East Tennessee Basketball Pretty Darn Good

mocs30

Taking into account the fact that East Tennessee teams won two out of three of the Boys Public School Championships, maybe now we won't have to hear about how great Memphis basketball is all the time.

Maybe now, people will take teams like Maryville, Powell, Oak Ridge, Science Hill and Dobyns Bennett seriously. Way to go East Tennessee.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mocs30 @ Mar 18 2007 - 12:36 AM) 826416012[/snapback]Taking into account the fact that East Tennessee teams won two out of three of the Boys Public School Championships, maybe now we won't have to hear about how great Memphis basketball is all the time.

Maybe now, people will take teams like Maryville, Powell, Oak Ridge, Science Hill and Dobyns Bennett seriously. Way to go East Tennessee.

Don't get beside yourself. Liberty is the best team in the state in any class. Enough said. That AAA championship was a joke. The west is still the best.

QUOTE(Snowman16 @ Mar 21 2007 - 12:31 PM) 826419417[/snapback]In ONE classification

The only other team to have a chance in Murfreesboro would've been Oakland and they still woulda lost by atleast 15....Liberty was the best team in the state this year and that goes to show as they were Nationally ranked at #14!!!

QUOTE(GCPioneer @ Mar 21 2007 - 01:50 PM) 826419435[/snapback]The only other team to have a chance in Murfreesboro would've been Oakland and they still woulda lost by atleast 15....Liberty was the best team in the state this year and that goes to show as they were Nationally ranked at #14!!!

I don't doubt that they were the best team in the state, but to say that the West is the best is just hard to believe when you had 2 teams from the East that brought home a Gold Ball this year. I mean, give the East some credit.

QUOTE(moc3balla @ Mar 21 2007 - 01:06 PM) 826419449[/snapback]I don't doubt that they were the best team in the state, but to say that the West is the best is just hard to believe when you had 2 teams from the East that brought home a Gold Ball this year. I mean, give the East some credit.

I do give credit to the East...never said they didn't deserve the championships...just from watching the state tournaments and watching basketball back here in west TN there is no way you can say the East dominates the West based on this years state championship...I don't even want to go into the past few state championships....that might really show who dominates /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(GCPioneer @ Mar 21 2007 - 01:24 PM) 826419460[/snapback]I do give credit to the East...never said they didn't deserve the championships...just from watching the state tournaments and watching basketball back here in west TN there is no way you can say the East dominates the West based on this years state championship...I don't even want to go into the past few state championships....that might really show who dominates /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

The west may be "the best" but something I think everyone can agree on...."the west won all the mr. basketball awards (however ridiculous some may have been) The east won two gold balls...the west won one... The east "teams" were better.... the team concept and playing together is what gets you the gold ball....and I also believe the east tn teams were better coached...and remember in basketball the post season is all that matters...

QUOTE(nebuntyn @ Mar 18 2007 - 01:46 AM) 826416022[/snapback]Don't get beside yourself. Liberty is the best team in the state in any class. Enough said. That AAA championship was a joke. The west is still the best.

Pretty classless statement if you ask me. Maryville would have gave Liberty a better game then Mitchell or Dyer County would. Every team in the AAA tourney would have beaten Mitchell or Dyer County. Liberty was a great team.

I'm not fully convinced that the west is better than the east.

On any given night, I think that a team like Maryville could beat Liberty.

We've already established that in class 1A that the west is not better than the east.

I think there is a little bit different style of basketball played throughout the state, but that's part of the game.

Either you run and gun (and don't play defense), or you play a controlled offense (with good defense).

I think that makes the difference between having a game where a team scores 100 points and others where you only score 50.

I think if Liberty and Maryville played 10 times Liberty would win 8 times. Liberty was a great team. Their record speaks for its self. Maryville proved they could play with any team in the state though. I think Aaron Douglas would give any team fits. I guarantee you post players for other teams don't look forward to banging with Douglas.