Temple

I don't remember anyone complaining that Temple's side wasn't reported before the case was closed. Temple is complaining that they aren't given an opportunity to give their side now.

I have written on here repeatedly that I think Temple made several mistakes and that punishment was deserved. But until proven otherwise, I continue to believe they're honest, good people.

I'll think about calling Hargis, but up until hearing the prospect of his writing a story in defense of himself, I really haven't had a problem with him. But I don't see a conversation with him being any different than messaging with you.

It would be just a little different talking to him in person. I think you have to hear a person actually say something, phone or in person, to get a feel for his personality. You can't do that on a message board. I have heard that some in the Temple Admin (and one booster in particular) think I am Hargis. I'll give you my number if you want to call me too.

The Temple complaints are that Stephen did not give them the opportunities tell Temple's side of the story. Don't whitewash it now. The truth is they were given those opportunities before every article that was written and they (Pearson and Marcum both) turned him down. Just ask them and see what they say. Then they held this one sided "forum" to complain about how they were mistreated by Stephen and the TSSAA. If you can't see that you are being blinded by your own loyality. They may be honest, good people but they are still making big mistakes that are still hurting Temple's reputation. A little humility would have gone a long way towards getting a little sympathy and understanding.

I do think you and Green Acres have been pretty level headed about the penalties given. I just wish your admin had the same common sense as the two of you seem to have

I have talked to a couple of Temple folks that are not happy with the "Forum". They think it was ill advised.

BTW, Be sure to check out Stephen's article in Friday's paper

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please tell me why Temple's football program was the only sport penalized when its a known fact that not only Skogen but the other player were playing illegally on the team? Why were they not stripped of their state championship? There is no mention of the basketball program being fined in any way why is that? Skogen openly admitted he was not being paid to Ronnie Carter how much more proof do they need? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Can someone please tell me why Temple's football program was the only sport penalized when its a known fact that not only Skogen but the other player were playing illegally on the team? Why were they not stripped of their state championship? There is no mention of the basketball program being fined in any way why is that? Skogen openly admitted he was not being paid to Ronnie Carter how much more proof do they need? /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

That's why Temple got off easy along with other things. The Temple admin doesn't want to see that

Known fact? Facts can be proven. Please, prove that any players played illegally on the basketball team.

Known fact? Facts can be proven. Please, prove that any players played illegally on the basketball team.

Larson practiced in the spring of '06 while he was still at Southeast Whitfield. That would mean he had prearranged contact with a coach at Temple and that would make him ineligible for the entire year in any sport for the '06-'07 season.

I think what he is talking about is the Skogen tuition thing. By the letter of the rules that was a violation and the Skogens were ineligible for basketball as well as football all year. The TSSAA let Temple slide on that one by late filing IRS paperwork. Also when Larson practiced in the Spring he probably should have been ineligible also. The TSSAA let Temple slide on that one too along with some other things. Temple should be thanking Ronnie carter.

It was funny in the radio program how Larson practicing and how Skogen's tuition deal got resolved was never discussed. All about the 2 CSAS kids who never played and Chastain's kid...over and over. They didn't want to discuss the truth...they wanted to spin it Temple style /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I think what he is talking about is the Skogen tuition thing. By the letter of the rules that was a violation and the Skogens were ineligible for basketball as well as football all year. The TSSAA let Temple slide on that one by late filing IRS paperwork. Also when Larson practiced in the Spring he probably should have been ineligible also. The TSSAA let Temple slide on that one too along with some other things. Temple should be thanking Ronnie carter.

It was funny in the radio program how Larson practicing and how Skogen's tuition deal got resolved was never discussed. All about the 2 CSAS kids who never played and Chastain's kid...over and over. They didn't want to discuss the truth...they wanted to spin it Temple style /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

ZP, why do you think that the TSSAA did not do anything with Larson? I wonder if it was because it was not a specific charge included in the letter against Temple by CSAS? Somebody who played Temple in football , like Sequatchie (are you listening Indian?) ought to get their school to write a letter to the TSSAA bringing up the fact that Larson's spring participation was a violation of the recruiting rule due to contact and also was a violation of the practice rule while not being enrolled while practicing in the spring and that made him ineligible for twelve months at Temple, not to mention what a recruiting violation would mean. I don't think that the "book" is completely closed on all of this yet.

ZP, why do you think that the TSSAA did not do anything with Larson? I wonder if it was because it was not a specific charge included in the letter against Temple by CSAS? Somebody who played Temple in football , like Sequatchie (are you listening Indian?) ought to get their school to write a letter to the TSSAA bringing up the fact that Larson's spring participation was a violation of the recruiting rule due to contact and also was a violation of the practice rule while not being enrolled while practicing in the spring and that made him ineligible for twelve months at Temple, not to mention what a recruiting violation would mean. I don't think that the "book" is completely closed on all of this yet.

I think the violation of the practice rule is real clear in the rules. Making a connection between that and recruiting is not as clear in the rules. Undue influence is the key word in recruiting. If the kids parents had already signed attendance contracts before the kids started practicing undue influence would be hard to show without the parents going on the rocord about the intial contact. For example one of the CSAS Dads decided not to go one record about how his son ended up at Temple. Below is part of the TSSAA guidelines that must be posted at each school

Guidelines For Understanding The "Recruiting Rule" and Understanding "What Is Undue Influence?"

1. The major theme of the "recruiting rule" is not "initial contact." The major theme is "exceeding what is normal and appropriate." Initial contact can be a violation, but is only one of many things that can exceed what is normal and appropriate.

2. One key is not treating "athletes" or "prospective athletes" any differently than students who are not athletes.

3. Students should be seen as students and not singled out based on their potential athletic ability.

4. Pre-arranged contact is seen in the same manner as initial contact.

5. Any student or family or individual that contacts a coach about attending a school where he/she coaches should be informed that they need to contact the principal, admissions department, or guidance department if they have an interest.

6. Any meeting with coaches regarding athletes or prospective athletes or their families should be at the request of the family to the individual(s) responsible for admissions and should take place at the school.