What's Goin' On With Oak Ridge Football Off Season

Cactus Jack

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a huge Stanton Stevens fan. Lusier had many more athletes for many more years, but could never get to the big game. Yet Stevens comes in and takes them all the way. I don't think the tallent level was near what Lusier had had in previous years. I do agree that something needs to be done, and believe me Stanton will take care of it. As far as working out the week after the season ends, could be a way to lose several players from burn out. You have to give the kids a couple of weeks off to gather themselves and get back in the mode. It also gives a coach a chance to spend a couple of weeks with his family he hasn't seen in 18 weeks. Remember they are off for 2 weeks for Christmas. Many teams take a couple of weeks off. It also becomes a time when coaches go visit teams still playing in the playoff and championships games to pick up on some ideas, habits, and additions. I was able to view AE before the Stevens era, and afterwards. It has slipped since he left, not to the extreme it was before he got there, but not a disciplined team that he required.

A 'break' is what they EARN after winning!

This season looked to me as if they took their break during the regular season, thusly they need to WORK!

As to beating R'dale Stevens is so proud of, there are MANY at R'dale that thought the 2003 and 2004 Oak Ridge teams were MUCH better.

If the players do not have the heart and want to work then things are REALLY bad up there. :ph34r:

Bashing the coaching staff is certainly not helping anything. Some of these posters "predicted" there would be 4-5 coaching departures when the season was over, that did not happen. Now I see "predictions" of a 3-7 season, that, in all probability will not happen either. You have made your point you don't like Stevens and you are second guessing him and his staff on every thing possible.

Personally I like what I see, not only for next year but for several years to come. There is some outstanding talent rising and Stevens and his staff are doing a great job in helping these young athletes develop. I say to Stevens and his staff ignore the detractors, you would not be where you are today if you did not have the talent and ability to lead. As for the young athletes, ignore the detractors and listen to your coaches, and in using an old cliche, Be all that you can be.

Oak Ridge is not the only team with problems. The DB coaches are constantly being "challenged" for not going all the way even though they have some of the top talent in the state, not only athletes, but coaching staff. Both teams will figure it out without the needless bashing.

Not even going to respond about the weight lifting just starting Monday, that's just not true at all. I have talked to many coaches (still waiting on those four or five that are leaving by the way) and it appears that many coaches have taken stock and accepted the fact that they did a bad job last season.

Hopefully lessons were learned.

I was glad to see Fulton replace Jefferson County on the schedule, opening at Fulton will be an interesting game.

I think the Riverdale teams of 2003 and 2004 both were much better then the Riverdale of 2005, but stll finally beating them in 2005 was a great achievment. I guess I need to recount Lussier's playoff records: 1999 lost in Quarterfinals to eventual Champion Sevier County at Sevier County, finished 12-1, 2000 lost to a very good Kingsport DB team, (like last years loss of Connor Gulmire hurt the 06 team, that year the loss of Mikel Resnick killed us against DB in the playoffs, in an earlier 21-10 win at Kingsport, Resnick had made 13 tackles, in the playoff game without him Adonis Johnson killed us on sweeps to his side) 2002 lost in 2nd Round at Kingsport, close game. 2003: Great win at Kingsport in Quarterfinals, then lost to Riverdale in the Semifinals, also a very close game, tipped pass on Riverdale goal line with seconds left was intercepted. 2004: another great win at home against Kingsport avenging an earlier loss to DB, then Lost to Riverdale at Riverdale in Semifinals, led the first half, game turned on a Riverdale fumble that they recovered in the air and scored with OR up one score, note that Riverdale went on to blow out Franklin in the finals 35-0 to win the State. This Riverdale team was loaded with great athletes and might have been Gary Rankin's best team.

Also, I think the teams in this region are pretty good and what happens is they beat each other, so the records aren't as good, William Blount is dangerous every year, usually do not start well, but can spring upsets, have to their credit two wins at Kingsport in the playoffs in recent years....McMinn County, has a lot good athletes, this year they were very athletic, their problem is inconsistency, if they get those guys to play, you got a dogfight...Ooltewah, calling them average is crazy, they had very good teams in 01 and 02 (Region Champions), dipped a bit and came back in 05 (upset OR) and 06 (State Finals), and Benny Monroe is just going to keep getting better down there...so the argument that Lussier won against a weak district is indeed weak....so 62-14 against these teams is pretty good...

So, that is all past now, lets hope the program gets going now, we do have a lot of holes to fill, similar to last year, the main thing to do is get as many guys as you can out of the halls and out there working the weights, running, throwing and then find the players in spring or early fall and surprise people this fall...be solid in the lines, and you can win...Stanton faces the same schedule Lussier did, with the exception of Fulton coming on board if thats correct, and that will be tough with them coming off a State Championship..they are well coached and have good skill position talent.

How many starters does OR have coming back?

Lost the QB, both running backs, one receiver and 1/2 the lines on offense. Lost one good linebacker in Troy Venable and most of the defensive line, 1/2 the secondary.

The kicker, who is excellent, Will Hudson is back, in the secondary and at receiver, kick returner DeMarcus Rogers returns, he has a lot of ability and can be a game breaker.

Tyler Clark # 18 could step in and could be pretty good at QB as he split time the last five games after Connor got hurt...

Need to find running backs, but the lines got to get a lot better for them to run behind.

The freshman team was pretty good last year and I would expect the ones that come back out should see a lot of playing time mixing in with seniors and juniors, heard a lot are mumbling around about not playing so that needs to be taken care of...get em out there....any player can contribute...any player can make a difference!!!

Tank,

Report on the meetings where no coaches show up and only half the players. Go look at the weight room and equipment room. Report on the fact that the winning percentage is the worst since 1948 for any OR coach. I'll debate facts with you just not emotion. The coaching changes are coming so hold onto your hat. Oh, and by the way, I was wrong, after watching the lack of preparation I predicted 6-4 on here last August. It was only 5-5. You don't have the guts to tell it like it is because they won't give you access to the program if you are really truthful.

Ole Dad

Not even going to respond about the weight lifting just starting Monday, that's just not true at all. I have talked to many coaches (still waiting on those four or five that are leaving by the way) and it appears that many coaches have taken stock and accepted the fact that they did a bad job last season.

Hopefully lessons were learned.

I was glad to see Fulton replace Jefferson County on the schedule, opening at Fulton will be an interesting game.

Tank,

Report on the meetings where no coaches show up and only half the players. Go look at the weight room and equipment room. Report on the fact that the winning percentage is the worst since 1948 for any OR coach. I'll debate facts with you just not emotion. The coaching changes are coming so hold onto your hat. Oh, and by the way, I was wrong, after watching the lack of preparation I predicted 6-4 on here last August. It was only 5-5. You don't have the guts to tell it like it is because they won't give you access to the program if you are really truthful.

Ole Dad

Best of Luck Wild Cats.....It's not an easy fix as we Dragons know. Don't let the program totally dive before taking action. It is a long way to the top but the fall is fast and hard.

You are right I should write stories about all of this, because someone who lives in Florida and I don't even know who they are (because they have this screen name that they bash a coach under) sent me a message on coacht.com.

Please.

Why don't you call me, give me your name and then man up as to why you don't like the current coach. I have an idea why. You questioning my guts is laughable. I will not write stories based on your closet prejudices, sorry man ... can't do it. My number is 220-5508, I am in the office usually between 10 p.m. and 3 a.m.

Hey, write a letter to the editor even, so the readers of Oak Ridge can see how concerned you are about things. Of course, you will have to give your real name and address so we can confirm you are the author. Someone who is so concerned, should get it off their chest, all of this just isn't healthy for ya.

I know players have been working out, I have no idea about coaches meetings, although I have talked to just about every coach on the staff ... even those four or five that you are reporting as gone.

Trust me, I will not get in some internet battle with you ... time is too precious to allow that. I would suggest that you contact those in charge about your discontent with the current head coach. I am sure several anonymous people have called in and done just the same.

I cover high school sports. The main focus of high school sports happens to be the children who are playing them. Don't we make them grow up fast as it is, without having to put together this internet lynch mob (don't take that too personal) because the coach led the team to a 5-5 year? I mean, there have been other coaches at Oak Ridge who have went 5-5 and bounced back to have fairly decent careers.

Try this, support coach Stevens just one more time. If, in just his third season at Oak Ridge, he greatly disappoints you down there, then you can start circulating your petitions.

You think I am a bad sports writer, I think you are something far worse. I like where I stand in this one.

Have a great holiday season.

Oak Ridge

Tank,

Ole Dad

Edited by TankTalk