lanxter and shiverdecker change commits

ILuvsports

QUOTE(ILuvsports @ Jan 31 2007 - 12:56 AM) 826352673[/snapback]

Alcoas kyrus lanxter and chris shiverdecker have both de-committed from their previous schools and will both sign with kentucky. Lanxter who has been committed to west virginia for months now has changed his mind after the wvu wrs coach left the program to take another job and also jumped at the chance to get to play with shiverdecker in college. Shiverdecker, pending an ACT score that qualifies, will also be attending uk. Kentucky coach randy sanders was at the alcoa-heritage basketball game tonight and visited with both players.

Looks like Shiverdecker is choosing Carson-Newman? Grades a factor? Did Kentucky offer?

Hows this affect Lanxter?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a great world that would be a good thought, but if you were a D-1 coach you would understand. You offer 65 kids scholarships to play at your school. How many of those kids can you sign. What if all those kids committ what now. With grades, and many other issues many kids get screwed. So many kids get left out of the mix just so coaches can try and get the kids that end up being non-qualifiers in school first. They don't make it---- go to the next level. There are so many more issues that come into play now.

I really hope my kids make the right choices, and I do think that comes from home. Many of the kids that change their minds don't have the parents at home for support, and helping in making choices other than were to play college ball.

I think you are forgetting about all that is involved.

QUOTE(cbg @ Feb 1 2007 - 03:49 PM) 826354832[/snapback]

Look, I am going to tell you one more time so you understand: I am a former D1 coach, I was a recruited athlete, my wife was a recruited athlete and I have one son that was a recruited athlete so I understand the business.

It is the parents responsibility to tell their child that they are to keep their mouth closed and not say a single word until they are sure where they want to go. If the coach pulls the offer there will be other offers. You select a school that you would want to attend even if athletics don't work out for you.

It's time that people in this world become "square jawed men" and take a stand for what is right and what is wrong. These young boy's need to start acting like men and understand that when they tell someone something, that the other person is depending on them to follow through and do what they said they would do even if it hurts. The reason so many kids transfer is because they have been spoiled by their parents and allowed to do what they want, when they want. Most kids today just have too much baby in them for me but most have never been the son of a coal miner.

Yes, I have made mistakes many times and I am still making them. I have also felt pain and financial loss because I followed up and did what I said that I would do.

It's not about changing your mind it's about being accountable for your actions and keeping your word. It's about being a man.

Normally...I would agree. This case...for both...is a little different. Shiverdecker committed to a DII school. The opportunity came to play in the SEC. That's a no-brainer. Who wouldn't do that? I am sure Carson Newman understands.

In the other case...the head coach left West Virginia. If that happens...I don't blame a kid for going somewhere else. The coach did not live up to his committment to be there. I don't have a problem with that either. I do agree...if the coach stays...and nothing has changed...you should honor the committment. A lot of these kids today don't have parents to tell them these things. Heck...even most parents don't know these things.

QUOTE(Antwan @ Feb 2 2007 - 12:05 PM) 826355853[/snapback]

Normally...I would agree. This case...for both...is a little different. Shiverdecker committed to a DII school. The opportunity came to play in the SEC. That's a no-brainer. Who wouldn't do that? I am sure Carson Newman understands.

In the other case...the head coach left West Virginia. If that happens...I don't blame a kid for going somewhere else. The coach did not live up to his committment to be there. I don't have a problem with that either. I do agree...if the coach stays...and nothing has changed...you should honor the committment. A lot of these kids today don't have parents to tell them these things. Heck...even most parents don't know these things.

Thats a good point. Where is the SC QB headed to? Can't remember his name. Sorry. Seems like they had a pretty good Left Tackle too?

QUOTE(ruse? @ Feb 2 2007 - 11:16 AM) 826355870[/snapback]

Thats a good point. Where is the SC QB headed to? Can't remember his name. Sorry. Seems like they had a pretty good Left Tackle too?

The qb is Patrick Sanders. There are two pretty good linemen. One was hurt at the end of the season. I haven't heard where they are going. I would think somewhere for all three.