Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just was glad to read King Ronnie was focused on the money the T$$AA gets out of this in the article.

In all seriousness, I feel very sorry for those involved there this year that were not part of this and are going to have to suffer.

And to answer the question of what happens to their titles - if they follow suit as they did with the 2005 USJ baseball team, then the T$$AA will say the title was vacated and no state or region champion will be awarded or recognized.

Every head coach in a tssaa school is required to read and sign that you have read the recruiting manual published by the tssaa. By saying they did not know the rules they are admitting they did not read the manual given to them by tssaa. This is a process you have to go through every year. They have no excuse, nor does any other high school coach in Tennessee.

I'm suggesting that all responsible admin along with all coaches should sign a copy of the entire rules handbook, recruiting is not the only problem especially in this case. According to TSSAA rules the principal is ultimately responsible for the athletic program following the rules. Temple's principal did not know or said she did not know the rules

While everyone is prognosticating and blowing things out of proportion, try to keep your imaginations in check. From what I can gather having just read the article and reading all these posts, some of you guys did not score well on college exams for reading comprehension.

All the paper did today was shed more light on the scope of the investigation. The TSSAA has not issued a ruling - yet - and I think we would all be better off waiting patiently for that verdict rather than what you thought you read in the paper. The writer, Stephen Hargis, is doing an excellent job of investigating the issue and seems to be exercising great care in making sure of the veracity of his research before it is printed, but he does not represent the TSSAA and will not be a part of the discussions that are and will be taking place by the TSSAA.

Some of you guys have been standing on the edge waiting for the opportunity to jump on Temple (and Silverdale???) I think you may have accidently fallen, prematurely. The article is not a formal indictment of any wrongdoing. You have assumed that Temple must be guilty so any little tidbit of information that seems to point in that direction sends you into some kind of shark-like feeding frenzy.

I whole heartedly agree that if Temple has committed clear offenses, then give us our punishment. Make us an example. Let our administration learn the hard way. Send a message, loud and clear, to all the sports teams, AD's, coaches, etc. that there are consequences for not knowing the rules and/or knowingly violating rules. You may be surprised to discover that the majority of people (I have not polled anyone) feel the same way. We will gladly take the punishment we deserve, whatever it is. Even though it may be hurtful, it will be more beneficial to our program and school and others in the long run.

If Temple has done wrong, it is an issue that is focuses on the activities of the last year since Dan Wadley and Clayton Hunt left. There never was any accusations of rules violations while they were here. Some of you are trying to take isolated incidences and justify empty past suspicions that simply are not true. Whatever violations occurred, have taken place under Dr. Persons rule.

Some have taken stabs at Skogen. From my perspective, having watched Kevin for a number of years now from a distance, there now is no person in the athletic program at Temple who even comes close to the godly character of Kevin Skogen. When asked what he thought about the future of Temple's football program, he gave an honest answer and then suffered unusual abuses from the leadership because he told them what they did not want to hear. When interviewed in the paper, he answered honestly. Neither he nor Steve have any desire to hurt Temple. Steve's kids still attend. Remember they said in the newspaper article that they were afraid that this was going to happen because the administration refused to listen to what they were trying to tell them.

Just was glad to read King Ronnie was focused on the money the T$$AA gets out of this in the article.

In all seriousness, I feel very sorry for those involved there this year that were not part of this and are going to have to suffer.

And to answer the question of what happens to their titles - if they follow suit as they did with the 2005 USJ baseball team, then the T$$AA will say the title was vacated and no state or region champion will be awarded or recognized.

I guess they need to replenish their drained coffers after the Brentwood case.

To echo what Pasture said, as a Temple alum I believe Temple should be punished for any wrongdoing, accept their punishment gracefully, and learn from any mistakes. Ignorance of the rules by administration is not an acceptable excuse. Everything Temple does should be above board and beyond reproach. This is not the time to look for a scapegoat, but the time for someone at Temple to step up and take responsibility for the future of the school.

If Temple has done wrong, it is an issue that is focuses on the activities of the last year since Dan Wadley and Clayton Hunt left. There never was any accusations of rules violations while they were here. Some of you are trying to take isolated incidences and justify empty past suspicions that simply are not true. Whatever violations occurred, have taken place under Dr. Persons rule.

Some have taken stabs at Skogen. From my perspective, having watched Kevin for a number of years now from a distance, there now is no person in the athletic program at Temple who even comes close to the godly character of Kevin Skogen. When asked what he thought about the future of Temple's football program, he gave an honest answer and then suffered unusual abuses from the leadership because he told them what they did not want to hear. When interviewed in the paper, he answered honestly. Neither he nor Steve have any desire to hurt Temple. Steve's kids still attend. Remember they said in the newspaper article that they were afraid that this was going to happen because the administration refused to listen to what they were trying to tell them.

Sounds like more whistling ????

You have a good point. I think the fact that the Admin was involved will be the most damaging part of the whole situation. The NCCAA calls it "Lack of Institutional Control". I also believe Coach Skogen and Coach Beard were simply telling the truth about what they told the Admin and what the Admin was doing or condoning. Since they seem to be spilling the beans then it will get worse before it gets better.

While everyone is prognosticating and blowing things out of proportion, try to keep your imaginations in check. From what I can gather having just read the article and reading all these posts, some of you guys did not score well on college exams for reading comprehension.

All the paper did today was shed more light on the scope of the investigation. The TSSAA has not issued a ruling - yet - and I think we would all be better off waiting patiently for that verdict rather than what you thought you read in the paper. The writer, Stephen Hargis, is doing an excellent job of investigating the issue and seems to be exercising great care in making sure of the veracity of his research before it is printed, but he does not represent the TSSAA and will not be a part of the discussions that are and will be taking place by the TSSAA.

Some of you guys have been standing on the edge waiting for the opportunity to jump on Temple (and Silverdale???) I think you may have accidently fallen, prematurely. The article is not a formal indictment of any wrongdoing. You have assumed that Temple must be guilty so any little tidbit of information that seems to point in that direction sends you into some kind of shark-like feeding frenzy.

I whole heartedly agree that if Temple has committed clear offenses, then give us our punishment. Make us an example. Let our administration learn the hard way. Send a message, loud and clear, to all the sports teams, AD's, coaches, etc. that there are consequences for not knowing the rules and/or knowingly violating rules. You may be surprised to discover that the majority of people (I have not polled anyone) feel the same way. We will gladly take the punishment we deserve, whatever it is. Even though it may be hurtful, it will be more beneficial to our program and school and others in the long run.

Good post Pasture. While I will admit that there are some on here that are in a feeding frenzy I am sure there are some of us on this topic (and I could be one of them) that may look like we are doing the same thing but are more or less watching to see what happens. The only interest I really have in it is the fact that Temple is a region opponent. But I am actually hoping that the hammer doesn't fall or if it does I hope that it doesn't fall too hard.

From reading the article I didn't neccessarily think that Skogen was trying to throw Temple under the bus but I can see how people could read it that way. I don't know Skogen as a person so I can't comment on his character so I will take your word for it. I will say that if he did know of improprieties then he possibly could have done some things differently. But then hindsight is 20/20. Again, I don't know him so I don't know what he may or may not have done. He may have tried to do things in a way that would be the best way possible but did not get mentioned in the article.

Still, if the TSSAA does hand out a punishment to Temple the current players and fans are the ones that suffer. The few who are responsible should be the ones that have to pay the consequences.

To echo what Pasture said, as a Temple alum I believe Temple should be punished for any wrongdoing, accept their punishment gracefully, and learn from any mistakes. Ignorance of the rules by administration is not an acceptable excuse. Everything Temple does should be above board and beyond reproach. This is not the time to look for a scapegoat, but the time for someone at Temple to step up and take responsibility for the future of the school.

Good post

You are not even worth talking to .You avoid the truth and must have missed both parts where skogen and pearson both admitted swapping free tution for coaching. A direct violation for a volunteer coach.The way you go back and forth with your post over the last year either states paint chips that were sniffed at an early age or just really ,really naive.Watch and learn like every other thing you have been wrong about.

The TSSAA should set an example with us if we are guilty of wrongdoing. And if we are guilty of wrongdoing then we need to set an example on how to take our punishment without whimpering and trying to blame others.

Obviously, I think we need to stand tall and take it like a man. The only thing that really tears me up about all this and I know you guys feel the same way, is what it means to the kids to vacate titles that they worked hard for and to not be eligible for any more titles for the next 1-2 years. Correct me if I am wrong, I do not know the rules very well, but if there is a probation period, it affects all the sports, right? Which means that what Scott may have done in the football program could affect basketball, baseball, etc. and that what Dr. Pearson may have done with the tuition issue, may rob us of a region football title and a state basketball title as well as the region and district titles.

By the way, I did not intend to be offensive in my earlier philosphizing ( ) and I appreciate you kind and gracious remarks.