Private schools going to state title games

jacksoncounty

Ok, a few things that some people are obviously missing...

1) The small privates in general DO NOT have more money than the small publics...period. If you are gonna state things as financial fact then get them right. That includes money for facilities etc.

2) Some small privates DO HAVE a lot of money, some don't have hardly any, so Volgen's comments about the disparities in public funding are dead on point. There is financial disparity all over the state, public and private. I know we don't hold a candle to the resources some of the Nashville schools have from one or two donors...so what? Your new Weider weight set can't get out and play. And I also know that there are plenty of 2a teams that out fund us on the public side of the ball...again, so what?

3) Some one posted that Tennessee is 'way behind other states that have already addressed this problem'. TOO RIGHT, but not the way you meant it. In other states that have multipliers the multiplier is much lower...in fact, Tennessee's is the highest in the country I believe. Some other states have a merit type system in place. And before you go and talk about Texas being total split, remember that they started out that way, they didn't toss a couple hundred member schools out. So we are behind...we should go to a merit system or reduce the multiplier to something realistic and let all the privates back in.

4) Finally, the small privates were multiplied last year. And last year they won 0 championships. Small privates make up about one fourth of the small schools, so statistically if they win one or two this year we are on track for parity. So I don't see why everyone is freaking out...I thought this was supposed to even things up, not knock the small privates out of contention.

Sorry it was the way i meant it..I watch h.s football on tv and all they show are the privates from many states..BTW anyone can tell it or they wouldnt be on tv..i can console with you that some of the privates dont have funds the others around them do ..Due to the fact you alluded to ..they have more $$ and get players you would want..same goes for most publics..no $$ .. so here we are discussing a disgusted subject to many h.s. fans that love/support their team fanwise only> because of $$$ they dont have (blue collar families) to pay for their child to attend a private school.. evening it up will not happen till a merit system is in place or the privates that say they are not private own up to the fact they are which you nor I will not will never hear..why?? $$$$$==it rules the world which is not a Christian value ..GO FIGURE?? :lol:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 is false. Small privates that are in the playoffs have

more resources and money than Mt. Pleasant and

Lake County. I have seen Mt. Pleasant's facilities,

and they do not come anywhere near the privates,

including privates that were not in the playoffs.

#4 Small privates make up one-fourth of the schools

in their respectives classifications?

According to Laz's numbers, privates are winning

64% of the regular season matchups with publics,

and privates are winning 73% of the playoff games

with publics.

If #4 is accurate, then a minority of similar type

schools are winning.

1) The small privates in general DO NOT have more money than the small publics...period. If you are gonna state things as financial fact then get them right. That includes money for facilities etc.

2) Some small privates DO HAVE a lot of money, some don't have hardly any, so Volgen's comments about the disparities in public funding are dead on point. There is financial disparity all over the state, public and private. I know we don't hold a candle to the resources some of the Nashville schools have from one or two donors...so what? Your new Weider weight set can't get out and play. And I also know that there are plenty of 2a teams that out fund us on the public side of the ball...again, so what?

3) Some one posted that Tennessee is 'way behind other states that have already addressed this problem'. TOO RIGHT, but not the way you meant it. In other states that have multipliers the multiplier is much lower...in fact, Tennessee's is the highest in the country I believe. Some other states have a merit type system in place. And before you go and talk about Texas being total split, remember that they started out that way, they didn't toss a couple hundred member schools out. So we are behind...we should go to a merit system or reduce the multiplier to something realistic and let all the privates back in.

4) Finally, the small privates were multiplied last year. And last year they won 0 championships. Small privates make up about one fourth of the small schools, so statistically if they win one or two this year we are on track for parity. So I don't see why everyone is freaking out...I thought this was supposed to even things up, not knock the small privates out of contention.

Words of wisdom.

I`m not sure if lowering the multiplier would do any good. I think most privates would live with the highest multiplier in the nation to be able to keep all TN high schools in one division.

But since there are no private schools in 4A or 5A then isn't that a separate argument?

No...here`s why. The gripe is that there are some schools in 1A, 2A, and 3A that are competing against schools in their class that have access to more money. That should have nothing to do with the school being private. I brought out the fact that the same problem occurs in 4A and 5A.

If you can only complain about it in 1,2,and 3A then you lose your argument about money being the issue. It just comes down to complaining about private schools having some money.

IF money is the real issue then it doesn`t matter if it is private school money or public school money. Money is money. If say Mt. Pleasant is allowed to make a legitimate complaint about another school in 1A having money then as the supporter of a school that really struggles with finances in a higher class I should have the same legitimate complaint of having to compete against schools in my class that has access to money.

I`ll ask you this...what difference does it make if it is a private school that has money or it is a public school? If you got it you got it. Some do and some don`t. It`s happens in the lower classes, but it`s not limited to the lower classes.

No it`s not a fantastic post. Financial disparities are every where. A few years ago we raised 20,000 dollars for the JCM baseball team. I thought that was a lot. Then I found out that Germantown raised over 70,000. Do you have the same problem with that? JCM is mainly an inner city school while Germantown lies in a very affluent part of Shelby County.

If you are gonna make arguments about money then you need to be consistent in your arguments. You are accusing private schools of the same advantages many public schools have.

I could waste my time complaining about it like you do, but instead I just accept the fact that other schools may have nicer facilities and move on.

Ok, you make a nice point. Every community is made up differently. However, Germantown is considerably larger than the schools we were supposedly discussing. A rural 1A school tends to have fewer high-income families within its radius, therefore can't raise the money the more affluent private schools can. If Hampton, for instance, raised 20,000 dollars for ANY athletic program, there would be SEVERE partying! Our fundraisers fall in the 1,000 range at best. It is a shame that we have to go through this rigamarole, and as for wasting my time, you're wasting yours as well.

Stan,

I'll tell ya what, maybe we are talking about differenc things when we say 'more money' or 'less money'. I'll define my terms and then you can see if they are 'false' or if we were talking about 2 different things.

I can only talk about one small private with absolute certainty, so with apologies to the others (I keep saying we are all really different) I'll use the one I know about.

Our field is in a flood plain. There is a swamp behind the visitors bleachers. We finally raised enough money to put REAL bleachers and a REAL pressbox up this year...after 30 YEARS of not being able to improve things. We had to raise the money from private donors, not from any concessions or ticket sales, as they all go back into the athletic general fund. One of our board members took a huge amount of time from his job to help raise the funds. We also built new locker rooms and a new concession stand...again after using the same undersized locker rooms for 25 years or so.

We have an ok weight room...because people DONATED the money and many of the weight machines/weights to us. Why? Because we can't afford to buy them. I needed a chute for the line this year because the old one was run over by a tractor several times (long story)...we didn't have the money in the budget. I might get one next year...maybe. We have a 5 man sled...same one we have had for 8 years now. We also have one 1 man sled. We share our field with 6 other athletic teams including all the middleschool soccer and football teams.

We had about 50 kids on the team this year and while I don't know the exact budget amount I can tell you it was less than $300/kid. Our kids pay a large uniform rental fee, they pay for camp, and they pay for some of their practice and game gear and food.

I'm not complaining...hey, we do pretty well (which begs the question of whether money in the budget is really a factor or not), but I am telling you we just don't have the funding that the publics we play have...period.

That is what I mean by the small privates don't have much cash. Were we talking about the same thing?

Stan,

I'll tell ya what, maybe we are talking about differenc things when we say 'more money' or 'less money'. I'll define my terms and then you can see if they are 'false' or if we were talking about 2 different things.

I can only talk about one small private with absolute certainty, so with apologies to the others (I keep saying we are all really different) I'll use the one I know about.

Our field is in a flood plain. There is a swamp behind the visitors bleachers. We finally raised enough money to put REAL bleachers and a REAL pressbox up this year...after 30 YEARS of not being able to improve things. We had to raise the money from private donors, not from any concessions or ticket sales, as they all go back into the athletic general fund. One of our board members took a huge amount of time from his job to help raise the funds. We also built new locker rooms and a new concession stand...again after using the same undersized locker rooms for 25 years or so.

We have an ok weight room...because people DONATED the money and many of the weight machines/weights to us. Why? Because we can't afford to buy them. I needed a chute for the line this year because the old one was run over by a tractor several times (long story)...we didn't have the money in the budget. I might get one next year...maybe. We have a 5 man sled...same one we have had for 8 years now. We also have one 1 man sled. We share our field with 6 other athletic teams including all the middleschool soccer and football teams.

We had about 50 kids on the team this year and while I don't know the exact budget amount I can tell you it was less than $300/kid. Our kids pay a large uniform rental fee, they pay for camp, and they pay for some of their practice and game gear and food.

I'm not complaining...hey, we do pretty well (which begs the question of whether money in the budget is really a factor or not), but I am telling you we just don't have the funding that the publics we play have...period.

That is what I mean by the small privates don't have much cash. Were we talking about the same thing?

How many kids you got walking to practice or either depending on one of the coaches to come and get them, How many kids you got either failing or dropping out of schools. How many kids you got missing off season training. How many from broken homes.Who does your off season training,how many qualified coaches do you have. How many of the kids work in the off season.How many special ed kids you got. How many nuts you got standing on the fence screaming at the coaches. How many of your parents are on welfare. Pudlic schools have alot of problems that you in your private world don't give much thought to. We'll I guess private school parents have give it some tought, thats the reason you seperate your children from our society.

How many kids you got walking to practice or either depending on one of the coaches to come and get them, How many kids you got either failing or dropping out of schools. How many kids you got missing off season training. How many from broken homes.Who does your off season training,how many qualified coaches do you have. How many of the kids work in the off season.How many special ed kids you got. How many nuts you got standing on the fence screaming at the coaches. How many of your parents are on welfare. Pudlic schools have alot of problems that you in your private world don't give much thought to. We'll I guess private school parents have give it some tought, thats the reason you seperate your children from our society.

I wasn't talking about all the differences Pujo, I was speaking to Stan who said it was false that we didn't have much money. If you want to change topics every time someone refutes ya, how are we going to get any dialogue going?

I am agreeing with baldcoach just knowing the Chattanooga Class 1A or 2A privates.

Look at Temple. They have nothing.

Look at CCS. virtually no weight room, fields were built on old parking lots, although they do have some space

Look at Boyd. Swamp, couldn't play on baseball field one year

Look at Grace. They play football on their baseball and softball field.

Not sure whats happening at Silverdale... they may be the exception.

I wasn't talking about all the differences Pujo, I was speaking to Stan who said it was false that we didn't have much money. If you want to change topics every time someone refutes ya, how are we going to get any dialogue going?

I guess I should have let Stan reply ,but I think this whole discussion has to do with the differences is the two types of schools,and are we playing on a level playing field. We are so much different .that you people won't even let your kids go to school with us. Then you think you must compete with us on Friday night. Our kids ,coaches and teachers live in the real world with many problems. We don't hide from the problems or try to seperate ourselves from them. We get right in the middle of it and try to make it a better world for alot of unfortunate kids.You people act like you achieve greatness, I think our mission is alot more demanding, but at the same time,its also more rewarding. Another thing that bothers me qite a bit, we have played 13 schools before last Friday night,at the end of every game,we knell and pray with the other school, Didn't happen the other night with a fine CHRISTIAN school. I guess they have a private church also. Pitiful

I am agreeing with baldcoach just knowing the Chattanooga Class 1A or 2A privates.

Look at Temple. They have nothing.

Look at CCS. virtually no weight room, fields were built on old parking lots, although they do have some space

Look at Boyd. Swamp, couldn't play on baseball field one year

Look at Grace. They play football on their baseball and softball field.

Not sure whats happening at Silverdale... they may be the exception.

When the Headmaster is making 100,000 dollars a year ,someone has a little money. Don't know to many people at any public schools bringing in that type of money.