What's Goin' On With Oak Ridge Football Off Season

Cactus Jack

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you believe it??? only 8 short months away and it starts again. the time of year were boys become men and men become legends. now there is a lot of talk about how bad the team has become and there is some truth to it and some has been overplayed. oak ridge is an exceptionable school, thats all there is too it. with that comes the price. the price is that people will talk and be against the coaches. i personally disagree with the way stevens does somethings but thats his way of coaching. the fans of oak ridge are used to being under a strict routine coach like coach lussier. but there is a new era in OR football and i dont care who is coaching as long as The mighty wildcats are winning. so to those who are upset i understand, to those who have hope i understand.

so maybe stevens is the future of OR, maybe hes not i dont know. but i do know that this community will not take losing very long. so for his coaching tenor at OR he better win.

But for the program it is best said with these words

ROLL CATS ROll!

TC

I would urge all who support and love Oak Ridge Football to question School Board and Administration future support of the program above and beyond who is coach. There are some rumblings that they may be on the brink of de-emphazing football. This great tradition may be in trouble and it may not be just because of coaching, so check it out, question them. As an example, I do think it is nice that we are getting a new basketball arena, it is long overdue and will have a positive impact on basketball in Oak Ridge, however, there never seems to be funding available for major upgrades that are needed at Blankenship Field, and most of the upgrades that have been completed have been paid for by money raised by the Boosters Club and the Quarterback Clubs, who have taken on capital projects that they really should not have to. SO, if football is really going to continue to be important to those I question here, there should be some money spent on Blankenship as soon as the ORHS Renovation is complete. Also, I might point out that not much was done for the football area at ORHS except some cosmetic touches and they actually lost space in the renovation, while basketball gained new offices...so go figure....but question and vote if you support ORHS Football's future!!!! No matter who is coach, the support he needs may not be there...

OakRidgeCat, I understand what you are saying, but then again you have to look at what is possible. R'dale has a new coach for them and a COMPLETE new offense this year, but they still made the playoffs and went deep into them.

Do y'all need a new Coach? I have NO idea as I am not there to see what the program is doing. Yes, I will agree that I am hard headed and old school when it comes to football. I still remember when the team at MTSU hauled hay in the summer for their strength training, and that was in addition to their regular practice. It was the one reason I pushed my son extra hard and it showed as he was a much stronger lineman than the average kid his size in the state. It was with NO steroids or suppliments either.

As to having only a population of 28,000 with only one high school and only two middle schools. Try it in a town with a larger population but THREE other high schools the same size competeting for players. Add to this two more in the same county doing it also. Then we have one high school that is 1A bringing up the rest. It pulls kids from both Blackman and R'dale. Y'all have the kids, but like other schools they are not coming out for football for some reason. A prime example of this is Franklin County. They have a great coach, but alot of good players are sitting in the stands instead of coming out to play. What is the answer? I would really love to know as it is hurting the game across the state.

No real football is not as comfortable in mid July and August as it is sitting on the couch in the air conditioning playing Madden, but it is more enjoyable to me at least.

Merry Christmas to everyone in the State. May y'alls be merry and bright and loaded with Bowl games to watch! :unsure:

I was reading thru ALL of this Oak Ridge stuff and got to this part. Lost Old Dad, I totally agree with you. Oak Ridge doesn't want to grow too much or they'll be building another high school and the talent will get watered down.

Now THAT would really get the people from Oak Ridge talking! Good Luck to the Wildcats.

I would urge all who support and love Oak Ridge Football to question School Board and Administration future support of the program above and beyond who is coach. There are some rumblings that they may be on the brink of de-emphazing football. This great tradition may be in trouble and it may not be just because of coaching, so check it out, question them. As an example, I do think it is nice that we are getting a new basketball arena, it is long overdue and will have a positive impact on basketball in Oak Ridge, however, there never seems to be funding available for major upgrades that are needed at Blankenship Field, and most of the upgrades that have been completed have been paid for by money raised by the Boosters Club and the Quarterback Clubs, who have taken on capital projects that they really should not have to. SO, if football is really going to continue to be important to those I question here, there should be some money spent on Blankenship as soon as the ORHS Renovation is complete. Also, I might point out that not much was done for the football area at ORHS except some cosmetic touches and they actually lost space in the renovation, while basketball gained new offices...so go figure....but question and vote if you support ORHS Football's future!!!! No matter who is coach, the support he needs may not be there...

There is no doubt that a new gym was needed at the school, I hope they build one that is state-of-art. The nicer the better, with that said, WHY was there no money budgeted for Blankenship?. How long is the school board going to rely soley on the generous efforts of the boosters club and quarterback club, and others, in order to just maintain the stadium. It is in dire needs of improvements across the board. What about expansion? How about extending the upper bleachers on the home side out to the stairs? How about building a cement block building big enough to house a locker room for both teams.

How do we get this done? Elect one or more former members of the football team to the school board. Someone who has a desire to help our school system, and has a clue about the football tradition in Oak Ridge. I can think of many who have the education and background, who still call Oak Ridge home, that would serve the school system well.

Edited by catback

I was reading thru ALL of this Oak Ridge stuff and got to this part. Lost Old Dad, I totally agree with you. Oak Ridge doesn't want to grow too much or they'll be building another high school and the talent will get watered down.

Now THAT would really get the people from Oak Ridge talking! Good Luck to the Wildcats.

There are many tradition rich programs in the state like Oak Ridge. Gallatin, Franklin, Dickson County, and Lebanon are a few to speak of in the Middle Tennessee area. The talent will not get watered down with growth. This is ignorant talk if more people move into the area.

I didn’t see the football talent in Florida with the influx of new families, it went up instead. I didn’t see talent in the tradition rich programs of Middle Tennessee go down with new schools popping up all over the place as new families move in and call it home. One thing I have experience in the area that I live in, talent doesn’t get water down, and it expands and becomes even more competitive.

Embrace Oak Ridge football heritage, fix up Blankenship field with the improvements of the newer football fields while embracing the growth in the area. It has and will make you proud.

You have it all wrong... the city isn't growing, there is no new growth to speak of. The industry in the area is becoming a group of 11 PHD's with a poofy headed blonde to answer the phone as she chews gum and all 12 of them run the business. The giant bomb plant is fast becoming a thing of the past and new people to the area don't move into Oak Ridge. People my age (in our 60's) are the largest group, and we don't have high school age children.

Oak Ridge is fast becoming a retirement community.

Edited by bounder