ability vs Grade in school

I would like to get an opinion about a very controversial subject at my house and around my side of town...

Is it fair to play a player because he is a senior even if there is a better player as an underclassman. I know at some of the high schools seniors (even though some are first year players and don't have clue as to what is going on) will be started instead of a sophomore or junior that is a talented player.

I think that if a senior has a chance at an athletic scholarship then by all means let them play, but why sacrifice the rest of the game with a senior that doesn't have a clue.

I feel like there are sophomore's and Juniors that work harder, give everything they have to a game or practice for that matter and are told because such and such is a senior he will be starting.... I just don't think thats fair.

Now, I don't wanna get a fight started and I do know that every child has a right to play, but....

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to get an opinion about a very controversial subject at my house and around my side of town...

Is it fair to play a player because he is a senior even if there is a better player as an underclassman. I know at some of the high schools seniors (even though some are first year players and don't have clue as to what is going on) will be started instead of a sophomore or junior that is a talented player.

I think that if a senior has a chance at an athletic scholarship then by all means let them play, but why sacrifice the rest of the game with a senior that doesn't have a clue.

I feel like there are sophomore's and Juniors that work harder, give everything they have to a game or practice for that matter and are told because such and such is a senior he will be starting.... I just don't think thats fair.

Now, I don't wanna get a fight started and I do know that every child has a right to play, but....

You've got to play the better player. But the underclassman has to better. If it is close or a toss up, being a senior should give you the tiebreaker. But if it's that close both should play, the underclassman needs to be ready to play next year. Sometimes other factors such as attitude, hustle and knowledge of the game or a position may factor into decision.

But in my opinion, you shouldn't start just because you are a senior if there is an underclassman who is better. But remember the coach may have many reasons for who he starts, and right or wrong, he is usually going to start who he thinks gives him the best chance to win.

Every Child has a right to play? The right to play starts to end in middle school and is dead in high school. No teenage has the right to play during a game. The teenager has the right to sign up to play and practice with the team as long as the coaches rules are followed. This were it ends. This is High School.

Let me suggest five simple rules for dealing with high school football.

Rule 1: The Head Football Coach is always right.

Rule 2: When the Head Football Coach is wrong, which is never the case, refer to rule 1.

Rule 3: High School Football is not a democracy. It stops when the boy signs up for football.

Rule 4: Never ask a coach about playing time. It's OK to ask the coach for advice for improving the teenager needs to get better.

Rule 5: If unhappy with coach, move to another school zone, quit, or join the high school band

It's not the players or parents opinion to decide who is better or not to play. This is reserved exclusively for the football coaches only. Once the family understands this, no other arguments on this subject will exist in the household. A sophomore generally plays Junior Varsity. The player has to be as special player to be playing with the Varsity. It might be as a second or third teamer. The important thing of being a backup is being a team player and to be ready to give 100% when called upon.

Any sophomore that beats out a senior needs to change in a phone booth and have a S on his chest. Any senior that doesn't have enough pride in himself and respect for his team that he let's a sophomore beat him out should hang up his cleats and join the so called experts that sit in the stands and berate the ones that don't sit around on the playstation all summer.

While I would not come right out and tell a parent in those exact words, I agree with rapbwood. People think that coaches have a bias against a player because of his age, who his parents are, or some other reason, haven't been on the other side of the fence. By this I do not mean people haven't coached before, I mean you haven't done it where your livelyhood and career are on the line. Most of us work our backsides off to prepare for our season, we are not abour to intentionally going to play inferior talent for whatever reason. We don't make a great deal of money doing what we do, but we love what we do and would like to keep our jobs. So we are going to put the best players in our opinion on the field. I have played freshmen at the varsity level before, (I am a 5-A coach and the only freshmen I ever had ready to play at that level is competing for the starting running back job at Miami, We take into consideration a lot more things than people realize work ethic, loyalty to the program, mental and physical toughness. This is the kind of talk that turns a player against his teammates and coaches. If this is his thinking HE needs to go talk to his coach about the situation himself, as a young man he needs to learn to handle problems himself. If this is your idea don't poison the water against the coach and other players by your comments at home. Football coaches more than any other sport preach team, in our society, people are becoming more and more self centered, if you follow the NFL at all you see how many you players are putting themself in front of the team based on their actions. It is talk like this that begins that type of behavior. If your son feels strongly about this, I suggest he approach it from the angle of coach, what can I do to get better and earn more playing time. If it is approached with the attitude that it comes across in your post the coach will take it as questioning his integrity.

Sounds like your kid got beat out by a senior

Sounds like your kid got beat out by a senior

Actually, for the first thing... I would never say anything against a coach within my child's hearing... and no my son did not get beat out by a senior. My son is second/first string fullback... depending on the team we are playing and what the situation is. I do know about coaching, as I myself have done so. I am not talking specifically about any coach or any player but the situations I have seen in the past. I am proud of my son no matter where or when he plays if he does... I dont go to the coaches about playing time... that to me is taboo... my son is supposed to be growing up to be a man and if he doesnt feel he is getting the playing time that he thinks he deserves that is up to him... and he needs to deal with it. I am just speaking generally. I truly believe in the concept of team. There is no I in team and there are 11 players on a team on the field at one time.... contrary to popular opinion, no matter how talented one player is ... he doesnt make the team by himself.

I apologize if I stepped on any toes, but I was just curious to see if anyone else felt the way I do. It is important for seniors to play so that they can be seen, but, if it is more beneficial to the TEAM to play an underclassman, then that is what needs to be done.

Fblover nailed it. Also there are times when rotation of a player/position by series is beneficial for all concerned. There have been yrs where it has made sense to "run" plays in using a fullback/TE/WR. For the latter, the ability between the two or three needs to be very close. Very. If not, your hand is tipped.

I agree with all the posts but will put a different twist on the situation. You may have a more athletic Sophomore that is undisciplined but a Senior that is better in the system and understands football more. I agree if its a toss up the Senior gets the nod, otherwise it should be based on your particular needs. I would never put a player in that I didn't trust to get the job done.

Any sophomore that beats out a senior needs to change in a phone booth and have a S on his chest. Any senior that doesn't have enough pride in himself and respect for his team that he let's a sophomore beat him out should hang up his cleats and join the so called experts that sit in the stands and berate the ones that don't sit around on the playstation all summer.

Thats exactly the problem we have here in cumberland county, once a underclassmen starts over a senior, the senior quits. What most people dont realize is sometimes a coach will start an underclassmen to motivate an upperclassmen to work harder and it is just a week or 2 thing. As a freshmen i got put on varsity and when i got to play it po'd some of them and they let the coaches and me know through playing harder that it was there spot and the would have to wait my turn. Also you have to take team chemistry into effect, if a qb and a reciever dont get along you may have to play someone else. It may hurt the team talent wise, but the effort not being there come game time is even worse.

One question: Is it better to have a kid(freshmen) stand on the sidelines of a varsity game and not play jv or freshmen because he is the back up or let him play and bank on not getting hurt, I know that this isnt my decision to make, but i want to coach and someday it will, and my brother just so happens to be the kid in this illustration

Thats exactly the problem we have here in cumberland county, once a underclassmen starts over a senior, the senior quits. What most people dont realize is sometimes a coach will start an underclassmen to motivate an upperclassmen to work harder and it is just a week or 2 thing. As a freshmen i got put on varsity and when i got to play it po'd some of them and they let the coaches and me know through playing harder that it was there spot and the would have to wait my turn. Also you have to take team chemistry into effect, if a qb and a reciever dont get along you may have to play someone else. It may hurt the team talent wise, but the effort not being there come game time is even worse.

One question: Is it better to have a kid(freshmen) stand on the sidelines of a varsity game and not play jv or freshmen because he is the back up or let him play and bank on not getting hurt, I know that this isnt my decision to make, but i want to coach and someday it will, and my brother just so happens to be the kid in this illustration

blueangel51.

Can't bank on not getting hurt; however, unless the FR. kid is a varsity starter, play the heck out of him. Within the TSSAA guidelines realtive to 1/4s played in a given timeframe.....of course.

ruse?