Hillsboro and Maryville

LipscombBall3r

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the game......As I watched, I was far from being impressed with Hillsboro. Very sloppy and undisciplined. Surely, there had to be another 4A team that was better than Hillsboro. I knew as soon as Maryville scored their 1st TD that the Burros did not have a chance.

Hillsboro was worthy of their state final apperance. The championship game was not their best effort and Maryville had something to do with it. MV can make good teams not look so good.

My take on the game is that HB kept trying to pass when it was obvious that the QB was not having a good day.

I watched HB outplay MV two straight years and loose but last Sat. MV brought their 'A' game and proved they were the better team. MV can find a way to win even when they are outmatched talent wise. This is a great compliment to their program.

I enjoy watching Maryville play, wish they were closer to my area, I would watch them more often. Great fan support.

Back to the game......As I watched, I was far from being impressed with Hillsboro. Very sloppy and undisciplined. Surely, there had to be another 4A team that was better than Hillsboro. I knew as soon as Maryville scored their 1st TD that the Burros did not have a chance.

Congrats Maryville!

I don't know about that, I thought Hillsboro to good enough to win the game if Maryville had turned the ball over a bunch of times. I thought field position was one part of the game Maryville would win and they clearly did. They clearly were the best team Maryville faced all year.

Congrats Maryville!

Hillsboro played sloppy and undisciplined Saturday afternoon. They reminded me of your Vols in 2005 when they were the second best team in the state behind Vandy. Hillsboro was by far the 2nd best team in the State behind the Maryville Rebels (Nationally Ranked in the top 20). Not to take anything away from Maryville, but the Hillsboro team played awful Saturday and Maryville played great. I am not sure of your agenda but lets not take anything away from these two teams that were clearly the two best in the state in 4A, maybe the entire state regardless of classification

I don't know about that, I thought Hillsboro to good enough to win the game if Maryville had turned the ball over a bunch of times. I thought field position was one part of the game Maryville would win and they clearly did. They clearly were the best team Maryville faced all year.

Their QB was not very good, nor were their receivers (too many dropped passes!!) I was expecting a much better effort on their part but Maryville could do anything it wanted. I thought Fulton looked better than Hillsboro and Alcoa as well. Alcoa played Maryville better at the beginning of the year than did Hillsboro this past Saturday.

I just was not impressed at all with their execution. I know that Maryville can make the best of teams look bad, but Hillsboro was just totally off. At one point did they not have like 4 or 5 consecutive 3 and outs? I thought their fundamentals and discipline were no where close to being what it needed to be in order to win a championship game. Thus the score was 35-10.

Their QB was not very good, nor were their receivers (too many dropped passes!!) I was expecting a much better effort on their part but Maryville could do anything it wanted. I thought Fulton looked better than Hillsboro and Alcoa as well. Alcoa played Maryville better at the beginning of the year than did Hillsboro this past Saturday.

I just was not impressed at all with their execution. I know that Maryville can make the best of teams look bad, but Hillsboro was just totally off. At one point did they not have like 4 or 5 consecutive 3 and outs? I thought their fundamentals and discipline were no where close to being what it needed to be in order to win a championship game. Thus the score was 35-10.

Hillsboro would have beaten Alcoa by 3 TD's if not more. Maryville could do anything on Hillsboro?.... :lol: I doubt you were watching too closely nor have very solid football knowledge.

Do you think a well prepared defense had anything to do with Hillsboro's lack of execution?

Hillsboro had the best front 7 I saw Maryville play against. Alcoa was much better in the secondary than Hillsboro was. No one hit Tank like Hillsboro did. Besides that long run of Singleton's. Hillsboro's defense slowed down Maryville's running attack. Maryville killed Hillsboro in the air.

I still think Alcoa is the best team Maryville played. At the same time Hillsboro and Red Bank would have given Alcoa fits. Rhea County was tough also.

Hillsboro was a good team. But! They were nowhere close to the 2001 and 2002 Hillsboro teams that Maryville played. I have said this more than once. The Hillsboro team in 2002 was the best team I ever seen a Maryville team beat.

Hillsboro had the best front 7 I saw Maryville play against. Alcoa was much better in the secondary than Hillsboro was. No one hit Tank like Hillsboro did. Besides that long run of Singleton's. Hillsboro's defense slowed down Maryville's running attack. Maryville killed Hillsboro in the air.

I still think Alcoa is the best team Maryville played. At the same time Hillsboro and Red Bank would have given Alcoa fits. Rhea County was tough also.

Hillsboro was a good team. But! They were nowhere close to the 2001 and 2002 Hillsboro teams that Maryville played. I have said this more than once. The Hillsboro team in 2002 was the best team I ever seen a Maryville team beat.

I agree Rebelron.

The Hillsboro team of 2002 was an awesome team. I guess it took an awesome TEAM to beat 'em.

I have heard some from Hillsboro say their 2003 team was better, but when they played MoWest in the finals and won, they were without Calvin "The Fridge" Bryant, who was injured a week earlier. He was a load.

Hillsboro would have beaten Alcoa by 3 TD's if not more. Maryville could do anything on Hillsboro?.... :thumb: I doubt you were watching too closely nor have very solid football knowledge.

Do you think a well prepared defense had anything to do with Hillsboro's lack of execution?

MLREB.. Your a nice guy in person but you awfully mean when you get a keyboard.... :lol:

MLREB.. Your a nice guy in person but you awfully mean when you get a keyboard.... :lol:

I've been told that before.... :lol: We have a tendency to be bigger than life behind the keyboards... I guess it's that alter ego Mr. Poole. How you doing...it's been a while. Don't pay any attention to me on the boards.....just doing some pot stirring.... :lol: Is that boy still playing football?

I must say, I was expecting more out of Hillsboro.

Yes, their front 7 was very good, but their secondary looked as if they had not seen a pass all year. How you can let the 4A Mr. Football winner get behind you with under a minute left in the half is beyond me.

Offensively, their QB was an average HS QB who couldn't do much beyond 15 yards. Their receivers did drop a lot of passes, some when no one was within 10 yards of the receiver. (Never understood why Maryville never walked the safeties up out of the cover 2.) At the same time, Maryville's D-ends did dominate that game from start to finish, so I don't know if the QB just got knocked out of hrythm on anything downfield. Overall, just too many little mistakes offensively to be able to beat a team like Maryville. Their running game seemed very solid, and I was confused all day as to why they did not use it more.

There was a ton of talent on their side of the ball, just did not have a good day last Saturday.