Greeneville VS Dobyns-Bennett

udave56

QUOTE(B-Ball Fan @ Feb 28 2007 - 10:04 AM) 826392947[/snapback]It's tough to beat a large school like DB with only 6 players, but Greeneville made it interesting.

Technically you only had one player from the game I saw which I know is only one game out of 30+. But to say it's hard to beat a big school like DB with only 6 players is hilarious because all we've heard is Wiggins Wiggins Wiggins and he did dominate. It's hard to beat a team that's got a big time D1 player that is 6" taller than the man guarding him...but it happened

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(B-Ball Fan @ Feb 28 2007 - 08:54 AM) 826392836[/snapback]I've seen lots of basketball, but I'd never seen a block and a charge on the same play until last night. Officiating was very poor for this game.

On the coaching side, I'd have to question Duncan. He has a 6'7" guy(Wiggins) that could score inside (or at least get the foul call). When he was matched up against the much smaller #22, they never went back inside to him. I feel confident that he could have exploited this mis-match time after time.

I watched Duncan coach in the state tournament a few years ago with 6'10" Matt Malone, and he let Malone stay on the perimeter most of the game. In this case, it was also on obvious mis-match, but Duncan doesn't seem to be a believer in pounding the ball inside. Wiggins is a great shooter, but he wasn't having a great second half, so it seems that his post game was the obvious 2nd choice.

Duncan got as much as he could out of Malone. He was just a tall boy who could shoot the ball.He was big, slow, poorly conditioned and couldn't put it on the floor without hitting his toes...and he washed out after his sophomore year at UTC.

How many points do you think Wiggins should have had? I thought 33 was pretty good.

QUOTE(maroonandgrey @ Feb 28 2007 - 12:14 PM) 826393170[/snapback]Technically you only had one player from the game I saw which I know is only one game out of 30+. But to say it's hard to beat a big school like DB with only 6 players is hilarious because all we've heard is Wiggins Wiggins Wiggins and he did dominate. It's hard to beat a team that's got a big time D1 player that is 6" taller than the man guarding him...but it happened

6 inches...JS gave up 9 and he put "D" all over Wiggins the 2nd half. With JS having fouls to give that may have been the difference in the game.

QUOTE(greenevillefan @ Feb 28 2007 - 10:36 AM) 826393001[/snapback]Sorry but Free Throws did decide this game. If Greeneville would have hit their free throws they would have won. No excuses from Billy D. Just stating the facts.

Likewise...if DB puts down the 6 or 8 shots that were right on the rim....the chippies as coach Morgan calls it...then there isn't even a game at the end. So that would negate your free throw woes. And as far as free throws goes look at the descrepency in that Wiggins=16 and 21 free throw as a team while DB only took 7 total for the game and a 10-4 foul advantage in the 2nd half until Greeneville had to foul at the end...so don't get on here crying about that because the refs gave you what you wanted. It''s a shame that a kid with such great talent to shoot and nobody can breathe near him without putting him at the line.

How come everyone can come on here and boast about how great the team is and Wiggins is the best and then they go out and get out run and beat by a better TEAM and all people can claim is how many kids DB has....newsflash as many kids as DB has they don't have a high D1 player (heck they don't even have anyone close to D1). I guess you guys will need to go out and find a few more kids to give jobs to there dads to come make up the discrepency for # of kids....please /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(DBWATCHDOG @ Feb 28 2007 - 12:22 PM) 826393184[/snapback]6 inches...JS gave up 9 and he put "D" all over Wiggins the 2nd half. With JS having fouls to give that may have been the difference in the game.

I would say you are correct because it kept AW from scoring from the field all the time and he was a tired kid there in the 2nd half and it showed as his shots/free throws were off the mark.

QUOTE(barb @ Feb 28 2007 - 12:15 PM) 826393172[/snapback]Duncan got as much as he could out of Malone. He was just a tall boy who could shoot the ball.He was big, slow, poorly conditioned and couldn't put it on the floor without hitting his toes...and he washed out after his sophomore year at UTC.

How many points do you think Wiggins should have had? I thought 33 was pretty good.

Obviously, any Greeneville fan wishes he would have finished with 35 points! If you would take the time to re-read the post, you would find that I never implied Wiggins had a poor game. The point is, in a 1 or 2 point, I like my chances with Wiggins on the low block against a 6'1" guy rather than him being 15-20 feet from the basket. If for no other reason, you could have used his offensive rebounding ability.

I make the point about Wiggins, and the point about Malone to state that Duncan seems to underutilize tremendous height advantages. From reading some of the other posts from thiose who were at the game(and from DB and GHS fans that I spoke to at the game), several were left wondering the same thing.

QUOTE(maroonandgrey @ Feb 28 2007 - 12:27 PM) 826393200[/snapback]Likewise...if DB puts down the 6 or 8 shots that were right on the rim....the chippies as coach Morgan calls it...then there isn't even a game at the end. So that would negate your free throw woes. And as far as free throws goes look at the descrepency in that Wiggins=16 and 21 free throw as a team while DB only took 7 total for the game and a 10-4 foul advantage in the 2nd half until Greeneville had to foul at the end...so don't get on here crying about that because the refs gave you what you wanted. It''s a shame that a kid with such great talent to shoot and nobody can breathe near him without putting him at the line.

How come everyone can come on here and boast about how great the team is and Wiggins is the best and then they go out and get out run and beat by a better TEAM and all people can claim is how many kids DB has....newsflash as many kids as DB has they don't have a high D1 player (heck they don't even have anyone close to D1). I guess you guys will need to go out and find a few more kids to give jobs to there dads to come make up the discrepency for # of kids....please /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Consider it done /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(maroonandgrey @ Feb 28 2007 - 12:27 PM) 826393200[/snapback]....snipped.....

I guess you guys will need to go out and find a few more kids to give jobs to there dads to come make up the discrepency for # of kids....please /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

That comment should never come from a DB fan. Wasn't that the recipe for success for many years with Dobyns-Bennett and their Eastman connection? That's always been something I've heard. Perhaps some "old-timers" can shed some light on this subject?

"we had to play a guy on Sensabaugh that couldn't guard me"......wow! That might be one of the most classless things that I've ever heard in a post-game interview. Imagine being that kid, or that kids parents. Coty had ONE point and I'm sure that heart broken kid at least took a little solace in how he played Coty.....until he read the paper in class this A.M. That's awful and that Coach should be on the carpet this morning for it!