Ensworth basketball article

TheBigRedDog

Today's city paper has an article on Ensworth sophmore, Tavares Jefferson. He is just a sophmore and is the second leading scorer in Middle Tennessee. He, apparently, already has alot of interest from big time programs and may have offers. He is also their starting running back in football. The article also mentions, that he lives in Hermitage and two other Ensworth starters came from the same AAU program as Jefferson. That's a nice little commute to school. Interesting that all three talents would end up at Ensworth.

City Paper

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually all 3 are high academic students especially Miles and Gary Pope, and maybe just maybe their parents wanted them to attend a high school where academics are held to a higher standard. I will just leave it at that.

And don't use the argument that the public schools they attended hold the academic standards as high as Ensworth. Ask any of the 3 what school program was tougher and more demanding, the public school system they were a part of or Ensworth.

I am a graduate from a public school system and I can tell you I was not prepared for college like these kids will be.

QUOTE(tnladytiger @ Jan 25 2007 - 07:12 PM) 826346031[/snapback]

Actually all 3 are high academic students especially Miles and Gary Pope, and maybe just maybe their parents wanted them to attend a high school where academics are held to a higher standard. I will just leave it at that.

And don't use the argument that the public schools they attended hold the academic standards as high as Ensworth. Ask any of the 3 what school program was tougher and more demanding, the public school system they were a part of or Ensworth.

I am a graduate from a public school system and I can tell you I was not prepared for college like these kids will be.

well at $20,000/yr i would sure hope so.

by the way tavares' older bro. goes to mcgavock.............

QUOTE(CoachF @ Jan 25 2007 - 09:29 PM) 826346213[/snapback]

Funny, I never hear about the non- athletic kids from public schools getting these wonderful opportunities at schools like ensworth.

That's because they aren't written about on CoachT. There are many hundreds, if not thousands in our state that transfer from public to private at some point, and are not star athletes by any means, or not athletes at all.

QUOTE(Gerry Bertier @ Jan 26 2007 - 02:16 AM) 826346495[/snapback]

Any parent who can afford to send their child to Ensworth should!! If you have been on that campus you will see what a quality education they are receiving and the athletic opportunities given to them. You get what you pay for, and for these kids that means a lot.

You are correct, Ensworth is a wonderful institution and does provide an excellent learning environment for students. But what I am not understanding here is why people aren't saying what everyone already knows. Ensworth offers financial aid to certain students, some are athletes some are not. It is common knowledge that kids are being offered aid packages to attend this school so why not just say so.

Its my understand that in some cases, so far, once a kid starts at the school the first year or so the family is then asked to pay full tuition. Several kids have left school due to this situation...obviously not many of the top athletes have gone due to this though.

Just wanted to bring this point up because it seems no one else will say it. Its not always about geting what you pay for in these cases. Division I schools are able to offer financial aid to students. Just ask Brentwood Academy, MBA, John Paul II and others. Nothing wrong with that ...its all perfectly legal so stop tip toeing around the issue and just admit it. Ensworth will eventually be a top contender in many sports ..just as Brentwood Academy and MBA have been over the years for the same reasons. They can shop around for the most skilled athletes and offer them financial aid to come play for their school. I just don't understand why people are so shy about admitting this on this site.

Financial Aid is offered on a need be basis. Each family has to submit an application with supporting documentation of their income. There is a company in the east, I believe New Jersey, that all private schools in the U.S. that offer financial aid have to submit this information to. They determine how much aid a family is eligible to receive. They have to do this each year. If a family's income goes up then they are required to pay more tuition that year.

If you knew anything about Ensworth you would find there are at least 2 to 3 times as many students receiving financial aid that never play a sport, than the ones that do.

QUOTE(sports_fan @ Jan 26 2007 - 07:38 AM) 826346569[/snapback]

Yes they are legally allowed to offer financial aid but they are not allowed to recruit. That is the issue. Not offering the aid but recruiting that gets some private schools into trouble.

Hmmm, that is very interesting, if that's the case, it will be extremely hard to prove that any private school recruits. What if colleges were set up like that...lol...the same schools would dominate all the time.

QUOTE(sports_fan @ Jan 26 2007 - 07:38 AM) 826346569[/snapback]

Yes they are legally allowed to offer financial aid but they are not allowed to recruit. That is the issue. Not offering the aid but recruiting that gets some private schools into trouble.

Since we are not kidding ourselves about financial aid lets do the same with recruiting as well, Ensworth does it with the best. Once you go to their campus you understand why they are pretty successful it's like the Taj Mahal with absolutely wonderful facilities. I can't blame kids and parents from wanting to have their kids attend Ensworth, I would probably send my kids there too if the opportunity presented itself.

The best thing that the T$$AA has done lately is put most of these private schools in a separate division to compete against one another. It's really not fair for the public schools (especially in the inner cities) to have to compete against these guys since they hand select their players. Generally, they pick off the best player from several middle schools each year. If each of us had these same resources I feel pretty confident we all could be perennial winners instead of making chicken salad.

I have a story about a kid that went to a magnet school in the Nashville area who was recruited away from the school after his freshmen year to Goodpasture with a full tuition scholarship. The player (two sport star football, basketball) sat out his required first year per T$$AA transfer rule. When it got around to spring he was told he would have to pay his own way the following year to stay at the school where he would be eligible to play the upcoming season. The kid could not afford to stay at the school, had to transfer back to public schools where he lost another year of athletic eligibility. He finally is back playing this year after losing his 10th and 11th grade seasons with this situation. Oh, by the way, Goodpasture competes with the public schools too don't they?