Privates Better Coaches

ddaddy

After reading the Tennessan today I was shocked by the comments made by the Director of the TSSAA. His explaination of the success for private schools was that they have better coaches and administrators. I know that he came back and said that not all "poor teams has poor coaches", but the implication that private schools success is because of better coaching and administrators is there. Do they have great coaches? Absolutely, not doubt, Coach McAdams and Coach Martin are very good coaches. Would they win in the same manner if they were at Trenton or Westmoreland? Absolutely not, they didn't! There is no better coach in the state than Jackie Kelly at Westmoreland. When they were in the same region no matter how hard he coached or how hard his kids played or how much support he had from his administration, he could not beat them regularly. Why, because the playing field is not level. If you "take George Quarles and drop the public-private issue" and he wouldn't be any more successful at one of these schools like Westmoreland than the coaches that they have. I am not a private school hater or a Ronnie Carter basher and if I lived in a Urban setting and my son could play I would send him to one of the privates just like many other parents do, to play sports! I don't believe that there's a lot of recruiting going on it just they are able to draw for so many other places, and they do.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the Tennessan today I was shocked by the comments made by the Director of the TSSAA. His explaination of the success for private schools was that they have better coaches and administrators. I know that he came back and said that not all "poor teams has poor coaches", but the implication that private schools success is because of better coaching and administrators is there. Do they have great coaches? Absolutely, not doubt, Coach McAdams and Coach Martin are very good coaches. Would they win in the same manner if they were at Trenton or Westmoreland? Absolutely not, they didn't! There is no better coach in the state than Jackie Kelly at Westmoreland. When they were in the same region no matter how hard he coached or how hard his kids played or how much support he had from his administration, he could not beat them regularly. Why, because the playing field is not level. If you "take George Quarles and drop the public-private issue" and he wouldn't be any more successful at one of these schools like Westmoreland than the coaches that they have. I am not a private school hater or a Ronnie Carter basher and if I lived in a Urban setting and my son could play I would send him to one of the privates just like many other parents do, to play sports! I don't believe that there's a lot of recruiting going on it just they are able to draw for so many other places, and they do.

Actual quote from the Tennessean article today...

Carter said one thing the multiplier does not measure is the quality of school administration and coaching.

"The biggest thing I've noticed about high school sports as an observer is to look at the administration and who’s coaching at some of the schools," Carter said. "Now that doesn't mean a poor team has poor coaches or poor administration. But generally if you look over the years, good teams have good coaches and good administration.

"That's not a public and private issue. You can take a guy like McCadams or someone like (Maryville Coach) George Quarles and drop the public-private issue. They'll be successful wherever they are."

Link to the article: The Tennessean

Edited by robjim

I`ve always thought that was something that private schools do more efficiently than public schools and that is hiring coaches. Lots of times public schools find someone who can fill a teaching position and coach also. I`ve known of some really good assistant coaches that wanted to come to a school, but didn`t get hired because the subjects they were accredited to teach didn`t have an opening.

I`ve always thought that was something that private schools do more efficiently than public schools and that is hiring coaches. Lots of times public schools find someone who can fill a teaching position and coach also. I`ve known of some really good assistant coaches that wanted to come to a school, but didn`t get hired because the subjects they were accredited to teach didn`t have an opening.

I think you may be mistaken here volgen, private schools (at least the small DI privates) can't afford to hire a coach who teaches something that isn't needed by the school any more than a public school can. I'm thinking that I know several head and assistant coaches for public schools, however, who actually work at other schools in the county where they were needed and coach a sport for a local highschool. Seems to me that would be a Metro advantage over the privates...hire a great coach anywhere in the system and he can still coach. But, again, I am most familiar with the small privates in Chattanooga, which seem to be somewhat different from many of the middle and west Tenn privates.

"The biggest thing I've noticed about high school sports as an observer is to look at the administration and who’s coaching at some of the schools," Carter said.

That's the BIGGEST THING he's noticed???? For me, I noticed that some rural schools have the best team in a generation and they're being put out by a team that draws from several different counties! I know that there are some small schools will have to wait 15-20 yrs before they have talent like they had this year and they were being eliminated in the second round. Its only fair for rural schools to play each other because these schools obtain players the same way their competition does (their players get off the bus at their ZONED school). And its not just football - has Mr. Carter not noticed how private schools have basically taken over the spring sports? Does this mean that private schools have better baseball, softball, and track coaches too?!? Maybe its the NUMEROUS zip codes they obtain these kids from? How can this be fair? Maybe its selective enrollment? Maybe its a great workstudy program? Maybe its the dollars? Maybe its the 5A kid thats tired of goin 5-5 every year and he wants to move down a few classifications where he can get more recognition, more playing time, and less of a pounding? These seem like the most OBVIOUS of differences between privates and publics.

Heres something interesting since 2000:

Year by Year Results for Football:Team Champions

Year School Class Name TeamRecord Score Site Comment

2004 Donelson Christian Academy Class 1A (15-0) 31-24 (OT) Murfreesboro

2003 Boyd Buchanan Class 1A (12-2) 26-3 Murfreesboro

2002 Christ Presbyterian Academy Class 1A (12-3) 26-20 OT Murfreesboro

2002 David Lipscomb Class 2A (13-2) 28-0 Murfreesboro

2001 Ezell Harding Class 1A (15-0) 63-26 Murfreesboro

2001 Goodpasture Class 2A (12-2) 14-0 Murfreesboro

2000 Christ Presbyterian Academy Class 1A (15-0) 49-27 Murfreesboro

Year by Year Results for Girls Softball:Team Champions

2006 Trinity Christian Class A (40-3) 4-1 Murfreesboro

2006 Goodpasture Class AA (39-5-1) 6-1 Murfreesboro

2005 Goodpasture Class A (54-6-1) 4-1 Memphis

2004 Goodpasture Class A (43-5) 3-0 Memphis

2003 Goodpasture Class A 4-1 Southaven, MS

2002 Davidson Academy Class A (39-9) 1-0 Chattanooga

2001 Ezell Harding Class A 8-0 Chattanooga

2000 Ezell Harding Class A (31-2) 10-0 Chattanooga

Year by Year Results for Baseball:Team Champions

2005 USJ Forfeited Due to Playing an Ineligible Player Class A - Memphis

2005 David Lipscomb Class AA (28-8) 7-1 Memphis

2004 Goodpasture Class A (40-5) 5-3 Memphis

2003 Davidson Academy Class A 8-7 Memphis - Univ. of Memphis

2002 University School of Jackson Class A (40-6) 13-7 Chattanooga - Engle

2001 University School of Jackson Class A (32-10) 5-3 Chattanooga

2001 David Lipscomb Class AA (28-9) 5-2 Chattanooga - Engle Stadium

2000 Franklin Road Academy Class A (26-8) 8-7 Chattanooga - Engle Stadium

Year by Year Results for Boys Tennis:Team Champions

2006 University School of Jackson Class A-AA 4-1 Murfreesboro

2005 Chattanooga Christian Class A-AA 4-3 Memphis

2004 Chattanooga Christian Class A-AA 4-0 Memphis

2003 Chattanooga Christian Class A-AA 4-0 Memphis

2002 Chattanooga Christian Class A-AA 4-2 Chattanooga

2001 Christian Academy of Knoxville Class A-AA 4-1 Chattanooga

2000 University School of Jackson Class A-AA

Year by Year Results for Girls Tennis:Team Champions

2006 Chattanooga Christian Class A-AA 4-1 Murfreesboro

2005 Chattanooga Christian Class A-AA 4-2 Memphis

2004 David Lipscomb Class A-AA 4-3 Memphis

2003 Donelson Christian Academy Class A-AA 4-0 Memphis

2002 Chattanooga Christian Class A-AA 4-0 Chattanooga

2001 Chattanooga Christian Class A-AA 4-0 Chattanooga

2000 Chattanooga Christian Class A-AA

Year by Year Results for Soccer:Team Champions

2006 Christian Academy of Knoxville Class A-AA (18-2-4) 1-0 Murfreesboro

2005 Christian Academy of Knoxville Class A-AA (19-2) 4-0 Memphis

2004 Christian Academy of Knoxville Class A-AA 2-1 Memphis

2003 Christian Academy of Knoxville Class A-AA 1-0 Memphis - Mike Rose

2001 Chattanooga Christian Class A-AA 5-0 Chattanooga

2006 Christian Academy of Knoxville Class A-AA (22-0-2) 3-0 Chattanooga

2005 Franklin Road Academy Class A-AA (20-4-3) 2-0 Chattanooga

2004 Franklin Road Academy Class A-AA (21-1-4) 3-2 Chattanooga

2003 Donelson Christian Academy Class A-AA 2-1 Chattanooga

2002 Franklin Road Academy Class A-AA 3-2 Chattanooga

Year by Year Results for Golf:Team Champions

2006 University School of Jackson Class A-AA 613 Old Fort

2005 Goodpasture Class A-AA 594 Winchester

2002 University School of Jackson Class A-AA 590 Old Fort

2001 Goodpasture Class A-AA 623 Henry Horton

2006 Goodpasture Class A-AA 334 Old Fort

2005 Franklin Road Academy Class A-AA 311 Winchester

2004 Davidson Academy Class A-AA 317 Old Fort

2003 Davidson Academy Class A-AA 313 Savannah

2002 Davidson Academy Class A-AA 296 Old Fort

2001 Christian Academy of Knoxville Class A-AA 347 Henry Horton

2000 Davidson Academy Class A-AA 324 Montgomery Bell

Most State Championships for AllSports

TOP 30 (14 Public schools)

(Huge disperity considering the huge # of Public schools)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

School Count

Baylor 89

Brentwood Academy 42

Oak Ridge 33

Montgomery Bell Academy 32

Father Ryan 32

Harpeth Hall 32

Dobyns Bennett 31

Girls Preparatory School 31

Christian Brothers 30

Bradley Central 30

Farragut 28

McCallie 28

David Lipscomb 26

Memphis University School 25

Brentwood 24

Germantown 21

Memphis Central 20

Houston 20

Franklin Road Academy 19

Goodpasture 18

Chattanooga Christian 17

Ezell Harding 16

Briarcrest 15

Memphis East 15

Chattanooga Central 15

Clarksville 14

Science Hill 14

Webb School of Knoxville 14

Ridgeway 14

Notre Dame 13

Okay, what about CAK and Silverdale for starters....

I think you may be mistaken here volgen, private schools (at least the small DI privates) can't afford to hire a coach who teaches something that isn't needed by the school any more than a public school can. I'm thinking that I know several head and assistant coaches for public schools, however, who actually work at other schools in the county where they were needed and coach a sport for a local highschool. Seems to me that would be a Metro advantage over the privates...hire a great coach anywhere in the system and he can still coach. But, again, I am most familiar with the small privates in Chattanooga, which seem to be somewhat different from many of the middle and west Tenn privates.

Think about guys like Rankin and Rector, two of the best coaches in state and never coached at a private school. It's the heart that makes the coach, not the school. While private schools may use money to pull in some of the more prestigous coaches, I don't think that overall privates schools have the better coaches.

I think overall and in general I`m right Baldcoach. There could be exceptions though. For example, the last football hire at JCM was gonna be someone who was black. Steve Spurrior could have volunteered to come coach for free but he would not have gotten the job. At public schools they normally just hire from whoever applies for the job. Private schools are more apt to look around and go seek out a coach personally. That just hardly ever happens with public schools that I know of. Public schools normally use an AD or even a principal to make the hire. If that principal does not 100 % support ahtletics then chances are they aren`t 100% comitted to who they hire. Most private schools have an athletic board that is normally comprised of parents whose kids play ball. They certainly have a vested interest in hiring a good coach.

Also, if private schools claim that their teachers teachers make less money but want to teach there because of smaller class sizes then I`m sure the same would hold true that a football coach would come there for similar reasons.

We had a really good assistant baseball coach at JCM who taught at another school, but the downside to that was he taught at an elementary school and they didn`t let out until an hour after the high school did. Plus the high school is set up in block periods and the last block of school for athletes is set up to be for sports. So he could never be there for the full practice. But it was accept that or talk an unqualified teacher to help out.

I`m not saying this is an advantage for private schools, but I am saying that private schools normally are more efficient at getting the best candidate for their school. Public schools can do the same (and some do) if they have the proper administrative and fan support.

Plus the high school is set up in block periods and the last block of school for athletes is set up to be for sports. So he could never be there for the full practice.

This statement raises some questions for me. At my school we always have sports after the end of the last period. In soccer for instance we usually start at 2:45pm and work them until at least 5:30pm. Football goes a lot longer on some days can be as late as 7:30pm.

I would be interested to know the averages for practice for most schools. I don't believe it is a Public/Private issue here. It is linked directly to how hard the coaches will push the athletes to get better. When I was working with our girls soccer team in a scrimmage with Hillsboro this August, I noticed that the Hillsboro Football team were already in pads when we arrived in the heat of the day (approx 98 degrees). They were still there working hard when we left the scrimmage approx 3 hours later. I don't think it is a coincidence that Hillsboro is playing in the 4A Championship game in the Boro.

Good coaches, public or private don't have to tolerate kids who won't put in the time. We have a simple rule for all our sports, if you don't stay the whole practice, you forfeit the right to play the next game.

Edited by OnlineLC

I think it is simplistic to say that private school coaches are better than public school coaches and also incorrect. I don't think that you will find any private school head coaches better than Gary Rankin or George Quarles.

I do think that where private schools tend to have an advantage is in assistant coaches both in the number of assistants they have and the quality of those assistants.

BTW. My hat is off to OnlineLC. He is an example of a quality assistant coach at a private school. He also went back to school to get certified to teach after a successful career in another field. CPA is blessed to have him as a teacher and a coach. <_<