Oakland vs. Riverdale

Oaklandpower06

I know exactly what oaklandpower06 is talking about. There was a lot of bad blood b/t Siegel and Oakland and it really came to a head 2 yrs ago. Big time.....

I think having a burning desire for your school to beat its most hated rival is a good thing. It is nothing that you other guys don't have too and you know it.

My son hated Riverdale ( even tho his 4 best friends in the world played for them) with all the passion a person could have. The top moment in HS was probably putting Riverdale out of the playoffs more than winning state. It is a big deal to get to taunt your friends and not have to take their crap.

I also agree that the Siegel/ Oakland rivalry is bigger than the Riverdale one. I also think Riverdale hates Smyrna worse than any other opponent. More than us.

I think for the younger folks, Siegel-Oakland is certainly THE RIVALRY and its really hard to argue against because you can feel it as soon as you enter either gym that there is something special when these 2 go at it, but all my life I learned to have a healthy hate for Riverdale and those games at RHS sometimes felt like you were in a pit, lucky to survive, those years of being at Oakland and playing against Riverdale were some special years. Both rivalries are great in their own way, and I dont think one is neccessarily better than the other

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2P im gonna disagree with you about us hating Smyrna more than oakland...i think oakland is our biggest once all of the former Riverdale student left blackman there really hasnt been much there except for the upsets they have given us in bastketball 1 Girls and a few boys games smyrna gets more out of beating us(even basketball should have seen them after the girls game during christmas tournament)

overall though it is different it used to be if you didnt beat oakland you didnt make the playoffs in football and in other sports one of us was usually on top so it was still us nowadays it is a little different and the rivalry isnt as big because there are 4 big high school in the boro not counting MTCS and eagleville (which there are a lot of kids on each team that live in our zone but oh well) but the rivalry is still jokeland i mean uh oakland

I think the football players hate Smyrna more than anyone....at least the ones that I have spoken with do.

SD...Sam and Parkhead may be buds now, but a few yrs back, Parkhead was on an id pretending to be Sam. He was trashing Marty Euverard, which Sam would have had no reason to do. However, Parkhead definitely had reason to hate Coach U as he was kicked off OHS's team... :D and I know why. d2d knows that I busted Parkhead on it. But that is water under the bridge now. So I will cease with the discussion.

Good luck to Oakland tonight .......Bash Brothers will be in true form and you will see J-Wade put on a shooting clinic tonight. Chaisson will demonstrate tonight why he should be a serious candidate for District MVP as he leads this disciplined Oakland team to another hard-earned W.

I always heard about the Riverdale Oakland rivalry but hope it gets played out by the rules on the court and not get out of hand. The umps better get a grip on this one early tonight or this will get roudy early. As 4 the smyrna i think smyrna wants it to be a bigger rivalry than it is bcaus of the football thing. One good year does not make a rivalry. Oakland and riverdale have had a thing for awhile. Good luck to all the players. Hope they show some good moves like both teams can, & hope they dont buckle under the presure. Wld love 4 riverdale to get this win just to keep everyone close in standings and make matters more interesting in the end.

I think Oakland will show up playing good ball tonight. I know some players on that team and they are hard workers and hate losing. The Cookeville game was a wake up call to them. Oakland by 10. King will dominate burkes in the coaching aspect as well. Chaisson will have his best game of the year so far tonight.

Edited by SiegelNation07

I think Oakland will show up playing good ball tonight. I know some players on that team and they are hard workers and hate losing. The Cookeville game was a wake up call to them. Oakland by 10. King will dominate burkes in the coaching aspect as well. Chaisson will have his best game of the year so far tonight.

It shouldnt even be a question the coaching edge definietely goes to Oakland, I just noticed something I think should be changed for various reason's, I had been debating all week whether I should go to SIegel/Blackman or Oakland/Riverdale. so I went at looked at the schedules to help with my decision and noticedI chose Oakland/Riverdale with hopes of going to see Blackman Siegel round two in a few weeks. Whovever does the scheduling need to stop scheduling the cross town rivalries on the same night that way true b-ball fans will get to see both games, plus schools would make more money if they were not competing for ticket sales when there is only one other game in town, obviously as rutherford county gets bigger there will be less ability to control this but I figure with four schools in the county(in the district this problem could be solved)

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"S BAAACCCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok let me stretch real quick. This is probably my first post in a year, probably the first time I have been on the site in a year actually. I'm not even going to read any of the three other pages. But judging by the way things look on page 4 it looks like Oakland is the favorite. I'm not here to argue or disput or mud sling but I will give my take on the game.

Oakland's Advantages = 1) Coaching. Coach King is the long time best coach in this district. I think coaching as a whole is up aroudn the district this year but Coach King always has the boys in red white and blue ready to play. While Burks has probably his best record to start a season since he has been at the Dale (17-3), I still have some questions. I think his X's and O's, game plans, and philosiphies are all good but I often question some of his player personal decisions. 2) Home Court Advantage/ Student Section. This game is at Oakland which I think counts for something and the student section will probably be superior to that of Riverdale's. 3) Minimum Mistakes. From my middle school years to my four years playing at Riverdale and two years since then there is one thing I have come to learn about Oakland and that is that you CAN BEAT THEM, but THEY DO NOT BEAT THEIRSELVES. You have to play ball to beat these boys. They just dont beat theirselves and they make you beat them.

Riverdale's Advantages = 1) Triple Threat/ Scott Thomas, Michael Young, Kevin Smith. While Oakland Probably has the best player in the district with Chaisson Allen I think Riverdale as the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best players (followed by Tyler Cutter as the 5th). These guys bring 3 very different, very athletic games to the table. All three are capable of taking over a game at any time and are tough to guard on the defensive end. 2) Riverdales Athleticism. I think across the board Riverdale is more athletic at every position. Athleticism is only half the battle and does'nt nessicarily translate into wins (ex. Blackman), but if they can utilize their atletic ability at every position and use it a strength it could be a big factor.

Since I played for Riverdale four years and basically have a brother on the team in Scott of course I will pull for them and know they are more than capable of winning based on which team shows up. But I would like to make a few more points and comments. First of all I think EJ Wilcox is going to have to play for us to win. In my eyes he has been a dissappointment this year and personally think Blake Howard and Trey Smith should start recieving some of his minutes.

I am looking forward to Kevin Smith guarding Chaisson Allen this year. The last two years he has been in the post and I think his length and athleticism will pose a different matchup Chaisson isnt use to seeing. I think Scott can shut down Jaffarious and I think Tanner Gore will make a big difference in the post. I expect him to match up with Kit.

One thing Riverdale does not have is a pure shooter, someone to kick out to, to help eliminate double teams. Although Scott can hit 3-5 threes a game he is more of a slasher, they dont have a player like me or michael lavender who specializes beyond the arc.

Well I will be at the game tonight and should be a great game. Hope everyone is doing well, and glad I could share some thoughts.