Science Hill hosts/ Dobyns Bennett travels

noonesfool

QUOTE(brock20 @ Mar 6 2007 - 05:00 PM) 826402506[/snapback]I didn't get to see or hear the game but from what it sounds like from TriCitiesSports.com is that DB got hosed by the officials. It seemed like every player made a comment about it, as well as Morgan. For that many to say something it had to be a little questionable. What association did the officiating?

I know that most of the time officials don't win/lose games but in a game decided by 3 points, 1 or 2 calls can make a huge difference.

Should have got Pitts while you could have. Who dropped the ball on that one?

Brock,

To answer your question, they were TSSAA officials from the KNOXVILLE area. That says it all. For every single DB player and fan to be talking about it after the game, as well as a coach who NEVER quotes on the officials, that should tell you something. Let me put it this way, they were so bad that at one point during the beginning of the 4th quarter during a timeout, an official from Powell high school brought the refs over explaining to them different ways to get out of the gym. Later on in the quarter, a Knoxville police officer did the exact same thing. If all of this still doesn't convince you of it, the fact that the Powell fans are getting on here admitting there were several questionable calls should tell you all there is to know.

I just hate it for these seniors that had to end their career knowing they lost to a team they were better than. However, you will not win many games playing 5 on 8, especially when 3 of those 8 are in black and white stripes.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DB got away with several calls also, The refs where terrible both ways, Powell made 3-22 3 pointers last night which is not like them at all. You cannot blame a game on officials

Weird how the Knoxville news Sentinal write up has the coach congratulating powell and no mention of the refs.

QUOTE(rolltriberoll @ Mar 6 2007 - 05:41 PM) 826402550[/snapback]You are an idiot.

The more I have seen him post, the more I realize Waco is just that way. He isn't going to be happy unless DB wins every state title. Even then, I am sure he will find the error in the coaching whoever that may be. I have seen high school sports in three different communities in tennessee. No where is the commitment to excellence any more than DB. Kingsport should thank thier lucky stars for the coaches they have.

BobSegar, I would guess that those refs are not from the Knoxville area for 2 reasons: First, I have gone to just about every Powell game these past few years, and now have a pretty good feel not only for who the Knoxville refs are, but how they call the games. I did not recognize those refs, so it's doubtful they're from Knoxville. Second, the TSSAA, for all of its faults, does a pretty good job of getting officials from different areas during the postseason in an attempt to make sure there's no bias. Of course, you blow your credibility at the end when you say DB is the better team. No disrespect to DB, but that was absolutely as bad as Powell played all year. If DB truly had a better team than Powell this year, they would have been up by 20 and no amount of calls could have saved the Panthers. Also, you're blind if you think DB didn't get some calls along the way. Hargis' "charge" on the fast break? Hargis getting tackled to give DB another chance to tie at the end? Hansen's 4th foul which gave DB a 3-point play with absolutely no contact? The better team won last night, without question. If Powell had played even an average game they would have won by 15. Good season DB, no need to ruin it with a flurry of excuses and whining at the end.

QUOTE(BobSegar @ Mar 6 2007 - 07:38 PM) 826402675[/snapback]Brock,

To answer your question, they were TSSAA officials from the KNOXVILLE area. That says it all. For every single DB player and fan to be talking about it after the game, as well as a coach who NEVER quotes on the officials, that should tell you something. Let me put it this way, they were so bad that at one point during the beginning of the 4th quarter during a timeout, an official from Powell high school brought the refs over explaining to them different ways to get out of the gym. Later on in the quarter, a Knoxville police officer did the exact same thing. If all of this still doesn't convince you of it, the fact that the Powell fans are getting on here admitting there were several questionable calls should tell you all there is to know.

I just hate it for these seniors that had to end their career knowing they lost to a team they were better than. However, you will not win many games playing 5 on 8, especially when 3 of those 8 are in black and white stripes.

They were Region 3 officials from Cleveland and Chattanooga. But hey, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story (and DB whining). Geez, take the loss with a little class. That article was a joke. Bliss is the biggest homer I've ever read.

QUOTE(BobSegar @ Mar 6 2007 - 07:38 PM) 826402675[/snapback]Brock,

Don't let the facts get in the way of your good hatefest. The fact is that the officials who worked the Powell/D-B game were from Chattanooga, not Knoxville. The TSSAA uses out of area officials for sectional games.

You don't believe me? Send an email to the TSSAA office - you can find the email addy at www.tssaa.org - and ask for yourself. I was sitting on the front row opposite the bench. We asked on of the officials as they came out during warmups where they were from and he told us that they were from Chattanooga.

QUOTE(PowellFan @ Mar 6 2007 - 09:05 PM) 826402807[/snapback]I believe actually the black haired man is the one that threw Bruce Pearl out of the game last year when He was recruiting, It looked a lot like him.

No, he wasn't. These officials were from Chattanooga. Pearl's incident happened at Knoxville West and the official who did that was named Shane Mynatt (not related, by the way).

Nono, He was kicked from one in chatt or nashville later in the year when he was recruiting. Well they never kicked him but they where going to so he left.

Sure hes not your brother, are you just trying to hide from it lol just playing

How you doing been a while since Ive seen you..

Good seeing mr smith last night lol

QUOTE(Panthers08 @ Mar 6 2007 - 07:06 PM) 826402631[/snapback]There were bad calls both ways. For a "professional" journalist to write up something like that is pathetic. I had a lot of respect for the way DB played after watching them last night. That all went out the window after i read that article. For players to be quoted in a write up bashing the officials shows a lack of leadership in that program. Period. Coach Ogan wouldn't let something like that fly i promise you. Seems like they quickly forgot about all the free throws that they missed or the three or four lay ups that they missed throughout the course of the game that would have easily given them the win. Give me a break. Powell played its D+ game at best and still walked away with a victory because they are that much better. That journalist should be drug into the street and stoned for posting that rubbish and the players that made those remarks need to be disciplined accordingly. Anyway you guys keep blaming the refs we'll send you a post card from MTSU.

I had decided to stay out of this little back and forth at the end of this thread. As I have said earlier, my conclusion is or was that both teams are very good teams for east Tennessee, played hard, and one came out on top. I did not know about the article. Things said in that article are very atypical for by Bliss, DB team members, and the coach. I suspect there was more to the officiating than you guys are owning up to. It matters nothing where the officials are from. Maybe I was wrong about the game. And as far as D games are concerned, that's about what it was for DB - sadly the way it has been most of playoffs - stone cold shooting by those who were doing extremely well in late regular season.

But here you are, with your big mouth, having the unmitigated gall to say that anybody should be, and I quote, "should be drug into the street and stoned for posting that rubbish". That sir, sounds like a threat. I would be very careful about making those kinds of comments. The Powell team and coaches do not deserve fans like you. I have to think that they're better than that.

Did not see the game but its not hard for me to believe that the officiating was terrible. It was like that all year long in this part of the state. And as far as the column on tricitiessports.com, its about time a writer had the "stuff" to call out the officials. Thats the only way anything will ever get changed is if they are held accoutable. And with as much influence as the media can have, sounds like a good place to start. To many officials are either just terrible or have their own agenda when calling games. Congrats to both Powell and DB on a great year. And good luck to Powell in the state.

didn't actually mean that in a literal way, just trying to show my complete and utter disgust for the lack of journalistic integrity. Although, i suppose making a comment like that puts a severe damper on mine lol. Sorry to get so riled up. The refs weren't good theres no question there. I just think its a disgrace to a very very tough basketball team (DB) for them to get in the paper and say the refs cost them that game. Its a cop out plain and simple. As for DB bringing their D game, i didn't see any ungodly stats like there were for powell. Over a post season stretch powell hit 33-63 threes, against DB 3-22. Powell wasn't bigger, or quicker then DB. They didn't shoot the ball well at all, and they still managed to find a way to win.

As far as not owning up to it, yea there were some bad calls, but coach morgan got all fired up about some calls that were just painfully obvious. Like the one where throp dove for the loose ball. He landed face down rolled over and called time out face up, that is the definition of a travel. Coach goes nuts, bench goes nuts, and all the fans go nuts. Powell got calls im not saying they didn't but the better team won, period end of discussion. If DB played powell 9 more times powell would win 7 or 8 of them.