Sullivan South Quarterback Curt Phillips Commits to Wisconsin

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curt is going to make some waves. Everyone in the SEC is going to wonder how this one got away. I will be watching Wisconsin every chance I get. My wife's family is from there and they are pumped about about Curt coming to play. We all have seen what he can do and are excited about him. Congrats Curt! What a player! I think everyone in the Kingsport area is proud, this coming from a big DB fan.

Linnk to Wisconsin State Journal Article

UW football: Tennessee prep QB commits

TOM MULHERN

608-252-6165

June 16, 2007

A year ago at this time, some who follow University of Wisconsin football recruiting were lamenting the Badgers' inability to recruit a top-tier quarterback.

It remains to be seen whether Curt Phillips, from Kingsport, Tenn., will be enough to satisfy those fans.

But he appears to be a significant step in that direction.

Phillips, who on Thursday gave an oral commitment to play for the Badgers, is ranked as theNo. 12 dual-threat quarterback in the nation by Unapproved Website.

He was one of just two quarterbacks with offers from UW, along with Braden Hanson, of Charlotte, N.C., who is ranked as the No. 11 pro-style quarterback by Unapproved Website.

"He's a fantastic athlete, runs an 11-flat 100 meters, has a strong arm, has got great feet," said Stacy Carter, who is Phillips' football coach at Sullivan South High School. "He's able to stand in the pocket and throw, but he can get outside and create stuff by himself. I think Wisconsin really liked that about him."

Since second-year UW coach Bret Bielema has been in charge of recruiting, the Badgers have signed two quarterbacks.

Current redshirt freshman Scott Tolzien was a late addition to the 2006 class. Incoming freshman James Stallons, who has been compared to former Badger Jim Sorgi, was ranked the No. 32 pro-style quarterback by Unapproved Website.

Phillips, 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, was told he would be the only quarterback signed by the Badgers for 2008. He reportedly has been timed in the 40-yard dash in 4.54 seconds and has a 32-inch vertical jump.

He is a two-time, all-state selection who threw for 2,023 yards, completing 61.2 percent of his passes (123 of 201), with 24 touchdowns and five interceptions as a junior. He also rushed for 805 yards and 14 TDs.

His mother was a Division I volleyball player at Memphis and his dad is a radiologist. Phillips said he has a 3.75 grade-point average and scored a 27 on his ACT.

Even though Phillips was named among the top three players at quarterback camps in Miami and Athens, Ga., the word on him is just starting to get out, according to his high school coach.

"It's kind of an isolated area in East Tennessee, not bad football, but it's not your Georgia, Texas or Florida, where you get all the notoriety," Carter said. "He's better than even advertised."

Phillips also had offers from Kentucky, Duke, East Carolina and Middle Tennessee State and was still being evaluated by schools like Auburn and Georgia. Carter said Tennessee was recruiting Phillips but had not yet made an offer, in part because the school thinks it's in the running for some top-rated quarterbacks.

During an unofficial visit to Madison on Tuesday and Wednesday, Phillips watched DVDs of games and spent time with offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Paul Chryst, his primary recruiter, and Bielema.

"I don't think there's a better program, as far as school and football," Phillips said.

Phillips plays in a spread offense, often going without a huddle and making adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

"He's been with me for four years now," Carter said. "His grasp (of the offense) is about as good as mine."

Phillips was not deterred by UW's reputation as a run-first offense, and pointed to the passing proficiency of John Stocco, who threw for 2,185 yards and 17 TDs in 11 games last season.

"Of course, Wisconsin traditionally, they're a running team," Phillips said. "They're going to throw it around (too). Stocco last year was a pro-style guy.

"We talked to coach Chryst and they're not going to run the spread, which is what I do in high school. At the same time, he said he'd like to have a mobile quarterback. They're not going to run the quarterback a whole lot, but you get to be able to do some draws and maybe buy a little time in the pocket. I think I fit in pretty well."

Correspondent Phil Fritz contributed to this report.