Region 6AA

LetMeHearYA

What does it say for the state of girls basketball in our area when we only advance one team to the region semi finals and then no teams to the finals. This is in a year when district 12AA was actually way down. The AAA schools in our area aren't doing much better. Why are we falling behind other areas in regard to basketball. We like to think our district or area is good, but in reality we haven't done much to prove it in the post season.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(philmeyer @ Feb 26 2007 - 10:18 PM) 826391045[/snapback]What does it say for the state of girls basketball in our area when we only advance one team to the region semi finals and then no teams to the finals. This is in a year when district 12AA was actually way down. The AAA schools in our area aren't doing much better. Why are we falling behind other areas in regard to basketball. We like to think our district or area is good, but in reality we haven't done much to prove it in the post season.

12AA is way down? I didn't know that.

Based on tournament results, it doesn't appear that district 12 was down at all. They were 4-1 in matchups in the region tournament against district 11.

That being said, congratulations to the Cheayham County Lady Cubs for winning 25 games in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year. All but one player from this year's team returns to play next year.

I would like to know where people get 12AA was suppose to be way down this year. McNairy and Liberty returned all of their key players this year and JSS also returned alot of key players. These 3 teams won in the 1st RD last year. Lexington had a good year last year with alot of young players so they also returned their key players. Liberty has fought some injuries and illness this year. I figure they are getting healthy now but I am not for sure. McNairy lost a key player in Erika Wright in early Dec. and she dressed out again in the 1st round of the region. She still hasn't played but she could be ready pretty soon. Also, Boehler has missed just about the whole year. This was just her 7th game this year ans she is starting to play like her old self now.

QUOTE(rolltide418 @ Feb 26 2007 - 10:38 PM) 826391105[/snapback]Based on tournament results, it doesn't appear that district 12 was down at all. They were 4-1 in matchups in the region tournament against district 11.

That being said, congratulations to the Cheayham County Lady Cubs for winning 25 games in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year. All but one player from this year's team returns to play next year.

I know for a fact just like you said that the Cheatham Co. Lady Cubs will be back next year. One senior is gone from this year's outstanding team and to her I would like to say THANK YOU KELSEY FORSYTHE for the memories and the leadership you provided on a team that many said would be in a rebuilding mode this season. Best of luck to you in the future young lady!!!!!

Now to next year. Coach Phil Carr will be back for his 20th season at the helm of the Cheatham Co. Lady Cubs and season #20 could bring a Gold Ball to Ashland City in 2007-2008. Back are the likes of Megan Hunter, Sara Doty, Hannah Tweedy, Amber Duncan, Jacquelyn Steele, Lizzie Walker, Meredith Hunt, Rachel Balthrop, & Shelby Marvel ALL OF WHOM PLAYED MAJOR MINUTES NIGHT IN & NIGHT OUT FOR A TEAM THAT WON 25 GAMES THIS SEASON!!!!!! How many teams statewide can say that they return 9 of their top 10 players next season from a team that the previous season won that many contests??????? That's not even mentioning the fact that the team is also coached by a legend who does nothing but win basketball games year in and year out. Phil Carr might be the most underrated coach in the state because in the past when he won everyone always wanted to say "HE CHEATED" /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Remember right now that all of the girls that will be stars for the next two years because I don't want to hear or read any excuses when the Lady Cubs are handing out nothing but whippings to most everyone they play during that span of time.

CONGRATS ON A GREAT SEASON LADY CUBS!!!!! LET'S GO WIN A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP IN 2007-2008 /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Congrats to Coach Joe and the Liberty girls on their first Regional final and sub state berth. They have lived in the very large shadow of the Liberty Boys defending state champion and nationally ranked team and also in a very talented district the last 4 years. It is good to see them advance and get some well deserved recognition. Don't stop now, let's take the boys and girls teams to Murfreesboro.

Congrats also to McNairy. Unless they meet in state, championship game will be last "district" game for Liberty against a District 12AA oponent as they move up next year. I have enjoyed watching 12AA girls and boys basketball the last 4 years as they have taken 3 boys and 1 girls state championships and maybe more to come this year.

I have also enjoyed this time of year (region tournament) and the 11AA fans. They are among the most active on this board and pretty classy posters. Good luck next year, and good luck to Liberty and McNairy the rest of the way this year.

Good luck Liberty Tech and McNairy. I think they'll catch Marshall County and Lipscomb.

philmeyer. I think Cheatham County's high schools get the most out of their talent as anybody in the state. That being said, there is usually a team with more athleticism, a dominant player or something that always seems to be standing in the way. It didn't appear to me that the 11AA teams matched up very well with the 12AA teams. Harpeth had a bad shooting night, but some of that was due to the quickness of the Lexington guards. Next year Harpeth will have a tough time cracking the top 4. I look for Cheatham, Sycamore, Creekwood and Waverly to make the post season but Harpeth could sneak in there as well.

QUOTE(Hoganknows @ Feb 27 2007 - 01:43 PM) 826391771[/snapback]There is not enough "Color Purple" in 11AA. Speed Kills

Why did you have to go and put race into it. That was really a stupid thing to say. 11AA played the games they just lost maybe because of Athleticism, maybe coaching, or maybe the fans boosting them up too much. How are you going to have a thread over 30 pages long on 11AA. I think maybe your players started thinking they were better than they were.

Not sure about your comments either McBob...it's always hard to lose, especially to a better team. But anyone in that gym last night knows that didn't happen. It didn't have anything to do with race or athleticism or coaching or who was even the better team. That's the biggest shame of all. Those officials handed that third quarter (the only qtr they won) to McNairy. Nine fouls to one (four in less than a minute off the clock in third qtr) speaks for itself. It's a shame that both teams, with such talent, will never know who was truly the better team.

Regarding your comments about 11aa thinking they are the better teams, that's probably true. Because they are. They win their games without the assist of the officials.

Congratulations Lady Cubs on a great season. After all, you were only rebuilding...Wow - 25 wins on a rebuilding year...imagine what the future holds.

I heard that Cheatham had alot of fouls that wasn't called on them also. The only reason Cheatham won the 4th is because McNairy went to a stall offense trying to run out the clock. If they would have kept playing their normal game, the 4th wouldn't have been close eiither. I'm sure 11AA lost every game because of the refs. It's funny nobody else has complained about them. They have been bad all year and bad both ways.

QUOTE(MamaCub @ Feb 27 2007 - 04:01 PM) 826392097[/snapback]Not sure about your comments either McBob...it's always hard to lose, especially to a better team. But anyone in that gym last night knows that didn't happen. It didn't have anything to do with race or athleticism or coaching or who was even the better team. That's the biggest shame of all. Those officials handed that third quarter (the only qtr they won) to McNairy. Nine fouls to one (four in less than a minute off the clock in third qtr) speaks for itself. It's a shame that both teams, with such talent, will never know who was truly the better team.

Regarding your comments about 11aa thinking they are the better teams, that's probably true. Because they are. They win their games without the assist of the officials.

Congratulations Lady Cubs on a great season. After all, you were only rebuilding...Wow - 25 wins on a rebuilding year...imagine what the future holds.

I'm not sure you are right. There were a lot of fouls that could have been called both ways. From the games I saw in the region, we 11AA wasn't ready for the physical play of the 12AA teams. It affected Sycamore and Cheatham. Yes, the referees let them play, but they do in region on to state. West Tennessee does it during the regular season. It seems to me that we need to adapt to that during our regular season too.

You can't take away that McNairy has a fine girls team. I thought Cheatham and McNairy had the two best teams in the region at Waverly. But they ended up in the same bracket unfortunately. The Lady Cubs will be tough next year and need to build on this year's success. I see Cheatham being the leader of the District next year with Waverly right behind them.