Science Hill hosts/ Dobyns Bennett travels

noonesfool

QUOTE(VolmanScott @ Mar 6 2007 - 06:40 PM) 826402606[/snapback]As you expected I'm sure, I'm going to disagree with you again. Most kids develop good/bad shooting at an early age. It's hard to change a kids shot when he is 16 years old. By the time Morgan gets them, they can either shoot or they can't. He may be able to tweak them a bit, but for the most part, they either can or can't by 16 years of age. As for Ritz, I think he's a great coach and he may win it all this year, but if you are going to judge Clark and Morgan by state titles at D-B, you should do the same with Ritz. Besides, baseball is the easiest of all these sports to coach. Baseball is less of a team sport than football and basketball. Either you pitch it well individually, catch it well individually, throw it well individually or hit it well individually. The biggest decision a baseball coach makes is who to start.

It also helps a coach to have talented, dedicated athletes. Ritz has followed this group of seniors since they were in middle school. When this group was younger they had 2 Kpt traveling teams that wiped out about everyone they played. Ritz actually showed up at a few of those games, which he hasnt done since. This team, except for maybe 2 players play baseball, period. Ritz has focused on this group of players giving many of them playing time over equally good players that were upperclassman in order to prep them for this year. To his credit, he has put a lot of energy in to on these guys. I hope they can handle the pressure.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron Bliss is a very good sports journalist. Don't shoot the messenger on this one. He was simply reporting/quoting what came from the D-B folks. It's his job to report and opine.

However, I can sum up the quotes and inferences of the D-B camp in a couple of words: Waaaaaaa, waaaaaaaaa!

What a bunch of crybabies. If they saw the game then they saw a lot of awful calls against both teams. They seem to cite only those that went against their team.

What about the charge called on Matt Hargis in the first half (right in front of the D-B student section)? That was about as obvious a block as there is. Matt was going away from the basket and the D-B defender clearly moved in front and didn't establish position. How about the offensive foul on Conner after the held ball/walk call? Conner scored on that play and should have gone to the line with a chance to convert a 3 point play. That was a "turning point", too. There were others, as well, but those are just two examples that seem to be overlooked by D-B types.

There were a lot of bad calls and they went both ways. The bad calls against Powell were just as damaging to the Panthers as the bad calls against D-B. They really did even out in the end.

I've always had a lot of respect for D-B over the years. I played against them and high school and i've watched them play since. Up to this point i've thought them to be a class act. The whining over this game, however, has changed my opinion of that program just a bit.

D-B lost. Get over it. You've won games like this one before, but you didn't win this time. Accept it and move on and stop the whining.

Seems like only about a week ago that DB was involved in a game in which poor officiating was called into question. When DB beat Greeneville, many jumped on Duncan for mentioning some bad calls. Now that it has bitten them, it's a completely different story.

Where was Bliss last week when extremely poor officiating(both ways) was on display in his own back yard(Sullivan South)? Bliss is a hack. For a "professional journalist" to get involved in publishing the sour grapes over poor officiating is bush league. However, this is the same "publication" that gives John Mark Hancock a forum. If you're interested in knowing a little of his reputation, go to GRIDSCAPE(a UT Vol fan forum) and bring up his name.

QUOTE(Panthers08 @ Mar 7 2007 - 08:21 AM) 826403181[/snapback]didn't actually mean that in a literal way, just trying to show my complete and utter disgust for the lack of journalistic integrity. Although, i suppose making a comment like that puts a severe damper on mine lol. Sorry to get so riled up. The refs weren't good theres no question there. I just think its a disgrace to a very very tough basketball team (DB) for them to get in the paper and say the refs cost them that game. Its a cop out plain and simple. As for DB bringing their D game, i didn't see any ungodly stats like there were for powell. Over a post season stretch powell hit 33-63 threes, against DB 3-22. Powell wasn't bigger, or quicker then DB. They didn't shoot the ball well at all, and they still managed to find a way to win.

As far as not owning up to it, yea there were some bad calls, but coach morgan got all fired up about some calls that were just painfully obvious. Like the one where throp dove for the loose ball. He landed face down rolled over and called time out face up, that is the definition of a travel. Coach goes nuts, bench goes nuts, and all the fans go nuts. Powell got calls im not saying they didn't but the better team won, period end of discussion. If DB played powell 9 more times powell would win 7 or 8 of them.

DB got out-coached. Nobody from DB will admit it yet. They will be on my side of this issue sometime in the next 5 years. Its all down hill from here.

QUOTE(VolmanScott @ Mar 6 2007 - 06:40 PM) 826402606[/snapback]As you expected I'm sure, I'm going to disagree with you again. Most kids develop good/bad shooting at an early age. It's hard to change a kids shot when he is 16 years old. By the time Morgan gets them, they can either shoot or they can't. He may be able to tweak them a bit, but for the most part, they either can or can't by 16 years of age. As for Ritz, I think he's a great coach and he may win it all this year, but if you are going to judge Clark and Morgan by state titles at D-B, you should do the same with Ritz. Besides, baseball is the easiest of all these sports to coach. Baseball is less of a team sport than football and basketball. Either you pitch it well individually, catch it well individually, throw it well individually or hit it well individually. The biggest decision a baseball coach makes is who to start.

Well sure, I guess thats why most coaches have players practice shooting, and why lots of players stay late after practice to practice shooting. These players were good shooters when they were in the 7th. 8th. and 9th. grades, and became worse under Charlie Morgan. That is a fact!

I never mentioned state titles in my post. I said Ritz can compete on the state level. And that is a fact! Morgan can not and will never compete on the state level in this state because of his style of basketball and because of poor coaching. Clark has the ability to get it done but has realy slid backwards in the past 3 years. You just can't continue to take undefeated and #1 ranked teams into the playoffs and lose in the first round year after year and claim you can compete on the state level. You can't take a basketball team to the state tournment and get "blowed-out" by 30 points in the first round and say you are competiting on the state level. Ritz lost last year to the State Championships in a game that went to the last pitch. He can compete on the state level. He is by far the best coach at DB, any sport.

QUOTE(Panthers08 @ Mar 6 2007 - 07:06 PM) 826402631[/snapback]There were bad calls both ways. For a "professional" journalist to write up something like that is pathetic. I had a lot of respect for the way DB played after watching them last night. That all went out the window after i read that article. For players to be quoted in a write up bashing the officials shows a lack of leadership in that program. Period. Coach Ogan wouldn't let something like that fly i promise you. Seems like they quickly forgot about all the free throws that they missed or the three or four lay ups that they missed throughout the course of the game that would have easily given them the win. Give me a break. Powell played its D+ game at best and still walked away with a victory because they are that much better. That journalist should be drug into the street and stoned for posting that rubbish and the players that made those remarks need to be disciplined accordingly. Anyway you guys keep blaming the refs we'll send you a post card from MTSU.

I was not at the game and after talking to people that were at the game feel the refs didn't cost DB this game. They blew some easy layups that could have stretched a 6 point lead out to maybe 12 and they also missed too many free throws. But I do question why there was such a discrepency in the # of calls per team (16-10), # of free throws (31-21) and # of players fouled out (3-0). On paper those look very unequal and watching DB play all year I would have to scratch my head that Logan and Jordan both foul out of the same game without at least one opposing player going out /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> And I would never say a ref doesn't dictate games because I have seen it. I doubt very seriously that these refs wanted Powell to win or DB to lose....I don't believe for one minute they could care who won or lost that game. But I have seen many games where they have dictated game flow. But like I said...this game still could have been won without leaving it up to a call or 2 down the stretch.

QUOTE(Panthers08 @ Mar 6 2007 - 07:06 PM) 826402631[/snapback]Powell played its D+ game at best and still walked away with a victory because they are that much better.

I've read that quote several times as well as only shooting 3-23 from 3-point range...maybe that was due to a good DB defense. And if you did have a D+ game then shame for coming into a win or go home situation at home not bringing the A+ because in Murfreesboro there won't be any D+ teams walking off the floor with a win. Congrats and good luck at state.

maroonandgrey, please don't take this personally, as you're 1 of the few, it seems, not laying all the blame at the feet of the officials. Just wanted to correct that Powell did have a player foul out, Daniel Hansen, coming between DB's 1st and 2nd, along with at least 2 other players to my recollection finishing the game with 4 fouls for Powell. Also, if you take away the 4 FT's that were shot as a result of DB fouling late to get the ball back, The FT''s are 27-21, which is far from a huge discrepancy.

QUOTE(PantherFan87 @ Mar 7 2007 - 12:28 PM) 826403501[/snapback]maroonandgrey, please don't take this personally, as you're 1 of the few, it seems, not laying all the blame at the feet of the officials. Just wanted to correct that Powell did have a player foul out, Daniel Hansen, coming between DB's 1st and 2nd, along with at least 2 other players to my recollection finishing the game with 4 fouls for Powell. Also, if you take away the 4 FT's that were shot as a result of DB fouling late to get the ball back, The FT''s are 27-21, which is far from a huge discrepancy.

There you go using facts and reality again. That just ruins the whine sessions of those who can't accept losses. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ Mar 7 2007 - 10:09 AM) 826403308[/snapback]Well sure, I guess thats why most coaches have players practice shooting, and why lots of players stay late after practice to practice shooting. These players were good shooters when they were in the 7th. 8th. and 9th. grades, and became worse under Charlie Morgan. That is a fact!

I never mentioned state titles in my post. I said Ritz can compete on the state level. And that is a fact! Morgan can not and will never compete on the state level in this state because of his style of basketball and because of poor coaching. Clark has the ability to get it done but has realy slid backwards in the past 3 years. You just can't continue to take undefeated and #1 ranked teams into the playoffs and lose in the first round year after year and claim you can compete on the state level. You can't take a basketball team to the state tournment and get "blowed-out" by 30 points in the first round and say you are competiting on the state level. Ritz lost last year to the State Championships in a game that went to the last pitch. He can compete on the state level. He is by far the best coach at DB, any sport.

No offense towards Ritz, but any coach in the Big 9 could take D-B's team this year and compete at the state level. There's not much coaching in baseball I tell you. If Ritz had Catapano (SP??) last year, he would have won the state. Football and basketball require much more coaching and much better athletes. I've said for years that D-B fans expectations are too high. They will never win a football or basketball state title. THey have a chance in baseball.

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ Mar 7 2007 - 09:49 AM) 826403288[/snapback]DB got out-coached. Nobody from DB will admit it yet. They will be on my side of this issue sometime in the next 5 years. Its all down hill from here.

While many, or most, disagree with you on Morgan, I am on your side. However, not for all the same reasons. I do not believe he is a horrible coach, but I do disagree with many of his decisions during the course of the game. I said all along during the regional tournament that if DB wanted to beat Science Hill and win substate they would have to play more than 6 players. Well, I basically got called an idiot and it was pointed out that DB beat Science Hill in JC with only 6 players. OK, that was then, this is now. I said they couldn't do it again, and they got run out of the gym. They looked tired and worn out, which can be expected after 6 players see all of the minutes. The foul situation in the Powell game should not have mattered because Morgan should have gone to his bench during the course of the game when players were in foul trouble. However, he refused to play more than 6 people (actually it was 9, but two of them only saw about 2 minutes after others fouled out, and the other was inserted with 7 seconds left for the final shot which he never took). If Morgan is such a good coach he should be able to take the athletes and capable players that he has on his bench and insert them into the game with the goal of taking care of the ball and stealing minutes. Good coaches can do that.

It has been said time and time again that DB's 2nd five could beat many of the teams on our conference. While this is true, where were they during the postseason?

Before everyone gets all giddy about their "facts", D-B actually only shot 20 free throws...King has been credited with two attempts in the "official" scoring and his trip to the free throw line was actually a miss on the front end of a one and one...the free throw shooting was actually 31-20 in shots taken.

In my opinion (as a former TSSAA official) the officiating on Monday, was below poor...the state of Tennessee does not do enough training of officials, period...Monday night was an example of the lack of training...the officials also did not sign the official scorebook...?

As a member of the media I have always felt reporters should report, write or say what they see...Mr. Bliss is certainly not a homer for D-B, but felt he saw something he should report...had others been writing the story they would have given their perspective of the events at hand...not a lack of integrity, by any means, simply a difference of opinion...

Again, good luck to Powell and Maryville

Roll Tribe Roll