Temple

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty much what it is. The Board of Control is made up of a representative from a school in each of the 9 districts.

Board of Control

ZP,

You can understand my skepticism when I look at the board of control and see 0 private schools on it. 20% of the kids in the state attend privates. 9 board members and 0 private school ADs. Every ruling by the TSSAA for the last 10 years has been against privates. There is a pattern here I think, and while I hope that anyone who violates rules will be punished, I really think that the privates always getting tried by the publics can't be called fair. Many of the good points on these boards (a merit system rather than multiplier/DII for instance) will never get air simply because the publics are in control and something like a merit system would force many elite public programs to play up just like the privates have been forced to.

I still think the idea of a trial by a jury with at least some of your peers on it is a good idea.

ZP,

You can understand my skepticism when I look at the board of control and see 0 private schools on it. 20% of the kids in the state attend privates. 9 board members and 0 private school ADs. Every ruling by the TSSAA for the last 10 years has been against privates. There is a pattern here I think, and while I hope that anyone who violates rules will be punished, I really think that the privates always getting tried by the publics can't be called fair. Many of the good points on these boards (a merit system rather than multiplier/DII for instance) will never get air simply because the publics are in control and something like a merit system would force many elite public programs to play up just like the privates have been forced to.

I still think the idea of a trial by a jury with at least some of your peers on it is a good idea.

I understand your skepticism but in the good old USA the majority rules. That is just how it works.

I understand your skepticism but in the good old USA the majority rules. That is just how it works.

That's crap. It is supposed to be a representative government in the " good old USA " and I would think the idea should make it's way to organizations in charge of state high school athletics as well. The private schools should have some voice in TSSAA.

Six wolves and one sheep voting on what is for lunch is an example of majority rules. Doesn't necessarily make it right though.

ZP,

this is a good point. would it be unreasonable to ask that at least one private school be represented on the board, especially since the installment of the multiplier? isn't there something to be said about a system of checks and balances?

That's crap. It is supposed to be a representative government in the " good old USA " and I would think the idea should make it's way to organizations in charge of state high school athletics as well. The private schools should have some voice in TSSAA.

Six wolves and one sheep voting on what is for lunch is an example of majority rules. Doesn't necessarily make it right though.

All private schools have one vote for the representitive from their district when the Legislative Council is elected just like the public schools do. Private schools can nominate someone to run just like the public schools do. Private schools can offer up changes and admendments just like public schools do. So what you really want to do is forget about fair elections and just put a private school representitive on the Council?

All private schools have one vote for the representitive from their district when the Legislative Council is elected just like the public schools do. Private schools can nominate someone to run just like the public schools do. Private schools can offer up changes and admendments just like public schools do. So what you really want to do is forget about fair elections and just put a private school representitive on the Council?

We are back to the sheep and wolves example. How many private schools are there in a district ? How many public schools are there ? I suspect public schools far outnumber the privates. A more reasonable way to do it would be to let the private schools vote on a private school represenitive for the panel. If 20 % of the students attend private school I don't think having a like number of representives is asking too much. It may help you to take a look at how and why the US senate is set up.

We are back to the sheep and wolves example. How many private schools are there in a district ? How many public schools are there ? I suspect public schools far outnumber the privates. A more reasonable way to do it would be to let the private schools vote on a private school represenitive for the panel. If 20 % of the students attend private school I don't think having a like number of representives is asking too much. It may help you to take a look at how and why the US senate is set up.

Maybe the privates should get a multiplier for representation? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

The way to avoid any "potential" issues is to refrain from breaking the rules so you don't get penalized so there is nothing to appeal... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> No one forces your private school to participate in TSSAA... it is optional so if you don't like the way it runs, option your rear end right on out!.... Just a source of irritation!.....

OK. You have hit my buttons now.

This is the same public school-dominated Board of Control which created D2 because Riverdale, whose principal was on the Board of Control, got beat by BA in the 1995 5A football state championship.

This is the same public school-dominated Board of Control which created the multiplier rule because Collinwood lost to a private school in the state playoffs the year the principal's son was a senior.

This is the same public school-dominated BOC which consistently makes decisions that favor public schools to the detriment of high school sports as a whole.

You are correct no one forces private schools to participate in the TSSAA. However, the TSSAA is the one only sanctioning body recognized by the National Federation of State high School (NFHS) for the state of Tennessee. It is been declared by court ruling as a "state actor" and functions as a monopoly.

As a member in good standing of the TSSAA, a school whether public or private should expect fair and equitable treatment and that has hardly been the case. Just like the colonies in 1776, we have taxation without representation.

I understand what you are saying but the US Senate has 2 representatives elected by popular vote from each state, not one from each party or ethnic background. So if 20% of the county belongs to one independent party you think they should have 20% of the Senate seats even if they don't have a majority in any state? That's what you are suggesting. The Senate is elected by majority vote by the people in that state which is in essence what the Council has in their districts.