Who will be the team to beat in 5a

lol why do all you guys from yalls area have these referings like the past 10 years or the past 6 years. Go to the library and look back about 50 years up to now and see who has dominated who. This really has nothing to do with this topic but if we had a top 5 best teams ever in Tennessee the top two would be from Chattanooga and possibly top 3! But ya do that research and get back to me alright! Ill wait for you and dont try to lie either because i know the facts i jsut want you to get some info on this so u will know for yourself!

50 years!!! The type of game played then was totally different. Those guys came to practice with their helmets in their back pockets. A lot of the best teams until the 60s were those you never heard of in segregated high schools. You need to look that up.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for anyone who thinks gallatin will be good next year your wrong. the upcoming seniors on that team cares nothing but themselves. they think that they are a "dynasty" when they haven't done much of anything. sure you say they have won two region titles, but when you look at those two past years you see that not one of them started but boo butler. they have a rude awakening coming for them next year. we'll see how long this dynasty last.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

lol why do all you guys from yalls area have these referings like the past 10 years or the past 6 years. Go to the library and look back about 50 years up to now and see who has dominated who. This really has nothing to do with this topic but if we had a top 5 best teams ever in Tennessee the top two would be from Chattanooga and possibly top 3! But ya do that research and get back to me alright! Ill wait for you and dont try to lie either because i know the facts i jsut want you to get some info on this so u will know for yourself!

Yawn,

We're back to this subject again. Look, anything before about 1980 is ancient history on this board. The kids that are playing the game now (and a Lot of posters on this board to be honest) were born between 1989-1992.....they weren't even alive for the Challenger explosion or Chernobyl. They were born about the time the Berlin Wall came down for crying out loud!!! Plus, as Buford Pusser stated correctly above, anything before desegregation really holds no merit because it wasn't the best players playing the best players. I'd imagine some of the Memphis teams, Nashville Pearl, Nashville Cameron, the all-black school in Murfreesboro, etc. probably could have beat the pants off of the majority of the state "champs" of that time. Could you really imagine not having black athletes at many of these high schools. The big schools in Middle and West Tennessee wouldn't even hardly have a team if you took those kids off of them.

Seriously, imagine Riverdale without the Fernando Bryant's, Eric Locke's, Alvin Duke's, Gaston Miller's of the world. Imagine Smyrna without the Larry Daniels', Marsalous Johnson's, Rod Wilks, etc. That was a watered-down product then that really doesn't hold much merit now that the contributions of the black athlete have been realized. With that said, I don't think there is much doubt that in 5A, the power is concentrated in Middle Tennessee, particularly in Regions 4 and 6. Now, with Region 5 really stepping up their coaching to match the talent in Metro Nashville, its really not a contest. Now, there are the outliers like Ooltewah and White Station, that can play with anybody, but week to week, I don't think they are playing the combination of good athletes/good coaches that the Middle Tennessee teams are playing and therefore, not quite ready to play in that one game crapshoot against those battle tested Middle Tennessee teams.

Volman and I had a little battle going on here before the Smyrna-Ooltewah game where he thought this team that got beat 49-0 by Riverdale had NO CHANCE to beat the Owls. What I harkened back on in my analysis of that game is the schedule that each team played and the recent history of those programs. Smyrna had played three teams that had made state finals appearances in the past 4 years (Riverdale (X2), Brentwood, Ravenwood (became X2)). The Owls didn't play that type of comp week in and week out. To be honest, Ooltewah was much better than I expected them to be up close and they still couldn't beat Smyrna, who in all actuality, was probably was the 3rd best 5A team in Middle Tennessee. This is a Bulldog team that struggled against Oakland (another program that has won a state title in the past 10 years), lost to Ravenwood at home, and got cell block initiated against Riverdale. But they were tested and knew how to finish ballgames.

well middle tennessee has been well represented recently & w/ alot of their players returning looks like those teams will be tough again. Now whether it will come from Rutherford Co or Williamson Co.. time will tell but should be a great year.

Well, if you want to get this one going...I think Williamson County has become the better football county top to bottom! Rutherford Co. only has two legitimate powers, Smyrna and Riverdale. True, Smyrna was state champs this year, but Maryville, Fulton, and Alcoa would have beat them! Also, as much as I respect Coach A...Riverdale is on a slow decline. Not his fault, the talent is not there. Duke, Locke, King, Miller....where is that great Riverdale tailback? The leading rusher this year was a white quarterback!