowing in the middle! We were right on top of each other!

Alcoa usually brings alot of fans. I'm coming from Virginia for this game and I hope to be traveling I-40 west to the 'Boro again next week. I lived in Alcoa for 35 years and have followed Tornado football through the good, bad and ugly - mostly good! Nothing like Friday Night Lights and I know that Smith County fans feel the same way. Best to both teams.

This is going to be a good game. I have confidence in our team and coaches, that they will be able to do the things necessary to make this a good game and give the Owls a chance to win at the end. Of course Alcoa has the ability to blow this wide-open, but I'm confident we will see a great game in the hole, with people coming from all over to watch Maynord and the Owls, take on Rankin and the Tornados. I know myself and others from SC have been thinking about this since week 0. I can't wait, the atmosphere will be electric!!! Go Owls!!! :thumb:

I agree Alcoa IMO are much like a private school. The best kids will come to Alcoa and play football or whatever sport. It's like a combine for D1 prospects. They are good enough to be playing teams like Riverdale not small schools like Smith Co.

Man you guys are so far off the mark when it comes to the Alcoa school system and where the majority of athletes come from.......you need to know the city and the families-let's get back to the game.

I just get tired of hearing how good Alcoa has it and all the D1 players they have every year and how bad their going to beat a small school like Smith Co. to death. And the funny part is I'm not from Smith Co. as most of you know. But I am a huge fan and envious of the football program that you guys have every year. For a school of your size you just need to take the next step to be on the same level of those schools like Alcoa that always have the advantage on schools like Smith Co.

I just wish Alcoa would go play where the playing field is equal to their's. Schools like Smith Co. pretty much play the hands they are dealt and don't have the luxury every year to have so many people to choose from.

What are you talking about? Alcoa is a small school even smaller than SC-what is the advantage as far as that is concerned? Let the teams play and may the best team win!!!

Edited by alcoafan72

The visitors side holds about 1000-1100.

You can see about half of the vistors side in this picture.

pic23656.jpg

Here is the home side.

4_1.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. Visitors' side looks similar to ours. We should be able to fill that up, no problem!

Good luck to SCHS on Friday...hope it's a clean game with no injuries!!!

GO TORNADOES!!!