What's Goin' On With Oak Ridge Football Off Season

Cactus Jack

Tank,

Great article on the weight training on Tuesday. Was that article done to confirm that the few players who have been working out have been doing it own their own with an ex-wildcat teaching and leading them? You confirmed all of our suspicions about the lack of effort by the coaches in charge. Missed you at the Christmas tournament down here. Would have liked to chatted.

Thanks for the article,

Ole Dad

I'm a racist now? (closet prejudices, lynch mob) Great. I'm glad you told me, I didn't know. I have sent you personal emails that you have failed to answer. I have no problem with the coaches....just loosing ...especially because of lack of committment, organization and preparation...all of which I perceive are the only issues. I was supporting OR football when you were still pooping green and I will be when you are writing for the Nahville Tennessean. I will support it financially and emotinally, win or loose, but I think many of us expect a total commtittment to winning. I'm the one laughing. How are all those meetings that you reported were going to happen working out? And by the way, they did only start working out last week.

Ole Dad

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew what he was talking about. What is 82% nothing but a bunch of good seasons. May be next time you respond you should get your facts straight. The worst winning percentage in OR coaching history since 1948 belongs to the great Emory Hale during his first two seasons 69-70. After two season he was 14-6, 70% and that is fact based. He was 36-16 in his first 5 seasons with a 6-4 and a 5-5 seasons. Do the math and that comes out to 69%. I guess for some reason you missed that when you were quoting worst winning percentage since 1948. Sounds like your responses are a little more emotional than fact based. Anothor fact is I'm pretty sure that unless the team shows some dramatic improvement next year, Steven's won't get 5 years to match that.

I agree that next year there needs to be improvement, but for Stevens nothing short of a state championship will be good enough for most, I don't think he will get the same consideration that all of the other coaches have with their 9-1, 10-2 type seasons with nothig to show but a lot of wins and the occasional district championship.

Are you crazy, what self respecting fan would ever admit that coming from Oak Ridge, with only 1 State Championship and 1 runner up, since 1991 that could never be the reason. Well at least in the new coach Stevens era.

I knew what he was talking about. What is 82% nothing but a bunch of good seasons. May be next time you respond you should get your facts straight. The worst winning percentage in OR coaching history since 1948 belongs to the great Emory Hale during his first two seasons 69-70. After two season he was 14-6, 70% and that is fact based. He was 36-16 in his first 5 seasons with a 6-4 and a 5-5 seasons. Do the math and that comes out to 69%. I guess for some reason you missed that when you were quoting worst winning percentage since 1948. Sounds like your responses are a little more emotional than fact based. Anothor fact is I'm pretty sure that unless the team shows some dramatic improvement next year, Steven's won't get 5 years to match that.

I agree that next year there needs to be improvement, but for Stevens nothing short of a state championship will be good enough for most, I don't think he will get the same consideration that all of the other coaches have with their 9-1, 10-2 type seasons with nothig to show but a lot of wins and the occasional district championship.

Are you crazy, what self respecting fan would ever admit that coming from Oak Ridge, with only 1 State Championship and 1 runner up, since 1991 that could never be the reason. Well at least in the new coach Stevens era.

I will be happy to answer your emotional response with facts.

When The Great Emory Hale took over, the football program was on the rocks for the six years prior (1963-1968) to his arrival. In fact the overall record for the six years prior to Emory Hales arrival was 35-21-4 or a winning percentage of 58%.

The record for the six years prior to Stanton Stevens arrival (1999-2004) was 62-14 for a winning percentage of 82%. Hardly a program on the rocks.

Of course as you point out, Stanton has managed to turn that 82% into a program on the rocks in two short years.

And those are the facts.

Ole Dad

Edited by Ole Dad

When The Great Emory Hale took over, the football program was on the rocks for the six years prior (1963-1968) to his arrival. In fact the overall record for the six years prior to Emory Hales arrival was 35-21-4 or a winning percentage of 58%.

The record for the six years prior to Stanton Stevens arrival (1999-2004) was 62-14 for a winning percentage of 82%. Hardly a program on the rocks.

Of course as you point out, Stanton has managed to turn that 82% into a program on the rocks in two short years.

And those are the facts.

Ole Dad

I've been reading the OR posts and sympathize with the faultering football program (being a Dragon Fan you know I understand). Do you think that it is all the coach or a change in player attitude or both? I am not a huge fan of the OR coach but I don't remember any wildcat this past season just being outstanding (good) but not outstanding like players in the past from OR (not being ugly just an observation). Anyway, best of luck and I hope things get better for the fans but most of all the kids who work their butts off to make the team a success.

Region 2 5A Regular season standings vs 2 5A opponents since 2001

W's - L's

1. Oak Ridge 32 - 10

2. Ooltewah 31 - 11

3. William Blount 24 - 18

4. Farragut 23 - 19

4. McMinn County 23 - 19

6. Soddy Daisy 20 - 22

7. Bradley Central 8 - 34

8. Heritage 6 - 36

Overall Record including playoff's

1. Oak Ridge 59 - 18

2. Ooltewah 52 - 21

3. Farragut 40 - 28

4. McMinn County 39 - 28

5. Soddy Daisy 33 - 31

6. William Blount 32 - 35

7. Bradley Central 13 - 47

8. Heritage 10 - 50

Oak Ridge is still a power the numbers do not lie.

I didn't realize Lussier was back? He must be since this data is mostly from his coaching.

What does it say about the current "non-playoff" situation? Heck, we couldn't even make the playoffs under the Ron Brown rule.

Ole Dad

Region 2 5A Regular season standings vs 2 5A opponents since 2001

W's - L's

1. Oak Ridge 32 - 10

2. Ooltewah 31 - 11

3. William Blount 24 - 18

4. Farragut 23 - 19

4. McMinn County 23 - 19

6. Soddy Daisy 20 - 22

7. Bradley Central 8 - 34

8. Heritage 6 - 36

Overall Record including playoff's

1. Oak Ridge 59 - 18

2. Ooltewah 52 - 21

3. Farragut 40 - 28

4. McMinn County 39 - 28

5. Soddy Daisy 33 - 31

6. William Blount 32 - 35

7. Bradley Central 13 - 47

8. Heritage 10 - 50

Oak Ridge is still a power the numbers do not lie.

Ole Dad

That you think Oak Ridge is a program on the rocks is not a fact, just your opinion. Your feelings toward Coach Stevens and his job performance is just your opinion. The hard truth is you can quote all the stats you want and those will indeed be facts but as soon as you begin to tell us what those stats (facts) mean then you begin to state your opinion.

My opinion is that I like Coach Stevens, the assistant coaches, the players, and all the Oak Ridge posters on CoachT.com. I choose to have a positive outlook for next season and be positive (most of the time but not all the time) on CoachT.com.

I respect the opinions of others on here but I do not accept opinions as facts just because someone tells me to.

Happy New Year to all and go get'em Wildcats!

So what you are telling me is Coach Stevens has done a great job and no one should question the devotion or organization he brings to the program?

That is one way to look at things I guess. I think we should do away with the scoring of all of these games and just give everyone a trophy so we hurt no ones feelings. That's the way the mommies do it in Little League now. We should try it in high school also.

Ole Dad

That you think Oak Ridge is a program on the rocks is not a fact, just your opinion. Your feelings toward Coach Stevens and his job performance is just your opinion. The hard truth is you can quote all the stats you want and those will indeed be facts but as soon as you begin to tell us what those stats (facts) mean then you begin to state your opinion.

My opinion is that I like Coach Stevens, the assistant coaches, the players, and all the Oak Ridge posters on CoachT.com. I choose to have a positive outlook for next season and be positive (most of the time but not all the time) on CoachT.com.

I respect the opinions of others on here but I do not accept opinions as facts just because someone tells me to.

Happy New Year to all and go get'em Wildcats!

So what you are telling me is Coach Stevens has done a great job and no one should question the devotion or organization he brings to the program?

That is one way to look at things I guess. I think we should do away with the scoring of all of these games and just give everyone a trophy so we hurt no ones feelings. That's the way the mommies do it in Little League now. We should try it in high school also.

Ole Dad

Quote from Ole Dad <<So what you are telling me is Coach Stevens has done a great job and no one should question the devotion or organization he brings to the program?>>

Please, read my post and point out to everyone where I write anything close to that.

Quote from Ole Dad << That is one way to look at things I guess. >>

Of course, I never looked at things the way you said I looked at things so you can guess all you want BUT WHY? All I said was I like Coach Stevens, the assistant coaches, and the players. SORRY, BUT I REALLY DO!

Quote from Ole Dad << I guess. I think we should do away with the scoring of all of these games and just give everyone a trophy so we hurt no ones feelings. That's the way the mommies do it in Little League now. We should try it in high school also.

>>

What are you talking about? I’ve looked at all the messages in this tread and can find no mention to anything you are bringing up.

I think you misunderstood my post as an attack on you. If you reread my post you will see I said I respect your opinion as well as all Oak Ridge fans opinions. This is not the first time I have posted that all Wildcat fans SHOULD post their opinions even if it makes us look like we are fighting against one another.

My point is that nobody should try to post opinions and say they are facts. I love reading CoachT.com and I enjoy you posts, but I reserve the right to think for myself and do not appreciate when you say things I did not say.

You may have a tough time believing this but Oak Ridge won all EIGHT State Championships before CoachT.com was born and WHEN they win another it will not because of posts on CoachT.com.

PS

I know you have insulted other Oak Ridge fans with the name of YELLOW DOG and that name fits me.

~~WillieTheYellowDogWildcat! GO ORHS WILDCATS!

Not trying to insult anyone. A Yellow Dog fan is one that supports the team regardless and never questions the results. I expect the coach to be as passionate as the fans and committed to success. Many OR fans want to turn a blind eye to the results and do the "I support the coaches, players, team, etc" no matter what. If they were doing everything possible to win then I think that is an admirable postion. Compare the prepartion and devotion at Maryville and Alcoa and Riverdale to what our bunch does and we are a joke. And that is my opinion." And if that peaves off the Mommies on here then I am sorry.

Ole Dad

Quote from Ole Dad <<So what you are telling me is Coach Stevens has done a great job and no one should question the devotion or organization he brings to the program?>>

Please, read my post and point out to everyone where I write anything close to that.

Quote from Ole Dad << That is one way to look at things I guess. >>

Of course, I never looked at things the way you said I looked at things so you can guess all you want BUT WHY? All I said was I like Coach Stevens, the assistant coaches, and the players. SORRY, BUT I REALLY DO!

Quote from Ole Dad << I guess. I think we should do away with the scoring of all of these games and just give everyone a trophy so we hurt no ones feelings. That's the way the mommies do it in Little League now. We should try it in high school also.

>>

What are you talking about? I’ve looked at all the messages in this tread and can find no mention to anything you are bringing up.

I think you misunderstood my post as an attack on you. If you reread my post you will see I said I respect your opinion as well as all Oak Ridge fans opinions. This is not the first time I have posted that all Wildcat fans SHOULD post their opinions even if it makes us look like we are fighting against one another.

My point is that nobody should try to post opinions and say they are facts. I love reading CoachT.com and I enjoy you posts, but I reserve the right to think for myself and do not appreciate when you say things I did not say.

You may have a tough time believing this but Oak Ridge won all EIGHT State Championships before CoachT.com was born and WHEN they win another it will not because of posts on CoachT.com.

PS

I know you have insulted other Oak Ridge fans with the name of YELLOW DOG and that name fits me.

~~WillieTheYellowDogWildcat! GO ORHS WILDCATS!

can you believe it??? only 8 short months away and it starts again. the time of year were boys become men and men become legends. now there is a lot of talk about how bad the team has become and there is some truth to it and some has been overplayed. oak ridge is an exceptionable school, thats all there is too it. with that comes the price. the price is that people will talk and be against the coaches. i personally disagree with the way stevens does somethings but thats his way of coaching. the fans of oak ridge are used to being under a strict routine coach like coach lussier. but there is a new era in OR football and i dont care who is coaching as long as The mighty wildcats are winning. so to those who are upset i understand, to those who have hope i understand.

so maybe stevens is the future of OR, maybe hes not i dont know. but i do know that this community will not take losing very long. so for his coaching tenor at OR he better win.

But for the program it is best said with these words

ROLL CATS ROll!

TC