Public's should not play private schools

Six-man actually. Although I think eight would be the better game for Tennessee. (There are already non-TSSAA private schools, like Franklin Classical, that play an 8-man league around Nashville.) Granting the option--not requirement--for the little schools to play 8-man would be a good thing, I think.

(And in Texas, the publics and privates were always separated--yet somehow, the hatred seems as bad as it is here...)

I agree, 8-man would be good for smaller schools. There was an 8-man league in Florida that had quite a few participants. Remember too, Texas is more the exception than the rule on public/private separation.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember too, Texas is more the exception than the rule on public/private separation.

Yes, Texas is joined in that respect by Virginia, Maryland, DC, and in modified form Mississippi and the Carolinas. The only other places where I've been able to document a "split" occurring--as opposed to the separation just having always been in place--are New Jersey and O'ahu (the latter back when schools played only on their own island). West Virginia passed a split a few years back, but it doesn't seem to have ever taken effect.

As far as the whole debate goes, I've said it before and I'll say it again; it is stupid for this debate to go on. TSSAA gave public schools the multiplier, that should be the end of the story.

But should the multiplier also be applied to open zone schools, or schools like Alcoa that take students from such a distance????

I do feel that some sort of a "multiplier" could help if placed on open zoned schools. Those are the schools that are dominating for the most part.

As for small schools playing 8 man ball, I feel that is a terrible idea. I am an alum of a high school with less than, at the time, 160 students. We were somewhat competitive. Also how is it fair to make the smaller private schools play a different form of football? Several kids go to these school because of religious reasons. So making them play an essentially different game is kind of like penalizing them for their religion. Do you see the big NCAA schools playing 8 man football on saturdays?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TheMagician

Heard a hot little rumor just the other day. I am sure it is probably more towards the truth than towards a rumor given the past.

Apparently the infamous Sean Tuohy (see Michael Oher, Greg Hardy, others) is about to go on another athlete shopping spree for Briarcrest. I have heard of at least one kid who is transferring bc Tuohy (who's son will be a freshman next year) has stated on numerous occasions, that he will ensure that his son is on winning teams by surrounding him with great talent..hmmm

This is sad! Thanks for single handedly giving private schools a bad name. It is amazing that the between the NCAA and the TSSAA, no one has punished this man despite the mountains of evidence (including his own admission in the BLIND SIDE book) of paying for players.

There is a right way (giving kids financial aid based on need as established by the government) and the wrong way (buying players).

I do. Alcoa plays in the 2nd smallest classification. That puts them in the bottom 40% of all schools size wise. Does it make you wonder how they regularly beat 5A and D2 teams?

Let's talk about size and championships. I doubt you will find a smaller county square mile or population wise then Trousdale. Do they have any issues competing at a high level year in and out? Why can't other schools do the same?

I do not wonder why Alcoa beats 5A, DII, 4A, 3A, and 2A. They have an open zone school that allows transfer students to pay tuition without moving into their zone. They should play private or have the multiplier applied to their population. I do not think any open zone school would have the success they have had in the past if they played with just students in their real zone. They do not play with their own students in their zone because they cannot win as much without their tuition paying out of zone players. I feel sorry for students that do not participate or get to play as much if they play behind these tuition paying students. I guess these schools like Alcoa and Maryville only care about winning and not about students in their zone who suffer by not getting to participate or play as much. I guess winning is not the most important thing, it is the only thing!

It is pretty simple. DIV II was created for private schools...they should all go and play there...divide up however they want.

They all recruit, some are just honest about it. I have coached many youth in my area. Only this past summer I had a gentleman inquire about a player. I happened to be talking with the players dad at that time, within thirty minutes he had an offer, free ride through high school and full transportation.....all he had to do was play football. Oh by the way the offering gentleman was the head coach of a private school that doesn't recruit or offer scholarships. The kid is awesome by the way.

I do not wonder why Alcoa beats 5A, DII, 4A, 3A, and 2A. They have an open zone school that allows transfer students to pay tuition without moving into their zone. They should play private or have the multiplier applied to their population. I do not think any open zone school would have the success they have had in the past if they played with just students in their real zone. They do not play with their own students in their zone because they cannot win as much without their tuition paying out of zone players. I feel sorry for students that do not participate or get to play as much if they play behind these tuition paying students. I guess these schools like Alcoa and Maryville only care about winning and not about students in their zone who suffer by not getting to participate or play as much. I guess winning is not the most important thing, it is the only thing!

I am amazed at the amount of ignorance one paragraph can contain. 2 points: 1) Any school system in the state can open their schools to any students if they so wished. Nothing prevents them from doing but local policy. Open zones and school choice are the future; embrace it or get run over; 2) Believe it or not, almost all of the students that play for Alcoa, Maryville, or Oak Ridge really do live there. Tuition students are a small minority and most of them do not play sports.

The assertion put forward by Private School haters in this state is that they have a built-in competitive advantage as to where they get their students. Other posters have demolished this argument by simply pointing out the success of public schools that compete very favorably with top tier privates, ie. Alcoa and Maryville.

Again, the competitive problem lies not with the private schools, but with very small public schools in rural TN. Again, let's segregate them out and form a division for them. Then put everybody else together and let competition raise the level of football in this state.

It is pretty simple. DIV II was created for private schools...they should all go and play there...divide up however they want.

They all recruit, some are just honest about it. I have coached many youth in my area. Only this past summer I had a gentleman inquire about a player. I happened to be talking with the players dad at that time, within thirty minutes he had an offer, free ride through high school and full transportation.....all he had to do was play football. Oh by the way the offering gentleman was the head coach of a private school that doesn't recruit or offer scholarships. The kid is awesome by the way.

Then call or write the TSSAA regarding this head coach.

BTW. Division II was created for private schools that provide financial aid. There is a diffference.

There seems to be no viable way to fully monitor and police recruiting. In an honest world, self policing would work (which is basically the system that is in place). The problem is that the individuals that are dishonest enough to be illegally recruiting cannot be trusted to self police, and those that are honest and see it being done and try to report it are branded liars.

Recruiting happens, public and private. I am to the point of believing that high school sports are going to have to take a more college approach. Let the recruiting happen, but only within the bounds of keeping amature sports amature. Pay tuition, books, fees, etc, but dont put money in kids or parents pockets, dont buy houses, etc.