Private schools going to state title games

jacksoncounty

Ok, instead of ACT and SAT scores being used for comparative purposes let's use a scholarly study that was done for the very purpose.

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard//pubs...ies/2006461.asp

"The goal of the study was to examine differences in mean National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) reading and mathematics scores between public and private schools when selected characteristics of students and/or schools were taken into account."

This study found that when just at face view over all the populations in the study did find a significant difference in the two styles of school. However, when it was controlled "statistically for individual student characteristics (such as gender, race/ethnicity, disability status, identification as an English language learner) and school characteristics (such as school size, location, and the composition of the student body)." The following was found: "when school means were adjusted in the HLM analysis, the average for public schools was significantly higher than the average for private schools for grade 4 mathematics and not significantly different for reading. At grade 8, the average for private schools was significantly higher than the average for public schools in reading but not significantly different for mathematics."

So in reality there was not much significant difference in the two types of school after the settings were equalized comparing apples to apples, (like students).

That being the case, I think I'll save my money and continue to utilize Coalfield School. Go Jackets.

Edited by CYJacket

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just stating the facts here that's all. Don't shoot the messenger. Is it that some of you guys feel you can't compete in Division II?????

PUBLIC VS. PRIVATE. VERY TOUGH TOPIC. SHOULD BE SEPERATED!!!!!

1. PLAYER POOL TO DRAW FROM. PUBLIC, WE HAVE WHO WE HAVE AND THAT'S IT. KIDS, NO, PARENTS DON'T COME KNOCKING DOWN OUR DOORS TO PLAY .

2. LIMIT OF ZONES. PRIVATE WILL ACCECPT ANYONE, ESP, ATHLETES WHO CAN PAY OR NO SOMEONE WHO WILL PAY REGARDLES OF WHERE THEY LIVE. PUBLIC SCHOOLS HAVE ZONES. IF WE DIDN'T, KATIE BAR THE DOOR, BECAUSE HERE WE GO!! YOU WOULD END UP HAVING TRI COUNTY ALL STAR TEAMS TO COMPETE AGAINST EVERY FRIDAY NIGHT.

3. FACILITIES. NOT EVEN CLOSE. PRIVATES ARE WAY BETTTER B/C DR. BOB HAS THE MONEY AND AN EGO TRIP TO SEE HIS SON PLAY OR HIS OWN NAME ON THE FIELDHOUSE, PRESS BOX, ETC... NOT TO SAY THAT IT IS WRONG, IT'S HIS MONEY, HE CAN DO THAT. ALSO NOT TO SAY THAT THOSE IN PUBLIC CAN' T DO IT EITHER. JUST MORE PREVELANT IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR. YOU KNOW LIKE I DO, KIDS ARE DRAWN TO FACILITIES--I.E. COLLEGE RECRUITING, HUMM?? NOT EVEN GOING THERE. LOL YOU KNOW IT HAPPENS JUST LIKE I DO. "IT AIN'T SPEEDING TILL YOU GET A TICKET"

4. COACHING. SOME, NOT ALL, PRIVATES HAVE COACHES WHO DO THAT --COACH NOT TEACH. ALL PUBLIC SCHOOL COACHES HAVE A SCHEDULE TO TEACH, MOST A FULL CLASS SCHEDULE. HOW AWESOME WOULD IT BE FOR PUBLIC SCHOOL COACHES , TO GET TO COACH , MEET WITH ASSISTANT COACHES, STUDY FILM, AND GAME PLAN ALL DAY. PUBLIC HAS TO ON SAT. AND SUNDAY AFTERNOONS--NOT ALL WEEK!

*****I KNOW THERE ARE PRIVATE SCHOOL CAOCHES WHO TEACH*****

JUST MY THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS, FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH.

Interesting article in the Tennessean on the public ,private debate, it says public schools get a 30 percent particapation rate compared to 65 to 70 in the private schools. To take it a step farther, I wonder what the percent of kids giving their all and working from the 7th grade up would be. My guess would be nearly all the private school kids would be doing the off season training, I think in the public schools ,its more common for kids to start working at the highschool age. And even then , I'd say the percent would be well under the 100 percent mark. Another factor would be transfers, I wonder how many transfers from the 7th grade up started for the final 4 in 1a,Hampton had 1. The Coach for Friendship said the multiplier had hurt them more than it helped them, he might need to look who left region 5 1A. Wonder if he would rather be playing CPA today . I sort of doubt it. He's like an old Groundhog lying in the sun.

i think that the private schools should havee there own little league to play each other ....beacause public schools like us dont stand a chance against the big private schools like gp and them...even if the public schools has a loaded year with all sorts of talent.. dont stand a chance ..you seen what happened 2 miland against gp... miand had a loaded year and looked what happened to them... a private school got them .....i mean yea im sure the private schools arnt gonna complain beacause they no they got an edge over everyone else..and most likely they will always have a shot at state but for tiny schools like us what can we do...we have to hope that we get a miriacle.... they need to go to divison2 and then they will no exactly how we feel...not haveing a chance....but they wanna stay in the publics BEACAUSE THEY NO THEY GOT A EDGE AND THEY CAN WHOOP UP ON US...... maybe if yall go play a school bigger tha yall are and yall get killed then you will no exactly how all the schools like us feel then ... we will see if yall thank it is far then......but i guess yall want bragging rights on the little schools like us that dont stand a chance... but if i went to a private school i wouldnt complain if i went to state every year..and killed everyone i played ether......it would be nic e to actually see a publis school play in state and not have to worry bout the private schools knocking them out.....how bout yall give us a chance.... :thumb: and if the priavte schools are so good everyone talks bout then they should be able to play with the divison 2 schools.....beacause i can tell you that the public schools arnt scared beacause we have to play yall....but i guess yall are scared to go to a bigger league and get yalls butt kicked like us public schools do......but i guess they dont wanna move up beacause the schools they will be playign wll have just as much or more talent then they do and they dont want to lose the reputaion of whooping every1 they play.....

Edited by Lc pride

i think that the private schools should havee there own little league to play each other ....beacause public schools like us dont stand a chance against the big private schools like gp and them...even if the public schools has a loaded year with all sorts of talent.. dont stand a chance ..you seen what happened 2 miland against gp... miand had a loaded year and looked what happened to them... a private school got them .....i mean yea im sure the private schools arnt gonna complain beacause they no they got an edge over everyone else..and most likely they will always have a shot at state but for tiny schools like us what can we do...we have to hope that we get a miriacle.... they need to go to divison2 and then they will no exactly how we feel...not haveing a chance....but they wanna stay in the publics BEACAUSE THEY NO THEY GOT A EDGE AND THEY CAN WHOOP UP ON US...... maybe if yall go play a school bigger tha yall are and yall get killed then you will no exactly how all the schools like us feel then ... we will see if yall thank it is far then......but i guess yall want bragging rights on the little schools like us that dont stand a chance... but if i went to a private school i wouldnt complain if i went to state every year..and killed everyone i played ether......it would be nic e to actually see a publis school play in state and not have to worry bout the private schools knocking them out.....how bout yall give us a chance.... :thumb:

Hmm...so Alcoa(public) doesn't stand a chance against big bad Goodpasture?? Better check back into the real world pal...

Oh, I see...it would be nice to see a public play in the state...uhhh...wait, 4 of 5 1a, 2a, and 3a championships in the last 2 years were public with the 6th getting decided tomorrow. All the public wins were blow outs of the privates...the one private win was a close game between two 1a privates this year. You'uns might wanna ....... heck.....check facts now and again.

well alcoa is open zone so they are practically a private school and that was the past im talking bout the present playoffs not the past

So am I Lc...last year's and this year's...in case it has escaped your notice once again Alcoa blew Goodpasture up. I really think you should keep current if you are gonna talk about how tough GP is...they got punished last night.

ON a side note, Smith County (the public that put us out) gave Alcoa every bit as good a game as GP this year...so there were at least 2 public 2a schools that were as good as or better than any privates including gp. And last year Tyner gave Alcoa a MUCH better game than GP...once again proving that at least 2 publics were better than the best private. My guess is Fulton will win 3a today...making the last 2 years' totals 5 publics (all blowouts over privates) and 1 private.

Edited by Baldcoach

So am I Lc...last year's and this year's...in case it has escaped your notice once again Alcoa blew Goodpasture up. I really think you should keep current if you are gonna talk about how tough GP is...they got punished last night.

ON a side note, Smith County (the public that put us out) gave Alcoa every bit as good a game as GP this year...so there were at least 2 public 2a schools that were as good as or better than any privates including gp. And last year Tyner gave Alcoa a MUCH better game than GP...once again proving that at least 2 publics were better than the best private. My guess is Fulton will win 3a today...making the last 2 years' totals 5 publics (all blowouts over privates) and 1 private.

So you are saying that 2 of the 46 public schools are competitive with 1 of the 8 private schools in 2A, the last two years at least? Sounds even to me.

"(all blowouts over privates)"

i havent seen all the games, but i wouldnt characterize yesterday's gp game as a blowout.

for most of the game, goodpasture marched up and down the field but didnt score, and did a pretty good job on defense except for giving up a couple of big plays that did account for scores.

the lopsided score came late when gp had to do the desperation stuff.

if gp completes a couple of drives and doesnt give up a couple of big plays it would have been a completely different ball game.

I agree with many others... this comes down to a rural vs. city schools issue (not public vs. private). If you consider the fact that David Lipscomb, Hillsboro, and Montgomery Bell Academy (MBA) are all within about 1 mile of each other, and all three have strong football programs. The kids that are zoned for Hillsboro (public school), who chose privates go to either MBA, Lipscomb, Brentwood Academy, Franklin Road Acadmey, Christ Presbyterian Academy, Father Ryan, etc... (all within a few miles of Hillsboro). The fact that all of these programs are successful, talks to the success of all the talented kids playing athletics in West and South Nashville. David Lipscomb primarily pulls kids from Green Hills (Hillsboro - public), Brentwood (Ravenwood and Brentwood publics), Franklin (Franklin public). and Bellevue (Pearl-Cohn and Hillwood publics). If there were no privates, can you imagine how these public schools would dominate??? I am sure it is the same story in Knoxville and Memphis, along with North Nashville (JPII, Goodpasture, Hendersonville, Gallatin, etc...). As someone who grew-up in a smaller district, I understand the frustration... The fact is... kids go to the privates (discluding scholarship providing schools), for other reasons outside of athletics (like prayer in school, family tradition, college preparation, and lack of violence). I know for a fact that 50% of the kids playing for Lipscomb in the championship game today started at Lipscomb in kindergartern. All the rest came in 5th or 6th grade. Face it.. we are parents that watched Columbine, which scared a lot of us out of schools where we do not know the parents, kids, etc... When you live in a big city, there are choices. The privates should not be penalized because they choose to be small... The main reason for success is strong middle school programs. If these kids play together since 5th or 6th grades, they are going to be better teams. My advice to the rural counties... start strong middle school programs. It can and will work. The talent in the cities is spread (as you can see from the examples above).