Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe the previous coach and the school administration didn't understand this was against the rules. And it sounds like there's still more to be investigated. If they wanted to have athletes in school with tuition paid for them, there was a simple solution, join Division II.

According to Carter, if the allegations are accurate about non-faculty coaches not having to pay their children's tuition, there will be numerous penalties, including stripping the basketball program of its state title and the football team of its region title.

Temple principal Connie Pearson denied having agreed to pay for Coach Chastain's son's tuition but said the school did take care of the tuition cost for Seth and Joey Skogen.

Maybe they put out an Extra, read all about it edition, at midnight for benefit of all the folks curious about it. A lot of people were thinking this was coming, and like the article said, they're still looking at more possible violations. The transfers from N GA will be looked at closely, I'm sure. It's not everyday a team, public or private, has an quality senior quarterback and quality senior tailback just drop in to the program.

I find it hard to believe the previous coach and the school administration didn't understand this was against the rules. And it sounds like there's still more to be investigated. If they wanted to have athletes in school with tuition paid for them, there was a simple solution, join Division II.

According to Carter, if the allegations are accurate about non-faculty coaches not having to pay their children's tuition, there will be numerous penalties, including stripping the basketball program of its state title and the football team of its region title.

Temple principal Connie Pearson denied having agreed to pay for Coach Chastain's son's tuition but said the school did take care of the tuition cost for Seth and Joey Skogen.

The snowball has gotten really big and it ain't stopped rolling yet. I really feel sorry for this year's kids. They will have to pay for something they were not part of.

Maybe this will become a domino effect and may not stop with Temple. To avoid joining Temple, You may see a few top programs take a dive downward. The word is out. There will be a lot of digging for evidence on questionable programs in the future. Maybe the finger pointing has worked. May cause the region champs to show eligibility before the final games are played. How many open titles will it take to bring down the entire system as we know it? Corruption seldom stops by example. Otherwise this would be the first offence.

Now what happens with the state title in basketball? This has gotten dirty hasnt it? Thats why I suspect the TSSAA wont stop here. Cant afford not to correct the entire system. Or their duties may be in question.

Maybe this will become a domino effect and may not stop with Temple. To avoid joining Temple, You may see a few top programs take a dive downward. The word is out. There will be a lot of digging for evidence on questionable programs in the future. Maybe the finger pointing has worked. May cause the region champs to show eligibility before the final games are played. How many open titles will it take to bring down the entire system as we know it? Corruption seldom stops by example. Otherwise this would be the first offence.

Now what happens with the state title in basketball? This has gotten dirty hasnt it? Thats why I suspect the TSSAA wont stop here. Cant afford not to correct the entire system. Or their duties may be in question.

"The word is out. There will be a lot of digging for evidence on questionable programs in the future."

Doubt it. Temple brought this entirely on themselves and literally delivered the smoking gun to the folks at TSSAA.

I can not believe the statement made by Skogen in the paper,one breath I did not know getting free education was wrong but then blaming Temple in the next breath and saying we tried to tell them the rules on recruiting.In case he did not know (ha ha) the TSSAA is looking into possible violation on prior years players. I hope this is a good example for other christian schools that winning at all cost can only hurt the integrity of the school and church.SILVERDALE PLEASE TAKE NOTE

TFP must be working overtime. Like I said

Thanks for the link. Indeed, the hammer has fallen. Ronnie Carter doesnt seem to be pulling any punches either. Its really gonna hurt Temple, a school that doesnt have much money, to pay back TSSAA for all those games. And being stripped of all the titles. It also kinda makes me upset how Kevin Skogen is totally just selling out Temple. The place where his kids grew up is now the same place he's trying to make look as bad as possible. I hate to see how this affects his reputation as a pastor. I feel bad for the new AD and the kids over there who have had nothing to do with this whole scenerio, but will have to pay the brunt of the consequences for it. But rules are rules, they have made their bed, now it's time for them to lie in it.

I can not believe the statement made by Skogen in the paper,one breath I did not know getting free education was wrong but then blaming Temple in the next breath and saying we tried to tell them the rules on recruiting.In case he did not know (ha ha) the TSSAA is looking into possible violation on prior years players. I hope this is a good example for other christian schools that winning at all cost can only hurt the integrity of the school and church.SILVERDALE PLEASE TAKE NOTE

Chris Neighbors at Silverdale would welcome a visit from Ronnie Carter, Silverdale has nothing to hide.