ability vs Grade in school

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me suggest five simple rules for dealing with high school football.

Rule 1: The Head Football Coach is always right.

Rule 2: When the Head Football Coach is wrong, which is never the case, refer to rule 1.

Rule 3: High School Football is not a democracy. It stops when the boy signs up for football.

Rule 4: Never ask a coach about playing time. It's OK to ask the coach for advice for improving the teenager needs to get better.

Rule 5: If unhappy with coach, move to another school zone, quit, or join the high school band

It's not the players or parents opinion to decide who is better or not to play.

Beautiful!!!!

Anyone who believes that seniors should be given the right to play just because "they are seniors" needs to re-think this question. If anything it should go the other way. If you have a freshman that is equal to a senior in terms of talent then it should be the younger kid that plays in my personal opinion. Why???? A coach can always work with the younger player and make him better as the years pass. When you have a senior you've got somewhere between 10-15 weeks to work with the young man and after this he is done. Why would a coach delay the progress of a young man as a football player just to allow a senior the chance to play (to spare his feelings)??????? The best 11 players are the ones who get to play in football. If feelings come into question for the kids & parents then maybe a flag football league is the way to go. The coaches should always be the ones to decide what is best for the team. Why????? When teams win coaches get rewarded HOWEVER when teams lose coaches get fired. SIMPLE ENOUGH!!!!!

Beautiful!!!!

Anyone who believes that seniors should be given the right to play just because "they are seniors" needs to re-think this question. If anything it should go the other way. If you have a freshman that is equal to a senior in terms of talent then it should be the younger kid that plays in my personal opinion. Why???? A coach can always work with the younger player and make him better as the years pass. When you have a senior you've got somewhere between 10-15 weeks to work with the young man and after this he is done. Why would a coach delay the progress of a young man as a football player just to allow a senior the chance to play (to spare his feelings)??????? The best 11 players are the ones who get to play in football. If feelings come into question for the kids & parents then maybe a flag football league is the way to go. The coaches should always be the ones to decide what is best for the team. Why????? When teams win coaches get rewarded HOWEVER when teams lose coaches get fired. SIMPLE ENOUGH!!!!!

I agree completely. I think that whichever player will benefit the team the most should be the one playing regardless of what grade in school they are in.

You simply play the best player and you have zero problems. Any coaching staff that gets caught up in the theory that you play the older player or younger player is asking for trouble. The coaching staffs should be blind to which grade a player is in.

One question: Is it better to have a kid(freshmen) stand on the sidelines of a varsity game and not play jv or freshmen because he is the back up or let him play and bank on not getting hurt, I know that this isnt my decision to make, but i want to coach and someday it will, and my brother just so happens to be the kid in this illustration

Kids get hurt in practice so getting hurt can't be a factor unless he is the only back-up and he is getting the reps and playing time he needs to get better

Best player plays at ALL times, unless there is a discipline issue with said player.

It doesn't work out that way all the time. I've seen legacy kids get preferential treatment, and that isn't right, but it happens at times.

I basically agree with rapbwood, but I do think there are times where the coach can be wrong. You just never publically challenge the guy. If you have a legitimate beef, call the guy on the phone and talk it out. You might not like what he's got to say, but it makes it all better in the end.

theyll probably let him play jv, bc there is another fr qb, but hes about the only other qb other than the starter we have that could play in a varsity game, do you treat qbs different, they are harder to comeby

blueangel51.

Yes, I treated QBs differently. Some do, some don't. For the most part I was much harder on them, and for the most part they hated me for it. Of the 23 that started for my teams (yes, MY teams) only 1 wound up going down a really bad path. Smartest one too. I knew he would be very successful. Just didn't figure on him being a successful crimminal. Anyway, it was important for me to know how much to trust them with. And by the way, QBs are no harder to come by than the rest.

ruse?

theyll probably let him play jv, bc there is another fr qb, but hes about the only other qb other than the starter we have that could play in a varsity game, do you treat qbs different, they are harder to comeby

QB's are the only position besides center that touches the ball on every play and they are typically a leader on the team. Losing a QB can derail a team especially if there is no capable back-up. Sure you treat them differently but you don't baby them either, hitting and getting hit is part of the game. If he is truely the only back-up then I would let him play some JV and give him the second team reps in practice and mop-up in the varsity games. A back-up QB has to be ready and only experence and reps does that.

blueangel51.

Yes, I treated QBs differently. Some do, some don't. For the most part I was much harder on them, and for the most part they hated me for it. Of the 23 that started for my teams (yes, MY teams) only 1 wound up going down a really bad path. Smartest one too. I knew he would be very successful. Just didn't figure on him being a successful crimminal. Anyway, it was important for me to know how much to trust them with. And by the way, QBs are no harder to come by than the rest.

ruse?

Ruse.....I always thought you were a coach, or were currently coaching. Your insight is excellent and appreciated by me. My son was a QB and he was certainly treated more harshly than others......and for good reason. Their (QB's) importance to the offense and the teams success is paramont. I never had a problem with it....and in all honesty would have been disappointed if he wasn't scrutinized more. In the end there is no doubt in my mind he is a much better person, citizen, leader, and will most likely be more successful in his endeavors because of the experience received from a demanding coach. I cherish the life lessons that he received from his highschool coach because it would have been dfficult to receive such outstanding discipline and tutelage at that age from other situations.

Ruse.....I always thought you were a coach, or were currently coaching. Your insight is excellent and appreciated by me. My son was a QB and he was certainly treated more harshly than others......and for good reason. Their (QB's) importance to the offense and the teams success is paramont. I never had a problem with it....and in all honesty would have been disappointed if he wasn't scrutinized more. In the end there is no doubt in my mind he is a much better person, citizen, leader, and will most likely be more successful in his endeavors because of the experience received from a demanding coach. I cherish the life lessons that he received from his highschool coach because it would have been dfficult to receive such outstanding discipline and tutelage at that age from other situations.

MELREB.

Thanks. It was kids with parents like you appear to be, that made coaching a very rewarding (not financially) life.

ruse?