The Countdown Begins...

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ Apr 21 2007 - 07:53 PM) 826442575[/snapback]Stan..your post just shows how antiquated you and the TSSAA are, but since the TSSAA is governed by public schools I can see how the rules are slanted to favor public schools. The rule is a bad rule. If you had any sense of fairness then you`d agree that BA had every right to send those letters to kids that had signed contracts.

The fact is Stan that there are magnet schools. The fact is that there will be more magnet schools. Just because a kid is zoned to go to a certain high school in no way obligates him to go there. He has choices he can make. Tell me why it is fair for a coach from the zoned high school to be able to "pitch" his program to middle schoolers. Basically he has the opportunity to recruit kids and persuade them from attending a magnet school in another zone (or a private school for that matter). And that`s what it is...recruiting. What else could it be? If the kids are zoned to the coach`s school then they would naturally show up the next fall right? So what`s the need for contacting these kids when they are in middle school? You and the TSSAA need to get with the times and face the facts. But like I said before it`s the public schools that make the rules. Let public schools contact middle school kids in the spring, but we`ll be danged if we are gonna let a private school send a letter to a kid that has signed a contract.

I don't believe they were contracts, they were enrollment forms. And like Itoldyouso said, they paid a nonrefundable fee. I guess this was to hold their spot, but they didn't have to make a decision until after the school year was complete. Now, what would have happened, if said student showed up at BA and took part with the football team in spring practice, but then decided that he didn't like BA and no longer wanted to attend in the fall. Would he have been able to go to his zoned school and not be penalized?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(canton @ Apr 21 2007 - 09:50 PM) 826442609[/snapback]I don't believe they were contracts, they were enrollment forms. And like Itoldyouso said, they paid a nonrefundable fee. I guess this was to hold their spot, but they didn't have to make a decision until after the school year was complete. Now, what would have happened, if said student showed up at BA and took part with the football team in spring practice, but then decided that he didn't like BA and no longer wanted to attend in the fall. Would he have been able to go to his zoned school and not be penalized?

OK let`s just say they signed an agreement stating they desired to go to BA. There is still no problem with BA sending them a letter. What does that have to do with my post about public schools?

Was the coach not an employee of the school? Would he not be considered a representative of the school? Any school public or private should have the right and the obligation to communicate with incoming students to advise them of ALL extracurricular activities that they may be eligible for.

I disagree. We don't want coaches inviting students to campus in the

spring -- when they enroll in the fall.

Not even BA makes this argument because they know it is flawed.

VG, listen up, BA is fighting on the legal foundation of "free speech."

If you don't get, then you don't get it. Everyone who has any clue

knows that BA was known to go after middle school kids. That is why

the kids went to the BA game, and BA played with the rule in this

episdoe by having an "adult" handle the tickets, not the kids.

If you think it is okay to recruit, then change the rule. You are probably

the parent who sits in the stands all season during little league games

and gripes about Dixie Youth, etc.

BA recruited athletes for years. The TSSAA doesn't have the best evidence

in the world against BA, but the TSSAA was justified in taking action on

the letter and tickets.

QUOTE(BLUEMOM @ Apr 22 2007 - 05:59 AM) 826442733[/snapback]Was the coach not an employee of the school? Would he not be considered a representative of the school? Any school public or private should have the right and the obligation to communicate with incoming students to advise them of ALL extracurricular activities that they may be eligible for.

QUOTE(StanTrott @ Apr 22 2007 - 07:53 AM) 826442743[/snapback]I disagree. We don't want coaches inviting students to campus in the

the letter and tickets.

Stan,

Can you prove that Brentwood Academy recruited athletes for years? If not you may want to stay quiet or you could be held liable and you are smart enough to know that people have been held liable for things they post on message boards. FYI, I feel the same as you but I have zero proof.

QUOTE(StanTrott @ Apr 22 2007 - 07:53 AM) 826442743[/snapback]I disagree. We don't want coaches inviting students to campus in the

the letter and tickets.

You don`t want coaches inviting kids to campus? But then you have no problem with coaches going to middle schools right? I see a bit of a conflict with that Stan.

And from your entire post I detect a bit of resentment and anger at BA. It`s almost like you are out to get them. Which is why the TSSAA is in this mess and has spent so much money in courts for years. So much pressure from coaches to go after BA and they slap them with sanctions because they sent out a letter to some kids that had signed a contract and written a check to BA. Sorry you can`t see through your anger towards BA and see how silly this whole thing is.

And no Stan I was one of those parents that volunteered my time for years and coached the Dixie Youth games.

Why is it okay for public school coaches to go to middle schools and recruit kids and BA can`t send a letter out to a kid that has signed a contract?

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ Apr 22 2007 - 04:21 PM) 826442906[/snapback]So I go back to my previous post. Why is it okay for public school coaches to go to middle schools "in person" and recruit kids?

Take MP for example. Kids in Maury Co. are zoned. MP 8th graders cant participate in spring drills but will go to MP high school because they are zoned there. You cant recruit kids that are already zoned to your school. So if a coach talks to those kids its not recruiting because they are already forced there. If it was an open zone county I could see your beef. My next question is, can a 8th grader in a unit school participate in that schools spring practice?

cbg,

I have posted in the past that BA has recruited.

I posted that a parent told me that his/her kid

was recruited by BA. The kid played at BA.

Was the parent lying?

Other people have told me that they were recruited

by BA.

Many, many people have the same type of information.

The critical question is will people testify under oath that

BA recruited? To date, no one has testified.

Why would someone come forward and testify about being

recruited? There is no motivation to do so.

The TSSAA's task of proving individuals were recruited is

most difficult, to say the least. Without cooperation and

testimony, the TSSAA needed physical evidence. The

letter and tickets were obviously all they could get their

hands on.

One fact is clear: people have either lied about being recruited

by BA, or BA has lied about not recruiting anyone.

QUOTE(cbg @ Apr 22 2007 - 02:44 PM) 826442885[/snapback]Stan,

Can you prove that Brentwood Academy recruited athletes for years? If not you may want to stay quiet or you could be held liable and you are smart enough to know that people have been held liable for things they post on message boards. FYI, I feel the same as you but I have zero proof.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Apr 22 2007 - 09:02 PM) 826443058[/snapback]Take MP for example. Kids in Maury Co. are zoned. MP 8th graders cant participate in spring drills but will go to MP high school because they are zoned there. You cant recruit kids that are already zoned to your school. So if a coach talks to those kids its not recruiting because they are already forced there. If it was an open zone county I could see your beef. My next question is, can a 8th grader in a unit school participate in that schools spring practice?

MPHS...I don`t know about Maury County, but I`ll yake your word for it. But, there are counties that have magnet schools and open zones and the rules are still in place that allow public school coaches to go to the middle schools in the spring. This case is about free speech and the TSSAA`s ability to govern by it`s rules. If BA can`t be allowed to send a letter to a kid that has previously signed a contract to attend the school then public coaches should not be able to go to middle schools to recruit.