What's Goin' On With Oak Ridge Football Off Season

Cactus Jack

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be shocked if Miner went 2 karns.

Just doesn't seem like a smart move and he seems to be a smart guy.

After the season we had anything is possible I guess.

Yep, When Farragut beats U the OR world becomes upside down. :thumb:

You have it all wrong... the city isn't growing, there is no new growth to speak of. The industry in the area is becoming a group of 11 PHD's with a poofy headed blonde to answer the phone as she chews gum and all 12 of them run the business. The giant bomb plant is fast becoming a thing of the past and new people to the area don't move into Oak Ridge. People my age (in our 60's) are the largest group, and we don't have high school age children.

Oak Ridge is fast becoming a retirement community.

All kidding aside it seams that most of the Eng/Tech types at ORL move to Farragut area. Our Church in Farragut was full of them.

Edited by rigger101

bounder, the reason I ask is because as you know, in high school teaching positions are the key part of changing jobs and schools and school systems. But if all these guys are just volunteers, it is feasible that they could go if Jeff got hired. But I do know that Karns is only in the beginning of the hiring process, and they want somebody that's been a head coach. So to say anybody is leaving OR to go to Karns is a bit premature. BTW Can you get me the phone number of the poofy headed blonde that chews gum and answers the phone, sounds like my type.

Edited by ORidgeKat

Can't get you the blond's phone number as she's working the south end of Gay Street this weekend and will busy.

I agree.... all this talk is premature but ain't it fun? I'm not sure but I think Chris Layton and Jeff Miner are teachers. And Jon McBrayer would probably do well at Karns. And he still might get some of the others as assistants.

Can't get you the blond's phone number as she's working the south end of Gay Street this weekend and will busy.

I agree.... all this talk is premature but ain't it fun? I'm not sure but I think Chris Layton and Jeff Miner are teachers. And Jon McBrayer would probably do well at Karns. And he still might get some of the others as assistants.

I'm very glad to hear you guys talking about new head coaches who might want to come to Karns. There's been a lot of discord related to the football situation and an apparent lack of a "winning program" attitude - which I guess is pretty hard to come by if you've never had a winning program. :thumb: Anyway, do you think Coach Miner/Minor is a guy who can deal with these types of issues in addition to the everyday responsibilities of head coaching? What are his current responsibilities at Oak Ridge?

I see that someone brought up the 33 state titles ORHS owns--the most of any public high school in the state. I'm not going to participate in this discussion regarding football, but, as my son is sick today, I have the time to post this summary of the state titles we have won here at ORHS just for clarity's sake. Here are the numbers:

7 Boys cross country

7 Football

7 Boys track

3 Girls basketball

3 Girls cross country

2 Boys basketball

2 Tennis

1 Boys soccer

1 Girls track

There's also at least one in swimming, which is not a TSSAA sport.

Edited by AEtheridge

O.R. should never go 5-5; that's kinda like UT going 5-6. Should not ever happen. Down years should be 7-3 (O.R.) and 8-4 (UT). Maybe they'll get back on track this year..

Didn't they go 4-6 in 1986. Didn't they go 5-5 the year after Joe Gatis won the state. Didn't they go 5-5 in one of Lusier years and didn't make the playoffs. Matter of fact why didn't they win the state the year they had Adrian (don't know his last name heck of bball player) and Duke (a westside knoxville native) I think his last name was Booker.

I don't know the answer to this question but what was the senior class records when they were in junior high or little league? From my understanding Clinton middle school beat the mess out of both of the junior highs when these kids were in 8th grade. I don't even know if this was true. But I heard that they did not dominate like Oak Ridge programs have done before. Football is not all about X's and O'x it is sometimes about the Jims and the Joes.

From what I hear Oak Ridge has a very talented sphomore and freshmen class. I think Stevens could have got involved in the championship hangover (interviews, clinics, meetings, a long season, the feeling of satisfaction, etc. etc.) It happens to a lot of coaches. That is when the assistance must work harder to keep the program going. If none of the assistance have the balls to take charge when the head is lacking then they will not make great head coaches. Sometimes you have to challenge the head (in a professional and positive way). If he doesn't take it then his future will be short also. Maryville has former head coaches on their staff. This allows the head man to do the things that come with reaching the championship. Fulton has a former head coach on the staff. Matter of fact he coached the present head coach. Maybe the staff at Oak Ridge is still maturing. I think they will get better and better. BUT only TIME will tell.