Region 3-4A

Here's How I see it going down (from a high schooler's standpoint)

1. Marvyille. People can go ahead and forget the "upset" year. Still Hot. and Still on top. Brent Burnette is a fine QB going D1 and Shiver can catch amazingly.

2. West. QB Jake Ryan can get things done. The kid has a rocket as an arm. And the 6'4 WR Ken Easterly. Still one of the top recievers in the KFL. Great set of hands

3. Central. Losing Orlando Blair won't phase them. Some good players are out there. Courtland Styles and Jaime Wilson are some tremendous players with bright futures. QB is Clark McMillan. Looking for another good season. And if Jonny Saah can stay healthy, this team goes somewhere in the playoffs

4. Halls. Following a nasty season, the boys are back in town. New QB Tyler Turner doesn't take no for an answer. The boy can play. And WR Daniel Dayton. The kid can catch a cold in a desert.

5. Clinton. Very Suprising, I know. But primetime players such as HB Phillip Hester can bring it. He needs to have a healthy season.

6. Powell. Jared McGaha is gone. And so is the Panthers' season. Some good players such as Jimmy Franklin and Jared "Tex" Clemons. But 2 players can't do it themselves.

7. South Doyle. Another bad season. Inexperienced QB's have to take over.

8. Lenoir City. What can you say? 1-9 last year. I'm sayin 2-8 this year. Not much improvement

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else think 3-4a will be stronger, perhaps more competitive, this year than the past couple years? I think it will be. The exception is powell, they seem to be down, but not a whole lot of talk coming from them could mean better focus than in the past. Don't count them out, especially if the rivalry game between halls and powell comes down to the 4th spot. Anything can happen!

Ruse

You are right on about not using scores to think that a team will win. Red Bank got their hopes up because Maryville beat Brainerd 30-26 and Red Bank killed Brainerd 77-7. I will say this about Maryville. The last few years when there is supposed to be a team that is supposed to clobber them they step up. Maryville stepped up big time against Alcoa in 2005. Maryville stepped up big time against Red Bank last year.

Comparing like opponents is goofy and here is why. Different coaches tend to manage games differently. Maryville coaches don't intentionally run up the score in any ball game, therefore games on paper look a lot closer than they actually are. Their planning is to beat you, not embarrass you. Other teams tend to run up the scores, therefore artificially looking better than they actually are. Simple fact is that very few teams have knocked them off. They also take advantage of their dominance and prepare the younger kids for future seasons. That's why they are good year after year. Fulton would be a good game on paper and maybe even have a chance to win. This I can promise, if Fulton where to win, it would be called an upset for a reason....

Comparing like opponents is goofy and here is why. Different coaches tend to manage games differently. Maryville coaches don't intentionally run up the score in any ball game, therefore games on paper look a lot closer than they actually are. Their planning is to beat you, not embarrass you. Other teams tend to run up the scores, therefore artificially looking better than they actually are. Simple fact is that very few teams have knocked them off. They also take advantage of their dominance and prepare the younger kids for future seasons. That's why they are good year after year. Fulton would be a good game on paper and maybe even have a chance to win. This I can promise, if Fulton where to win, it would be called an upset for a reason....

I would like to see Maryville play Fulton. Maryville used to play them 20 years ago and beat them every year. Fulton's line would have given Maryville problems last year. Antonio Hamilton was a beast that Maryville would have had problems with. With that being said the Maryville coaching staff would find a way to attack Fulton. Fulton had a great defense but it still doesn't compare to what Melrose had. I think Maryville is too well coached,disciplined and too balanced for Fulton. It would be a great game. I don't know what Fulton feeds those boys but they seem to be huge every year.

I also agree with you saying that Maryville doesn't run up the score. When the game is in hand they put the younger kids in. That is great coaching. I have seen teams play their 1st string nearly the whole game even when the game is in hand. That is crazy. When those younger kids get playing time against other teams 1st string that prepares them for next year when they start.

Logan Disney went to AC good player. Many parents at the Middle School now are already weighing their options (Grace could be a big winner with the up coming 8th grade class). It is a reflection when starters are quiting. They have also lost some good freshman (sophmore) players. This debate could go on and on, I just don't think it changes the facts that Clinton is going to continue to struggle until there are some positive changes. There needs to upgrades to the facility as well as the administration. What ever the reason for BD leaving it was Clintons loss and Coalfields gain. While other schools are seeing new talent come in Clinton hasn't (except for the Stone kid) and no one has seen him in a real game situation standing across from Maryville or Oak Ridge. Regardless as to what happens I think Clinton is a long way from rising to the occassion.

I hope there are a lot of Clinton people that have to eat a lot of crow.....

I would like to see Maryville play Fulton. Maryville used to play them 20 years ago and beat them every year. Fulton's line would have given Maryville problems last year. Antonio Hamilton was a beast that Maryville would have had problems with. With that being said the Maryville coaching staff would find a way to attack Fulton. Fulton had a great defense but it still doesn't compare to what Melrose had. I think Maryville is too well coached,disciplined and too balanced for Fulton. It would be a great game. I don't know what Fulton feeds those boys but they seem to be huge every year.

I also agree with you saying that Maryville doesn't run up the score. When the game is in hand they put the younger kids in. That is great coaching. I have seen teams play their 1st string nearly the whole game even when the game is in hand. That is crazy. When those younger kids get playing time against other teams 1st string that prepares them for next year when they start.

I would also love to have watched a Maryville/Fulton match-up last year. I have often said that the three best teams in the state last year regardless of classification were all within 20 miles of each other, and if you count Catholic, maybe 4 of the top 5.

If a team from other than the Knoxville/Blount Co. area is going to win a 2A or 3A title though, they better do it this year before Alcoa, Catholic, and Fulton reload. I still don't know if anyone is 2A will be capable, and AE may be ready to carry the torch on for the area in 3A.

I would also love to have watched a Maryville/Fulton match-up last year. I have often said that the three best teams in the state last year regardless of classification were all within 20 miles of each other, and if you count Catholic, maybe 4 of the top 5.

If a team from other than the Knoxville/Blount Co. area is going to win a 2A or 3A title though, they better do it this year before Alcoa, Catholic, and Fulton reload. I still don't know if anyone is 2A will be capable, and AE may be ready to carry the torch on for the area in 3A.

Soloman.

I gotta go with Maryville, West, Central, and Halls in that order for many of the reasons that CRhea500 posted above. The only additional comment I would have is that Jack Wager moving to West from Fulton along with Joe Ayers (if true) from Webb could really boost West this yr. Wagner @ WR really creates a problem for folks w/Easterly on the other side, and Ayers @ LB or DE along with Will Coley (DE/LB, and very underated), Jack Hutchison (LB) make them tough. West's O will be able to score quickly IMO, and their D could be very stout up the middle with Whaley @ NG/DT, Ayers @ MLB, and Wagner @ SS.

REBELRON is not going to like this; however, Fulton might have had a real shot against Maryville last yr, but only if the game were played early in the season, and with Wagner and Freeney in the line-up. Maryville improved more than Fulton as the season went on. Alcoa will roll this yr. with Cobb/Sommer/Thompson, etc. I just don't see anyone in 2A knocking them out. They have some real talent in the 2010 class. I too think AE is going to be tough. Need to replace Troutman/Anderson, but Kenny Jones should lead, and Graham with some new staff including Jarvis Redo could carry the torch. Having said that about AE, out of all the teams I saw scrimmage this spring, Catholic impressed the most. So I tend to think that 2A-Alcoa, 3A-winner of 2-3A, and 4A-Mville all come back to that 20 mile radius.

ruse?

Ayers is infact @ West High and began attending workout this week.... He will probably be @ tackle on the o-line which is a badly needed spot..@ least for this year...even before he came West was pretty set @ LB with Hurston, Coley and Johnson holding down the inside... all of which had started or seen significant playing time the year before... But the depth @ line was a problem with all 3 potential tackles playing DE and 2 of them potentially starting there..This adds much needed depth @ the line in general..He is however injured but coaches expect him to be back by the time camp and season rolls around........